• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first book you thought was gonna be a key but turned out to be a dud?

64 posts in this topic

Multiple copies on Marvel's New Universe #1's because Star Brand and Kicker's Inc. were going to be all the rage... :banana:

So true.. Everyone is always slamming the 90s (rightfully so) but they forget that the 80s had that MNU .. That was worse than any 90s Image/Valiant ever published and was hyped just as bad if not worse!

But why would you buy it? I took one look at that New Universe crapola and ran away. Not one single book looked even remotely interesting, and I knew full-well that no book taking place outside the MU was ever successful.

I never bought a single MU issue, and I don't think I was alone. I even refused to buy Starbrand after they brought in Byrne. :sumo:

And Shooter sounded totally insane in his BB comments, spouting off like the NU would make the current MU totally obsolete. :facepalm:

Multiple copies on Marvel's New Universe #1's because Star Brand and Kicker's Inc. were going to be all the rage... :banana:

So true.. Everyone is always slamming the 90s (rightfully so) but they forget that the 80s had that MNU .. That was worse than any 90s Image/Valiant ever published and was hyped just as bad if not worse!

But why would you buy it? I took one look at that New Universe crapola and ran away. Not one single book looked even remotely interesting, and I knew full-well that no book taking place outside the MU was ever successful.

I never bought a single MU issue, and I don't think I was alone. I even refused to buy Stgarbrand after they brought in Byrne. :sumo:

And Shooter sounded totally insane in his BB comments, spouting off like the NU would make the current MU totally obsolete. :facepalm:

I was 9 back then ;)

and that was truly the first time that I thought to myself that this would be a good investment even though the characters didnt seem interesting to me. the hype that "Marvel is creating a new universe" appealed to me from an investment stand point.. yeah I was 9 alright..

I never bought a single MU issue, and I don't think I was alone. I even refused to buy Stgarbrand after they brought in Byrne. :sumo:

I was 9 back then ;)

Your age is no excuse. You think that will make JC lay of you? You big dummy. :baiting:

Howard the Duck 1

I get flooded by regret thinking about the comics I traded away for these. Personally, I still like the character and I love the Frank Brunner art. But I hated the silly little guy in the duck suit movie. They need to make a decent HTD movie.

and that was truly the first time that I thought to myself that this would be a good investment even though the characters didnt seem interesting to me. the hype that "Marvel is creating a new universe" appealed to me from an investment stand point.. yeah I was 9 alright..

I wouldn't have fallen for that Jim Shooter "The New Universe will make the Marvel Universe obsolete!! Hahahahaha" BS if I was 3 and drunk.

I saw the blurbs in Marvel Age and I could not see even a single character that looked the least bit interesting. It made the 70's Atlas books look like genius by comparison.

Nova #1, which was Spider-man to my generation (and obviously designed that way), but the series was ruined by some absolutely horrible Infantino/Palmer art. I dropped it at that point, and my friends did as well, all never to return.

Oooo… keep the adjective "horrible" for yourself: this is not surely an objective statement. ;)

The art on Nova, especially with the tonal values given by the inking, was solid, evocative, and better than most artist could do in a lifetime.

Dazzler #1 immediately comes to mind as one I bought at a Comic Shop. "First Direct Only Comic" or whatever it was. Before that, for some reason as a 10 year old I really thought Marvel Premiere #55 (Wonder Man solo) would be big..ehhhh.... doh!

What can I say that hasn't already been said. (shrug)

You could say 'Omega: The Unknown' #1......

Which nonetheless is one of the best 1970s series ever produced by Marvel.

Popularity among collectors is not necessarily an indication of quality. ;)

From what I remember it kept leading up to something big which never materialized. It was a dud.

Nova #1, which was Spider-man to my generation (and obviously designed that way), but the series was ruined by some absolutely horrible Infantino/Palmer art. I dropped it at that point, and my friends did as well, all never to return.

Oooo… keep the adjective "horrible" for yourself: this is not surely an objective statement.

Well, no matter how much of a Palmer fanboy you are, that's the point where the book started tanking, and led to its eventual demise. There was a thread on Nova and lots of people brought up the "horrible" Infantino/Palmer art.

Oooo… keep the adjective "horrible" for yourself: this is not surely an objective statement.

Well, no matter how much of a Palmer fanboy you are, that's the point where the book started tanking, and led to its eventual demise. There was a thread on Nova and lots of people brought up the "horrible" Infantino/Palmer art.

Infantino should have stopped drawing comics in the 70s :P

The only book I bought multiples of thinking it was a guaranteed gold mine was Peter Parker the not so Spectacular Spiderman.

I was SURE it was gonna be big-like Spiderman #1, man....

You just know some poor fool has a longbox of those somewhere......