• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

Great points! Palmer was the first inker I noticed to regularly use the "digital look" of shading techniques (don't know what it's really called :sorry: ) though Adams had used it occasionally on some of his cover art. Bob Layton expounded upon it and started adding the "shine bubbles" (again I have no idea what to call them) and sparkles in the actual shading. Starlin was the first artist I ever saw do the shine bubbles (IM 100 cover)

Are you thinking of zip-a-tone or other screen tone applications?

Great points! Palmer was the first inker I noticed to regularly use the "digital look" of shading techniques (don't know what it's really called :sorry: ) though Adams had used it occasionally on some of his cover art. Bob Layton expounded upon it and started adding the "shine bubbles" (again I have no idea what to call them) and sparkles in the actual shading. Starlin was the first artist I ever saw do the shine bubbles (IM 100 cover)

Are you thinking of zip-a-tone or other screen tone applications?

I don't know WHAT I'm thinking :insane:

I don't know the industry terms, just a feeble attempt to describe them. Layton's shading effects on IM that he became recognizable for. Palmer used them before he did - a lot on late SA early BA (X-Men, Avengers). Adams used the effects as well as greytone, though not as regularly, on his covers such as Flash.

Colletta overpowered every penciler he worked on.

But that can be a positive, if he's working with a terrible artist. For example, Arvell Jones (one of the worst Ba artists) did some really horrible Iron Fist and Iron Man work, but at least it was readable with Colletta inking.

As for Palmer, I loved him with Adams, but not so much with other atists, where his style truly overpowered the art and looked more like "Palmer art" than anything else. And the mediocre to poor art, Palmer's inking looked like ke-rap - he really needed quality work with powerful lines.

Byrne is an interesting case, especially in the BA.

When he started out at Marvel on Iron Fist, his work was seriously overpowered by Frank Chiaramonte, and it was only later that Byrne's pencils started coming out. The Dan Green inking in Iron Fist 14 is one of my favorite Byrne issues, and it rivals the Austin X-Men, while Dave Hunt (who wasnt so bad earlier or later in MTU) used huge lines to pretty well ruin Byrne's work in MTU 63-64 and 65-66.

My favorite Byrne inkers are Austin (by a long shot), then Layton (Hulk, MP, IM), and then Green (IF, Power Man, Avengers).

Colletta overpowered every penciler he worked on.

But that can be a positive, if he's working with a terrible artist. For example, Arvell Jones (one of the worst Ba artists) did some really horrible Iron Fist and Iron Man work, but at least it was readable with Colletta inking.

I'm not sure that Arvell inked by Colletta can be considered a positive in any case. Reminds me of reading Avengers Spotlight and seeing Al Milgrom inked by Don Hack.

For the longest time, I didn't like Sal's artwork on (insert title here), but then in the 90's, I came to the realization that the man can illustrate a story, and that's a skill that was absent from so many of the 'hot' artists of the decade.

Now when I re-read those 70's stories illustrated by Sal, I don't look for eye candy, but I certainly appreciate his layout and pacing. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's certainly far from the worst, both as a penciller and inker.

Sal Buscema has 2 facial expression. The gaping mouth and the grimace. That's it show's over go home.

UGH

You'd think someone who tried unsuccessfully to break in at Marvel over a period of years would have a little more respect. (shrug)

Less respect-I can draw a wide range of facial expressions, couldn't break in, dude has 2 facial expressions, broke in. Wtf?

Why don't you post some of your work and let us compare you against Sal (shrug)

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/gallery/

Let me give some Palmer examples (full disclaimer, Palmer is my favorite inkers)

Palmer is one of the rare "overpowering" inkers where the influence enhances the work of the penciler. There are others who overpower the pencils and the results detract from the pencils.

I've seen some Janson inking that looks just awful. Colletta overpowered every penciler he worked on. :frustrated:

Everything Rubenstein inks has that Rubenstein look that I don't care for much.

I never could stand Mooney's inking on and penciler on Spider-man comics.

Some inkers that can elevate are Layton, Palmer, Austin, and Milgrom (yes, Milgrom. He should have stayed as an inker exclusively)

Palmer's inks over Gene Colan on Dracula was magic. I can't imagine anyone else coming close to capturing and enhancing Colan's lights and shadows on that title. They really clicked well as a team

Regarding the "shine bubbles", you're referring to zip-a-tone, and It's really lovely if applied correctly. Al Williamson used quite a bit of Zip on his Secret Agent X-9 Strip back in the 1960's, and so did Jose Salinas on Cisco Kid in the 1950's.

I prefer comics where all aspects of illustration are handled by one person. And I much prefer if that person is the writer as well.

Those are always the best. Can't think of any good examples right now though

Matt Wagner

Can't believe noboady mentioned Will Eisner

I prefer comics where all aspects of illustration are handled by one person. And I much prefer if that person is the writer as well.

Those are always the best. Can't think of any good examples right now though

Matt Wagner

Can't believe noboady mentioned Will Eisner

What about the simonson thor. I know he of course did 337

I'm not sure that Arvell inked by Colletta can be considered a positive in any case.

Then you didn't read the issues with Arvell inked by Aubrey Bradford. :sick:

Aubrey Bradford??? Is that an inker or a soap character name? lol

Sal Buscema has 2 facial expression. The gaping mouth and the grimace. That's it show's over go home.

UGH

You'd think someone who tried unsuccessfully to break in at Marvel over a period of years would have a little more respect. (shrug)

Less respect-I can draw a wide range of facial expressions, couldn't break in, dude has 2 facial expressions, broke in. Wtf?

lol It's a conspiracy.

:screwy:

UGH

Why don't you post some of your work and let us compare you against Sal (shrug)

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/gallery/

Interesting & not too shabby. Reminiscent of Paul Gulacy or Gene Day. Would still lean towards Mr. Buscema.

I mean he did ROM! That's range!

His stuff isn't bad, but Gulacy or Day did not spring to mind. His stuff reminds me of mid 1980's Fantagraphics material more than anything Marvel has regularly produced.

UGH

I'm trying to think of an instance where one cartoonist came on to a message board and trashed another cartoonist. Maybe I need to get out more but an example doesn't spring to mind. (shrug)

You need to get out more lol Used to happen on the old AOL Marvel boards all the time.

I once saw Erik Larson go on the Byrne boards and trash George Perez's art of all people :screwy:

I once saw Erik Larson go on the Byrne boards and trash George Perez's art of all people :screwy:

lol That's like a cube steak attempting to trash a filet mignon

That's basically what Byrne said before Larson got banned from the board. It was pretty clear he was there just to start trouble.

For the longest time, I didn't like Sal's artwork on (insert title here), but then in the 90's, I came to the realization that the man can illustrate a story, and that's a skill that was absent from so many of the 'hot' artists of the decade.

Now when I re-read those 70's stories illustrated by Sal, I don't look for eye candy, but I certainly appreciate his layout and pacing. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's certainly far from the worst, both as a penciller and inker.

TRUTH. I know Sal isn't flashy, but during the 90's I was working at a comic shop and remember going blue in the face trying to defend Sal's stuff to people who liked what was then referred to as "The Image Style". I still like his stuff. It's SOLID. IT LOOKS RIGHT. It's not gorgeous, but I can follow the stories, and when I see some of those books (particularly the 80's books from my childhood) I think "Oh, right, the classic Marvel comic look". I think he is way overdue for a reappraisal.