• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saw Amazing SpiderMan 2

415 posts in this topic

I love the fact that our movies get shown around the world for weeks before they ever get to theaters here. This has been going on for a few years now and it shows our neighborly support of all third world countries and how we love to sacrifice and put them before our own needs.

I still don't understand why they do that.

Bigger audience - more money to generate.

Then IDK what to tell you.

I feel I am re-reading the Bendis story-lines almost in the first 2 seconds of the first movie.

I don't think Tobey was brutal as Spider-man, but he didn't do the character justice either.

Green Goblin just from the previews is already better than the 2002 version.

I love USM and have since it started. I was about 14 or 15 when it came out and I remember being blown away. I've re-read the entire USM run 5+ times.

How does the current film represent USM? Was Uncle Ben at all like President Bartlett? Was Aunt May? The love interest between Gwen and Peter?

My big gripe is always going to be the way Peter slammed the door and spoke to Uncle Ben. Did something like that happen in USM?

If you think the Amazing Spider-Man film is like USM, then you are doing Bendis' work a huge disservice, IMO.

Comics are a guide for the movies they don't ever follow the story-lines even 10% besides the origins.

IMO Bendis has always been a disservice to comics.

He is overrated except for the first 10 issues of USM.

USM #25-last issues were complete garbage.

Well in real life kids do get mad at their parents and slam a door so if that really bothers you in the movie then I don't think we will agree on much of anything. That is nit picking and really who cares.

You did a great job supporting your point (thumbs u

Does a comic book movie have to be exactly like the original source material?

Did anyone say it did? I didn't even make the comparison. I just refuted it.

However, it needs to capture the essence of the characters. If you look at my original point, Peter always felt relatable to all. People always call him the "Everyman" or whatever- he is more the every teen though. He should be a character that a 12 year old can see themselves in, and a character that a 40+ year old can see themselves in. They captured this in the silver age, and I think Bendis did a good job modernizing the story and again capturing it.

However, they didn't succeed in the film. The things Peter did in school and with his Uncle just felt off. He wasn't a character that I wanted my children to learn from. He was rude and disrespectful towards his parents. He was destructive of school property to show up a boy. Sure Peter in the book made mistakes, but the mistakes in the film felt bigger.

I feel I am re-reading the Bendis story-lines almost in the first 2 seconds of the first movie.

I don't think Tobey was brutal as Spider-man, but he didn't do the character justice either.

I love USM and have since it started. I was about 14 or 15 when it came out and I remember being blown away. I've re-read the entire USM run 5+ times.

How does the current film represent USM? Was Uncle Ben at all like President Bartlett? Was Aunt May? The love interest between Gwen and Peter?

My big gripe is always going to be the way Peter slammed the door and spoke to Uncle Ben. Did something like that happen in USM?

If you think the Amazing Spider-Man film is like USM, then you are doing Bendis' work a huge disservice, IMO.

Comics are a guide for the movies they don't ever follow the story-lines even 10% besides the origins.

Well in real life kids do get mad at their parents and slam a door so if that really bothers you in the movie then I don't think we will agree on much of anything. That is nit picking and really who cares.

You did a predicable job being a dork fan boy and crying about utter nonsense.

I don't have time to sit here go back and forth bantering about this trivia garbage about slamming doors. :screwy:

If you are a Spider-man fan and can't get excited about seeing your favorite character on screen with now 5 pictures then that is your shortcomings.

I can see how Spider-man 3 was a major disappointment, but anyone to say ASM 1 was terrible I just can't be bothered talking to if you are a Spider-man fan.

Do you mean all his work, or just on Spiderman? I think is Daredevil run is unequaled on the title, even topping Miller, although it's very, very close. I also enjoyed Pulse, although I expect I'm in the minority there.

I can't speak to his Avengers work or us USM.

I don't have time to sit here go back and forth bantering about this trivia garbage about slamming doors. :screwy:

If you are a Spider-man fan and can't get excited about seeing your favorite character on screen with now 5 pictures then that is your shortcomings.

I can see how Spider-man 3 was a major disappointment, but anyone to say ASM 1 was terrible I just can't be bothered talking to if you are a Spider-man fan.

