• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between 9.6-9.8

9 posts in this topic

Can somebody explain to me the difference other then the obvious. Like I know 9.8 is greater than 9.6?. I've sent in comics before I thought were flawless then I get them back and they're graded 9.6. I've got a couple I want to send ln for grading. Id post them but don't know how to get them on here

Hello go to photo bucket and establish an account. Free sign up. You load your pictures via your computer. Make some edits if you want then save. You will be given different codes to paste (See links to share this photo) Select html codes with the link. Come back here and switch to fully reply screen. select the the image menu link. It will state enter an image... once you do this click this and it will give you a window above to enter your code. You don't need the http...just go over it and paste your photo bucket code. On your markup below select "using html then preview post your picture should appear before you submit. I did in 5 minutes...

See example.

a>

there is very little difference which is why the spread is .2

Seasoned collectors can spot the difference but an average Joe cannot.

The golden rule around here it seems is a 9.8 can have 1 very tiny spine crease with perfect corners and overall front/back cover flatness

Anymore defects than this become cumulative and judgmental.

there is very little difference which is why the spread is .2

Seasoned collectors can spot the difference but an average Joe cannot.

The golden rule around here it seems is a 9.8 can have 1 very tiny spine crease with perfect corners and overall front/back cover flatness

Anymore defects than this become cumulative and judgmental.

This is almost spot on! Except that there could be two to three minute spine creases. It's the 9.9 that allows one to possibly two (very minute) and the 10 that doesn't allow any.

Holding a book in hand it's pretty easy to spot tiny flaws that would pull a book down from 9.8 to 9.6, but scanning books would be difficult to identify small defects like dents, tiny moisture spots, discoloration on staples, light waves and bends which all would easily bring the grade down on a book.

There are a lot of different defects that bring a book down from a 9.8 other than spine ticks. You have color rubbing, lack of shine or gloss, staple flaws and discoloration, edge tears that are production and handling, fading, page quality creaming covers, corner wear, corner creases, corner chips, corner rounding.

hmmm I wonder why all my 1 tick spine books come back 9.8's...

(shrug)

It really boils down to the total number of allowable flaws per grade. For instance a 10 is allowed a maximum of one imperceptible flaw. A 9.9 is allowed a maximum of 2 imperceptible flaws and a 9.8 supposedly maxes out at 4 imperceptible flaws. That is to say that the flaws are very minor, almost imperceptible but one more significant flaw can throw all of this theory out the window.