• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

I've tried stuff like that but I need to get as close to the page as possible-the distance screws things up.

John Romita Jr.'s best work was on Iron Man with Layton finishing, but with other inkers, his stuff wasn't the greatest.

In addition, Al Williamson's inks worked well over his pencils.

I like Wally Wood but didn't like the way his inks overwhelmed penciler. I want Kirby to look like Kirby, not Wood.

My favorite inker has to be Murphy Anderson. When I was a kid thumbing through the Superman titles in the store, I would always pick out the ones inked by Anderson as they looked so much better to me than the others. It didn't matter if he was inking Superman, Superboy, Flash, Batman, Adam Strange or whoever. They just looked better to me. Today while reading some of those issues drawn by Curt Swan and inked by someone other than Anderson, I say to myself if only Murphy Anderson had inked this.

My favorite inker has to be Murphy Anderson. When I was a kid thumbing through the Superman titles in the store, I would always pick out the ones inked by Anderson as they looked so much better to me than the others. It didn't matter if he was inking Superman, Superboy, Flash, Batman, Adam Strange or whoever. They just looked better to me. Today while reading some of those issues drawn by Curt Swan and inked by someone other than Anderson, I say to myself if only Murphy Anderson had inked this.

+1

Sad when he left comics. Pay just wasn't cutting it.

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. Inking is very difficult I agree, but an inker who gets even the sparsest of layouts still has it easier than the penciller staring at a blank sheet of paper. 2c

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. Inking is very difficult I agree, but an inker who gets even the sparsest of layouts still has it easier than the penciller staring at a blank sheet of paper. 2c

Creative wise you are correct. Penciler comes up with everything. Skill level wise inking much more difficult.

inking is alot harder, there are no erasers with ink

That's what white out is for.

Inking over white out never goes well.

Creative wise you are correct. Penciler comes up with everything. Skill level wise inking much more difficult.

Nope, still don't agree. There are many more pencillers who're proficient at inking their own work than there are inkers who can pencil their own stuff.

Also, I'm a traditionalist...but with today's technology, an inker iisn't even a necessity anymore.

I've seen enough original art to know that a lot of inkers have used it.

Nope, still don't agree. There are many more pencillers who're proficient at inking their own work than their are inkers who can pencil their own stuff.

Also, I'm a traditionalist...but with today's technology, an inker iisn't even a necessity anymore.

There are pencilers who ink their own stuff-like me-and they agree inking's the hard part.

As far as digital inking it always looks digital thus there will always be a place for brush on paper artists like Sean Phillips.

I've seen enough original art to know that a lot of inkers have used it.

Yes they use it and since the surface is never completely flat with white out the lines can suffer as a result.

Nope, still don't agree. There are many more pencillers who're proficient at inking their own work than their are inkers who can pencil their own stuff.

There are pencilers who ink their own stuff-like me-and they agree inking's the hard part.

As far as digital inking it always looks digital thus there will always be a place for brush on paper artists like Sean Phillips.

If the penciller is tight enough and varies the line weights it almost looks inked when it's darkened digitally. Inking is a mostly tedious, mechanical chore that can be difficult. It will never, ever be more difficult than staring at a blank sheet of paper.

If the penciller is tight enough and varies the line weights it almost looks inked when it's darkened digitally. Inking is a mostly tedious, mechanical chore that can be difficult. It will never, ever be more difficult than staring at a blank sheet of paper.

No amount of digital darkening can produce brush effects like this.

7-Psychopaths-issue-3-cover-by-Sean-Phillips-480x712.jpg