I appreciate the insults and putting words in my mouth.

You made a comment about how the film was Lee and Ditko's ideas come to life:

Ditko and Lee version of Spider-man has finally coming to screen with Garfield.

I disagreed with your point and then you did a 180 and said it was USM:

I simply disagreed with both those points and asked you to support them. You didn't and instead insulted me.

I never said I wasn't excited to see the films or even called them terrible. Heck, I'll probably see the film opening day with my daughter. If anything, I get more a kick out of her seeing the films on the big screen and I enjoy them for that reason alone.

Nice talking to a fellow Spider-Man fan in a mature manner though. I love the well spoken, intelligent Spider-Man fans (thumbs u

I enjoyed ASM 2..I am a die hard Spidey fan so I am biased. I go to the theater to be entertained. And it did that. I didn't compare it to the comics etc. I just really had a fun time with it. They set up for the off shoot movies and the mid-credit scene was great..And I am a 47 yr old Spidey fan..I just thought the movie was awesome. If your looking for something that will be cathartic to you, try a depp movie or something thats supposed to have hidden meaning behind the movie..If you just want to have a fun time, go see this..

You are 100% right.

:golfclap:^^ and +1000000000 to you

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Are you one of those fanboys who think that "it's impossible to make a bad Spider-man movie" and simply because it exists, it must be worshiped?

If so, that's pretty sad.

I find imdb user ratings generally much more reliable than rotten tomatoes or the review of any one person.

Seriously? IMDB is chock full of dateless fanboys all trying to artificially raise the rating of their favorite franchise. They create multiple IDs, and spend all their free time giving 1's to franchises that challenge the franchises they gave 10's to.

This happens all the time with ST vs SW vs LOTR or ASM vs Batman.

(thumbs u

I enjoyed ASM 2..I am a die hard Spidey fan so I am biased. I go to the theater to be entertained. And it did that. I didn't compare it to the comics etc. I just really had a fun time with it. They set up for the off shoot movies and the mid-credit scene was great..And I am a 47 yr old Spidey fan..I just thought the movie was awesome. If your looking for something that will be cathartic to you, try a depp movie or something thats supposed to have hidden meaning behind the movie..If you just want to have a fun time, go see this..

You are 100% right.

:applause:

The regular people (non nerds) who have seen this overseas are all raving about how fun this movie is. The kids love it and that's who it was made for. Take your kids to go see it and they'll leave the theater very happy.

You are 100% right.

The regular people (non nerds) who have seen this overseas are all raving about how fun this movie is. The kids love it and that's who it was made for. Take your kids to go see it and they'll leave the theater very happy.

Just like the Joel Schumacher Batman movies!

Does a comic book movie have to be exactly like the original source material?

Of course not.

People do the same thing with books though... compare it to the movie and say the book was better. (shrug)

True.

But I'm loathe to compare Catcher in the Rye with the New Mutants.

You are 100% right.

Except those movies killed the franchise while these ASM movies are making billions of dollars and they have several more in the works plus spin-offs. So obviously these ASM movies are not "just like" the Joel Schumacher Batman movies. ;)

You are 100% right.

Exactly!

Hey, wait a minute...

You are 100% right.

Except those movies killed the franchise while these ASM movies are making billions of dollars and they have several more in the works plus spin-offs. So obviously these ASM movies are not "just like" the Joel Schumacher Batman movies. ;)

In the U.S., Batman Forever (1997) did $184 million domestic ($286 million adjusted) compared to 2012's Amazing Spider-man at $262 million domestic ($270 million adjusted).

Both featured campy retellings of the characters story.

(shrug)

You are 100% right.

In the U.S., Batman Forever (1997) did $184 million domestic ($286 million adjusted) compared to 2012's Amazing Spider-man at $262 million domestic ($270 million adjusted).

(shrug)

As much as even I like to think it.............. the world does not revolve around the U.S.

ASM1

ASM2

ASM3

ASM4

Venom

Sinister Six

++ more unannounced

How many billions will they add up to? Maybe the world just enjoys the Spider-Man :cloud9: character that much more than Batman? :headbang:

You are 100% right.

(shrug)

You think the ASM movie is campy? In what way?