• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books selling far above or far below OSPG

26 posts in this topic

I've been to some comic shops where everything, both buying and selling, is based off of OSPG.

Can you think of any books that are selling for a lot more or a lot less than what they are listed at in OSPG?

Most raw bronze sells for under. In fact, most silver does too.

Your question is simply to broad and would take way too much time to try to answer in detail. I'll offer some guidelines and then a few specific books.

Run type books - that is non-keys - in average condition are mostly overpriced.

Books that are listed in the OSPG for $10 or less in NM - - have no real value other than reading copies (that is a buck) when less than NM. Most of the time.

Books worth more. I'll restrict my comments to what you are likely to find in a comic shop. Because there are GA and SA books that are underpriced. They tend to be books that don't sell very often. Young Men 24 for instance.

Anything that a TV show or movie has been announced since the last price guide was published OR a character has been revealed to be in an upcoming movie is likely selling for substantially more than the guide lists. Some examples:

Ultron - Avengers 55

Black Panther - FF 52

The Collector (GOTG- Avengers 28

Hero for Hire 1

Preacher 1

Sandman 1

Constantine - Swamp Thing 37 and Hellblazer 1

There's a start for you

I've been to some comic shops where everything, both buying and selling, is based off of OSPG.

Can you think of any books that are selling for a lot more or a lot less than what they are listed at in OSPG?

Most raw bronze sells for under. In fact, most silver does too.

...particularly for non-keys less than vf (a good dealer has them at 50% off typically).

"I've been to some comic shops where everything, both buying and selling, is based off of OSPG."

Those tend to be the ones that sit on inventory until sale events.

Good dealers use a multitude of pricing information to provide a fair, but profitable margin on any book they are buying/selling (they are running a business after all).

Greasy grimy gofer guts dealers use a multitude of pricing information to pick the most unreasonable (but available) pricing possible on any book they are buying/selling (ranges from cents to hundred or thousands under/over fair market value). They pick the lowest price possible to buy (plus give the whole "I need to make a buck" spiel) and similar logic on finding the highest price possible to sell (plus a little extra because it is "so rare" or "prices are climbing like crazy").

Really world, gofers out weight the good 10 to 1.

Moral of the story, you shouldn't just use one source of data to price anything and don't trust anyone you don't already know.

:preach:(shrug):sorry:

Also, I was way off topic.... :signofftopic:

Go into a big comic shop and ask them which older books they are sold out of and you will get a complete list of books that are selling for more than price guide. All the stores I go to are stripped clean of all "hot" books way before I get there.

Once Ebay came along it became more a source for information then a price guide. They are LAZY and don't want to deal with the constant flow of price data, they wont even attempt to price above 9.2, what good is a so called price guide that cops out??? They want us to fill in the blanks... seriously?? They have not changed with the times.

Lots of 90's indy stuff going for way over guide, and in a lot of cases - deservedly so. Cry for Dawn lately has been on a tear, Evil Ernie (Eternity) constantly over guide (I always miss out on them) and the Crow seems to move at a little over guide pretty easily. These are books that I'm always watching, and they are always over guide - especially in high grade. Low print run books from the 90s in high grade are justifiably going for a premium.

Books that are under priced in OSPG fall into two categories.

1. Books that get hot due to recent announcements/events (i.e. Movies). Overstreet wont be caught up on these. Avengers55, Avengers 28, and so on.

2. Books that OSPG has never caught up with what the market pays. Pre-Code Horror, Atlas, and such.

Also historically Overstreet had a very consistent price escalation from lower grads (2.0, 4.0) to midgrades (6.0, 8.0) to high grades (9.0+)

For highly valued silver age "keys" where the high grade books are in the stratospehere, we have seen the market start to inflate lower grade prices as the high grade books end up pricing out much of the market, creating more competition for lower grade books. As a result The value escalation has shifted.

Atlas books from the 50's are undervalued by ospg. Not all. But some.

I usually double the value of Atlas books from the price I see in ospg for the grade I own to get a better idea. Less collectors but less nice books :/

I stopped buying the OSPG years ago. Ebay completed sales along with info from auction sites and even Metro's inventory prices are a much better barometer of what things actually sell for, and of course for graded books that are sold frequently enough, GPA is very helpful. I've also gleaned valuable info on pricing based on what books sell for on the boards.

Unless the info is included in the listing, I really have no idea any more whether or not I'm paying above or below guide for anything I buy, or if I'm listing above or below guide when I sell.