• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever have issue with customs?

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Just added an key book to my collection which was not exactly cheap. I live in Canada and I am having the book shipped from the US. I do this all the time, but this time looking at he tracking I noticed something different. The book got sent to secondary instruction for further review from Canada Boarder Services. I found this odd. Asking a fellow collector about this he told me that once he had the same thing happened to him. Customs actually cracked the CGC case anreven ripped the interior mylar case. I have noticed that the book has been released out of customs and I should be receiving it tomorrow. my greatest fear is receiving the book in pieces. Any fellow boardies experience anything like this?

Hi everyone,

Just added an key book to my collection which was not exactly cheap. I live in Canada and I am having the book shipped from the US. I do this all the time, but this time looking at he tracking I noticed something different. The book got sent to secondary instruction for further review from Canada Boarder Services. I found this odd. Asking a fellow collector about this he told me that once he had the same thing happened to him. Customs actually cracked the CGC case anreven ripped the interior mylar case. I have noticed that the book has been released out of customs and I should be receiving it tomorrow. my greatest fear is receiving the book in pieces. Any fellow boardies experience anything like this?

:wishluck:

hope it goes well for you. The one I sent you seemed to get hung up as well for quite some time.

I believe Customs can inspect anything they want. I believe boardie Silver Surfer had a valuable book damaged by customs - sliced the book while cutting open the packaging - and he was screwed.

Customs can definitely do as they please. Cutting open the box is not my worry. The slab will protect the book and I can get it re-slabbed, but if they crack it open and rip the mylar to go through the book I'm going to be really upset. I doubt they would give it white glove treatment. I also doubt there is any recourse.

Value on this key book may have just put it over to secondary for a closer look - I'm guessing you'll pay taxes on full value, hopefully it was all declared with proper values etc...

As americans would say. I plead the 5th.

I have had a number of high dollar transactions from the US without any issue. I have not had an issue with customs opening the boxes but I have had to occasionally pay some tax.

I think you should be fine.

Customs actually cracked the CGC case anreven ripped the interior mylar case. I have noticed that the book has been released out of customs and I should be receiving it tomorrow. my greatest fear is receiving the book in pieces.

One of the scariest stories I ever heard related to a comic transaction. Hopefully, insurance would cover if customs destroys comic. I would like to think a person would get compensated if the book was destroyed by customs. Gives one pause when making international deals. What will you do if book is destroyed and customs will not reimburse your loss? Does both the seller and buyer take a hit if this happens or the buyer is just out 100%? What really sucks is if the comic is rare and gets damaged or destroyed.

not a comic book but I had some humidification gel for cigars shipped from china and customs destroyed it by cracking open the box it was contained in and scooping half of it out.

I assume because it was small white crystals, I rang to complain and they told me to go jump.

Good news. Got the package in 1 piece safe and sound. Had to pay tax but I'm good with that. Love how the Canadian officials classified my book on they tax documents as children's books.