• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

Sal Buscema has 2 facial expression. The gaping mouth and the grimace. That's it show's over go home.

UGH

You'd think someone who tried unsuccessfully to break in at Marvel over a period of years would have a little more respect. (shrug)

I'm trying to think of an instance where one cartoonist came on to a message board and trashed another cartoonist. Maybe I need to get out more but an example doesn't spring to mind. (shrug)

LIEFELD

And they're not called 'cartoonists'-cartoonists are the guys do the comics in the funny pages. They are called comic book artists. My Aunt Hilda might say something like 'are you still drawing them cartoons for them funny books?' but not a comic book fan I would think. And, I am not a comic book artist-never worked in the industry-so I'm free to dispense my opinion like every other civilian.

Did you ever think of doing commision work or comic cover recreations? Might get you past your block. (shrug) Certainly would be more productive than posting all day long and would earn you a little scratch on the side

Did you ever think of doing commision work or comic cover recreations? Might get you past your block. (shrug) Certainly would be more productive than posting all day long and would earn you a little scratch on the side

Oh yeah I've tried that and everything else-no go. Did some exact Kirby cover recreations-I mean exact. No bidders.

There's just way too many people like me-wanna be comic artists. It's a no-go all the way around...

Oh yeah I've tried that and everything else-no go. Did some exact Kirby cover recreations-I mean exact. No bidders.

There's just way too many people like me-wanna be comic artists. It's a no-go all the way around...

But you had work featured in MAD magazine, correct? That's higher profile and was probably read by a great deal more people than your run of the mill Indie publisher. You had some amount of success

But you had work featured in MAD magazine, correct? That's higher profile and was probably read by a great deal more people than your run of the mill Indie publisher. You had some amount of success

Yep but it led nowhere unfortunately. Even getting work at the amateur level is damn near impossible. For every ad on digital webbing like 500 people apply. There's just too damn many of us, man....my buddy who works for Marvel confirms-they're not hiring.

i think the best way is to make your own book, new characters and get it finished/inked/coloured and printed. Use kickstarter and then build from there, showing your work to DC or Marvel isn't really a viable option now

i think the best way is to make your own book, new characters and get it finished/inked/coloured and printed. Use kickstarter and then build from there, showing your work to DC or Marvel isn't really a viable option now

Been there.

Dead end.

Too many of us.

Been there.

Dead end.

Too many of us.

again true, i just feel its better to show people a finished product as opposed to showing them "what could be"

Had one book-Tales from the void-which the writer took to DICE. About a dozen Marvel and DC writers/editors including Matt Fraction raved about it. Result: Nothing.

Had another story win a $500 prize (which the writer kept) and printed in 'The Amazing Mr X' anthology. Result: nothing. Every year the writer for Rapid City takes our books to MICE. Result: nothing.

There's just too damn many of us!!!

Been there.

Dead end.

Too many of us.

again true, i just feel its better to show people a finished product as opposed to showing them "what could be"

Yeah they were finished, printed books.

Sal Buscema has 2 facial expression. The gaping mouth and the grimace. That's it show's over go home.

UGH

You'd think someone who tried unsuccessfully to break in at Marvel over a period of years would have a little more respect. (shrug)

I'm trying to think of an instance where one cartoonist came on to a message board and trashed another cartoonist. Maybe I need to get out more but an example doesn't spring to mind. (shrug)

LIEFELD

And they're not called 'cartoonists'-cartoonists are the guys do the comics in the funny pages. They are called comic book artists. My Aunt Hilda might say something like 'are you still drawing them cartoons for them funny books?' but not a comic book fan I would think. And, I am not a comic book artist-never worked in the industry-so I'm free to dispense my opinion like every other civilian.

John Byrne refers to himself as a cartoonist (shrug)

Had one book-Tales from the void-which the writer took to DICE. About a dozen Marvel and DC writers/editors including Matt Fraction raved about it. Result: Nothing.

Had another story win a $500 prize (which the writer kept) and printed in 'The Amazing Mr X' anthology. Result: nothing. Every year the writer for Rapid City takes our books to MICE. Result: nothing.

At some point..and I honestly mean no disrespect by this, you have to realize you don't have what they're looking for.

At some point..and I honestly mean no disrespect by this, you have to realize you don't have what they're looking for.

Not really.

I've submitted Sean Phillips pages just as a test and got back comments that the technique was sub-par etc.....

Also the Tales From the Void book-the Marvel/DC folks- were awestruck over it-they thought I had what it takes. It just led nowhere, because there's thousands of people that have what it takes and very few openings. One DC editor was heard commenting 'we don't have any sci-fi titles-this is exactly what we should be doing.' He bought 2 copies and rushed off.

Not really.

I've submitted Sean Phillips pages just as a test and got back comments that the technique was sub-par etc.....

Also the Tales From the Void book-the Marvel/DC folks- were awestruck over it-they thought I had what it takes. It just led nowhere, because there's thousands of people that have what it takes and very few openings. One DC editor was heard commenting 'we don't have any sci-fi titles-this is exactly what we should be doing.' He bought 2 copies and rushed off.

I'm not going to argue with you. You know someone who works at Marvel and even that's not enough to get you in.

I was just offering up an outside perspective. You obviously know what you're doing sir (thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]Kudos for trying Kav..![/font]

:applause:

I've been giving away original pages to neighbor kids-don't have anything else to do with em.

Not really.

I'm not going to argue with you. You know someone who works at Marvel and even that's not enough to get you in.

I was just offering up an outside perspective. You obviously know what you're doing sir (thumbs u

I'm ok with it and not bitter-it's a tough biz to break into. Hollywood same way. That's just life. It cracks me up though when I hear bitter artists on creator forums whining that it's who you know. My Marvel artist buddy said he knew many editors as good friends and it helped him not one iota.

[font:Book Antiqua]Kudos for trying Kav..![/font]

:applause:

I've been giving away original pages to neighbor kids-don't have anything else to do with em.

???(shrug)

I have like a foot high stack of pages, they have no value, at least the kids enjoy em. Literally what else am I going to do with them?

Not really.

I'm ok with it and not bitter-it's a tough biz to break into. Hollywood same way. That's just life. It cracks me up though when I hear bitter artists on creator forums whining that it's who you know. My Marvel artist buddy said he knew many editors as good friends and it helped him not one iota.

I don't buy it. I knew just as many back in the day where knowing the right person got them a foot in the door at the very least.

At the very least, your buddy should be able to use his position to get your work looked at by editors. At that point it's up to them to decide whether they think your work will sell or not.