• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 48 vs FF 52

32 posts in this topic

I love both of these books and FF 52 was undervalued for awhile but I'm just in shock that cgc prices for the mid to high grade of these two books are now comparable. silver Surfur and Galactus has had far more significance in marvel history. It boggles my mind that some movie hype can push a book to this extent.

Agreed. Black Panther is a decent character but doesn't come close to the Silver Surfer and Galactus in importance to the Marvel Universe.

You are right,even though I'm a big T Challa fan. :headbang:

I think the 52 will cool, but honestly, it was pretty undervalued for a long time. It may come down a bit, but I don't think you'll ever see it treated as an afterthought like it used to be.

I like the book a lot, and the black cover will always bring high grade premiums, but content wise, it doesn't stack up as an equal to 48. I know 48 is easy to come by, but that's a great book that will always be sought after.

I think the 52 will cool, but honestly, it was pretty undervalued for a long time. It may come down a bit, but I don't think you'll ever see it treated as an afterthought like it used to be.

I like the book a lot, and the black cover will always bring high grade premiums, but content wise, it doesn't stack up as an equal to 48. I know 48 is easy to come by, but that's a great book that will always be sought after.

I know the FF 48 was a warehouse find book,but hasn't that diminished by now and saturated into collections through the years?

Agreed. Black Panther is a decent character but doesn't come close to the Silver Surfer and Galactus in importance to the Marvel Universe.

Honestly, I always considered the Black Panther as much important as Silver Surfer and Galactus, of course with different scope (Galactus is a bit beyond).

In many ways, I still prefer the Black Panther to Silver Surfer. The Don McGregor stories are among the finest stuff Marvel ever produced.

Yes, #48 is a cornerstone, is very sought after but it is relatively common. It has also been "very cool" since the 1960s. :)

I love both but have yet to acquire a 48. I am excited to have picked up a 52 just yesterday. I really wasn't aware of the movie hype though the book does seem to have been undervalued for some time. I'll be looking for the right 48 at the right price and enjoy that too. The silver surfer and Galactus are longtime favorites . And then I need a 45. :)

I noticed this myself but they are not close in my mind. Silver Surfer has had a much bigger impact on the Marvel Universe without even mentioning Galactus. Having both first appearances in one issue puts it way over the top. The heat for FF 52 will fade some after a while. The best thing going for it is the Black Panther actually appears on the cover and its one of "those" black covers that always seem to show up in lower grade than the surrounding issues...

I noticed this myself but they are not close in my mind. Silver Surfer has had a much bigger impact on the Marvel Universe without even mentioning Galactus. Having both first appearances in one issue puts it way over the top. The heat for FF 52 will fade some after a while. The best thing going for it is the Black Panther actually appears on the cover and its one of "those" black covers that always seem to show up in lower grade than the surrounding issues...

Why do you say it has had "a bigger impact"? Up to the late 1980s the Surfer had popularity, but the Black Panther had it too. Story wise, and Marvel age wise, I’d say they are equally important.

Of course you are right about Galactus, it is a similar situation to other issues, where two important first appearances are featured. FF #36 comes to mind…

Another FF first I want is first Watcher.

I just grabbed a super-low grade copy and I want a better one… you’re right: it’s a cornerstone! (thumbs u

Very underrated book I feel and it's the last of the old 12cent covers for FF.

IMG_1696_zpsde15413c.jpg

I know the FF 48 was a warehouse find book,but hasn't that diminished by now and saturated into collections through the years?

You're probably right about that. Still pops up pretty frequently, though. Great book and a huge key when content is taken into account, regardless of its lack of relative scarcity. A huge key that can be had pretty affordably in most grades.

FF 52 to me is actually a VERY significant book with the first important Black character in mainstream comics..... very resonant with the spirit of the times. Comparing it to 48 doesn't really work for me..... they're just too different. It was a perfect bookend to the Galactus Trilogy ..... kind of re grounded things. I sold mine a couple years ago and really miss it. It's one of my favorite FF's....along with 13 also. FF 13 kind of kick started the whole Marvel Cosmic trend that dominated much of the 60's :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm as happy to see books like FF 52 and 45 finding a new audience as anyone. The whole run from 44 to 67 is without peer.

But I get a bigger charge out of #48 than any other book in that run. I used to have 7 of 'em.