• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

Inkers make a big difference on artists work, I personally think Joe Sinnott can make anyone look good.

Not on Starlin. Check out Marvel Feature #12 :eek:

He did fairly well with Byrne and Seinkewicz on FF in the 200-231 run

It just goes to show how different people perceive things, I actually loved the art/inks on that book. :)

Well here's my list of 6 best and worse tandems - There's more I'm sure, but these are the ones that stand out for me, and trying to keep the list even.

BEST

Kirby/Sinnott

Adams/Palmer

Starlin/Milgrom

Byrne/Austin

Miller/Janson

Romita Jr./Layton

WORST

Starlin/Sinnott

Byrne/Ordway

Kirby/Stone

Romita Jr./Green

Sal Buscema/Milgrom

Pollard/Mooney

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. Inking is very difficult I agree, but an inker who gets even the sparsest of layouts still has it easier than the penciller staring at a blank sheet of paper. 2c

Creative wise you are correct. Penciler comes up with everything. Skill level wise inking much more difficult.

Nope, still don't agree. There are many more pencillers who're proficient at inking their own work than there are inkers who can pencil their own stuff.

Also, I'm a traditionalist...but with today's technology, an inker iisn't even a necessity anymore.

Completely disagree that inking requires more skill than penciling. Having done both for years (ok dabbled). Character proportion, perspectives, etc.. are difficult to master in addition to creativity. Inking has some creativity and skill as well, but most of the job is already done by the penciller. While there may be some truth that it's harder to clean up inks than pencil mistakes, that doesn't make it harder overall.

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. Inking is very difficult I agree, but an inker who gets even the sparsest of layouts still has it easier than the penciller staring at a blank sheet of paper. 2c

Creative wise you are correct. Penciler comes up with everything. Skill level wise inking much more difficult.

Nope, still don't agree. There are many more pencillers who're proficient at inking their own work than there are inkers who can pencil their own stuff.

Also, I'm a traditionalist...but with today's technology, an inker iisn't even a necessity anymore.

Completely disagree that inking requires more skill than penciling. Having done both for years (ok dabbled). Character proportion, perspectives, etc.. are difficult to master in addition to creativity. Inking has some creativity and skill as well, but most of the job is already done by the penciller. While there may be some truth that it's harder to clean up inks than pencil mistakes, that doesn't make it harder overall.

+1

By this logic all inkers would be pretty much the same since it's 'mostly been done by the penciler'. This is obviously not the case.

By this logic all inkers would be pretty much the same since it's 'mostly been done by the penciler'. This is obviously not the case.

Obviously inkers bring their own skills to whatever the project calls for. Some inkers are best when "tracing" fully realized pencils, while some inkers are at their best as "finishers" working from sparse layouts. I don't think anyone is arguing this.

Lots of analogies:

Architect vs. Construction worker that builds home

Circuit Design Engineer vs. Chip Layout individuals

Doctor vs. Nurse

Artist vs. Inker

In most cases the former is fairly capable and adept at both, not the other way around. And usually, the secondary is added to reduce the burden on the first because of time constraints. While the secondary functions might vary in quality, in no way are they superior in difficulty of profession to the first. Sorry about that, but no way.

Obviously inkers bring their own skills to whatever the project calls for. Some inkers are best when "tracing" fully realized pencils, while some inkers are at their best as "finishers" working from sparse layouts. I don't think anyone is arguing this.

Put two different inkers on tight fully realized pencils and you will get two different results. Inking is not tracing by any stretch.

Here's an article I wrote on the subject:

http://comicrelated.com/news/16012/kavs-tips

Dayum. kav really is 55. And a true fan to boot.

I apologize for all the mean things I said.

I'm in the inking is harder corner. I draw and ink my own pictures and inking is just something that doesn't come naturally and each line requires much more thought, especially with a brush. Line depth changes with such subtle pressure.

Here's an article I wrote on the subject:

http://comicrelated.com/news/16012/kavs-tips

Dayum. kav really is 55. And a true fan to boot.

I apologize for all the mean things I said.

:acclaim:

:golfclap:

Put two different inkers on tight fully realized pencils and you will get two different results. Inking is not tracing by any stretch.

I never said it was...but it can be at times. Good inkers will bring something of themselves to the work without overpowering the penciller.

This does not change my opinion that inking is not more difficult than staring at a blank page.

No a blank page is definitely the most difficult. However, drawing with pencil takes less technical skill than inking. Only in the sense of the precision of hand movement required, not anatomy knowledge etc.

Well here's my list of 6 best and worse tandems - There's more I'm sure, but these are the ones that stand out for me, and trying to keep the list even.

BEST

Kirby/Sinnott

Adams/Palmer

Starlin/Milgrom

Byrne/Austin

Miller/Janson

Romita Jr./Layton

WORST

Starlin/Sinnott

Byrne/Ordway :sick:

Kirby/Stone

Romita Jr./Green

Sal Buscema/Milgrom

Pollard/Mooney

[font:Book Antiqua]One of the worst team ever...[/font]

puke.jpg

No a blank page is definitely the most difficult. However, drawing with pencil takes less technical skill than inking. Only in the sense of the precision of hand movement required, not anatomy knowledge etc.

That's a different debate.

BEST

Kirby/Sinnott

Adams/Palmer

Starlin/Milgrom

Byrne/Austin

Miller/Janson

Romita Jr./Layton

WORST

Starlin/Sinnott

Kirby/Stone

Romita Jr./Green

Sal Buscema/Milgrom

Pollard/Mooney

puke.jpg

What did they team up on that you didn't like? I thought Ordway's inks on JB's FF were awesome. Not so much on his JLA unfortunately.

BEST

Kirby/Sinnott

Adams/Palmer

Starlin/Milgrom

Byrne/Austin

Miller/Janson

Romita Jr./Layton

WORST

Starlin/Sinnott

Kirby/Stone

Romita Jr./Green

Sal Buscema/Milgrom

Pollard/Mooney

puke.jpg

What did they team up on that you didn't like? I thought Ordway's inks on JB's FF were awesome. Not so much on his JLA unfortunately.

[font:Book Antiqua]Exactly...

JLA # 94-99[/font]

:sick: