• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first book you thought was gonna be a key but turned out to be a dud?

64 posts in this topic

Alpha Flight #1.

+1

dang

yes, bought a copy off the newstand and subscribed to it so that i could have another copy of #1. shockingly, the subscription copies actually got to me in decent shape. can you imagine them not being trashed nowadays?

I'll also add Silver Surfer Annual #6.

It was one of those that came in a polybag hyping it was a first appearance of a character.

I thought Legacy was a cool character. Then we found out he's the original Captain Marvel's son, I thought it would be big. I was wrong.

Later it appeared that Genis-Vell actually became a decent character but still not enough to make his first appearance raise in value.

...he has his own Wikipedia page.

In 3 years that will be a $15 book

Some of the books listed above I wouldn't consider duds.

Alpha Flight #1 was one though that I bought multiple copies of. A #1, John Byrne hysteria rampant, X-Men connection, and a bazillion copy print run...how could I go wrong :cry:

Multiple copies on Marvel's New Universe #1's because Star Brand and Kicker's Inc. were going to be all the rage... :banana:

Multiple copies on Marvel's New Universe #1's because Star Brand and Kicker's Inc. were going to be all the rage... :banana:

So true.. Everyone is always slamming the 90s (rightfully so) but they forget that the 80s had that MNU .. That was worse than any 90s Image/Valiant ever published and was hyped just as bad if not worse!

Nova #1, which was Spider-man to my generation (and obviously designed that way), but the series was ruined by some absolutely horrible Infantino/Palmer art. I dropped it at that point, and my friends did as well, all never to return.

300px-Nova_Vol_1_1_B.jpg

This was a huge dud, but then the movie speculators brought it back from the dead.

I always thought Hulk Annual 7 was going to catch fire, but it never has. Killer Byrne art, fun story/tie-in to the now-classic X-Men 98-100 saga, Hulk vs. Sentinels, old X-Men appearance,etc., but nada.

300px-Incredible_Hulk_Annual_Vol_1_7.jpg

Flare #1

Darkwood #1

Omega Men #3

Spiderman #1 (McFarlane)

Speed Racer #1

Robin #1

I have made some bad assumptions. But I am proud to say that I have never contemplated buying even one copy of anything to do with WoodGod. (running joke alert)

So true.. Everyone is always slamming the 90s (rightfully so) but they forget that the 80s had that MNU .. That was worse than any 90s Image/Valiant ever published and was hyped just as bad if not worse!

I disagree. At least New Universe attempted to tell stories. Early image was pinup eye candy