• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Western Penn Pedigree, what's the background story?

60 posts in this topic

Conditionfreak there are no P's on the Western Penn collection. Kav screwed everything up. That is a DIFFERENT collection. If you bought books from Friedlander then you most likely have some Western Penn's in your collection. When I go home I will scan my cert for you and send you a copy via PM.

:o

That one made me chuckle too.

the Pennsylvania Pedigree (designated with a P on it) was a run of Mostly super hero books from 1941-1944. The collection is also extremely small (I believe about 1,000 books total with a good chunk of them still being owned by Overstreet and Geppi) Can we please stop confusing the two? Thanks :)

PENNSYLVANIA - The Pennsylvania collection surfaced about 15 years ago and was bought by Steve Geppi. Pennsylvania copies are well-known in the market, but very few collectors are familiar with its origin. Unfortunately, Geppi does not recall many of the specifics surrounding the discovery of the collection due to the length of time that has passed. According to Geppi, a woman came to a convention in Philadelphia in the late 70's to sell some Golden Age comics. Word got back to Geppi, who tracked her down. He bought the collection, which consisted of several hundred comics from the early 1940's (1941-1945). Because the collection began after 1940 many of the prime Golden Age keys were not present, but the grade was extremely high. The books also had a characteristic smell to their pages. The collection was split up and sold later. Bob Overstreet purchased a rather sizable chunk of the collection, where it remained until recently when his comics were put up for sale.

IDENTIFICATION-Identifying a Pennsylvania involves simply locating a "P" written on the cover. The "P" sometimes looks more like an "R", probably from the quick handwriting of the distributor. Another way to identify Pennsylvanias is by their pages' characteristic smell. If ever in doubt of a Pennsylvania's authenticity, Steve Geppi is one collector who can probably identify it.

DESIRABILITY-Pennsylvanias are structurally NM to Mint copies with white pages. They originally fetched slightly above guide, but now can command prices as high as 3x to 5x guide.

That's a different ped.

Dang how many Pennsylvania peds are there???? My bad

Wasn't it Mike Friedlander on the Western Penns? Look at this post from 2006

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1044993#Post1044993

And are we talking about the Western Penns or the Pennsylvania ped?

I'm starting to piece together how this scenario might have played out.

Stu Friedlander told me he had a brother, that owned a fantasy trading card company called something like "FPG", or something similar. He never did tell me his brothers name, or I don't remember it. He gave me some cards from that company as a gift, that were fantasy holographic type cards, and were supposedly limited editions.

Since Stu told me that he purchased "some" of the Western Penn collection. Maybe his brother was named Mike and he purchased the collection, and Stu just got part of it. I don't know the story, because I just wasn't interested in pedigree stuff back then But now I am all about pedigree stuff. My collecting habits have evolved. :) Pedigreed books are just about all I purchase anymore.

So, if there are no certificates with the Western Penn collection. How does CGC decide which should be given the pedigree designation and which should not? ie: how do they know?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1044993#Post1044993

And are we talking about the Western Penns or the Pennsylvania ped?

I'm starting to piece together how this scenario might have played out.

Stu Friedlander told me he had a brother, that owned a fantasy trading card company called something like "FPG", or something similar. He never did tell me his brothers name, or I don't remember it. He gave me some cards from that company as a gift, that were fantasy holographic type cards, and were supposedly limited editions.

Since Stu told me that he purchased "some" of the Western Penn collection. Maybe his brother was named Mike and he purchased the collection, and Stu just got part of it. I don't know the story, because I just wasn't interested in pedigree stuff back then But now I am all about pedigree stuff. My collecting habits have evolved. :) Pedigreed books are just about all I purchase anymore.

So, if there are no certificates with the Western Penn collection. How does CGC decide which should be given the pedigree designation and which should not? ie: how do they know?

A lot of the peds didn't come with certs. When I submitted some Bostons many years ago, I didn't have any certs with them. I just listed it on the submission form and gave them documentation of where they were bought.

Found this with google.

http://misc.thefullwiki.org/Friedlander_Publishing_Group

From Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki.

The subject of this article exists in or is relevant to the real world.

Friedlander Publishing Group, or FPG, was a publisher of fantasy and role-playing books. Their Star Wars titles include Star Wars: The Art of Dave Dorman which was published in 1996. The company does not appear to be in operation any longer.

At the time of the book's publication, their publishing address was:

FPG2539 Washington Road, Building 1000Pittsburgh, PA 15241

Nice photo!

nick_zps14d3cd37.jpg

Pretty soon he'll start posting Picasso style interpretations instead of the books.

Is that your book? I had the Western Penn Fury#1 9.4 w without the sig I think that is the same book. Its funny i don't mind Steranko sig.

Yes, that is mine. I believe that there were multiple WP Nick Fury #1s

Pretty soon he'll start posting Picasso style interpretations instead of the books.

What i need to do is start jettisoning some "friends."

Whew, glad I sent you an Easter basket with this, Sea Monkeys and a gift certificate for a pedicure, that should keep me off the "list".

What i need to do is start jettisoning some "friends."

Whew, glad I sent you an Easter basket with this, Sea Monkeys and a gift certificate for a pedicure, that should keep me off the "list".

Yeah, you're good.

My thanks to everyone who is replying to this thread. From what I have gathered so far the Western Penn is a very large collection (how many books?) covering almost 20 years, discovered by a Mr. Friedlander. It seems the story is rather convoluted and hard to follow (at least for my small mind). The Pennsylvania Pedigree is another older and smaller collection that has nothing to do the Western Penn. Based on what others have been posting, there are probably multiples of the same book also in this Western Penn collection. (thumbs u

You are correct. Sorry, I didn`t even notice the first name mentioned in conditionfreak`s post when I replied, I just saw the last name.

There are various posts from linmoth in the SA forum containing info about the Western Penn collection. According to him, the collection runs all the way back to GA, although very few GA Western Penns have surfaced (at least that are identified as Western Penns).

As others have pointed out, it is a different pedigree from the Pennsylvania collection.

Western Penn books have the whitest white pages I have ever seen. :cloud9:
You need to buy some of my newsstand copies.