• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

I price what I sell based on what I think is a fair price. If someone asks possibly for a discount on a book we work it out via PM. If we don't come to an agreement we simply part ways.

How come this is so complicated?

I've never been able to figure out why people become so upset when someone is asking too high or too low. When I receive a low-ball offer, I usually just turn it down and move on. No hard feelings. I'm not perfect, and I've probably given low ball offers without even realizing It.

When I post a sales thread, you look for those immediate "I'll take it" posts, and then you know what you're left with. I mean, if I post a book at 10:00 AM, I don't think I'm likely to take a discount at 10:15. But if it sits for half a day or more, I'm more than happy to either give a break (10%, 20% or whatever) or not. It all depends on how much I have invested in the comic.

I don't think there's a hard fast rule. After comics have sat unsold for a couple of days, I've made a few offers and in no way am I insulted when I get turned down or countered.

I've never been able to figure out why people become so upset when someone is asking too high or too low. When I receive a low-ball offer, I usually just turn it down and move on. No hard feelings. I'm not perfect, and I've probably given low ball offers without even realizing It.

Exactly. It's nothing personal. If I offer $60 on something you have for $100 and you don't want to sell, who am I to criticize?

I would give a discount at 10:01.

I never assume that another buyer is coming.

To each their own. I think every experienced seller has developed their own methods that work best for them.

I never realized any of this was really an issue. Assuming I do not do an immediate take it, I often make an offer to sellers. I would say 9 out of 10 times we reach a nice deal. I often buy from those sellers again and again. Since I do not sell on the boards, the most I can do in return is be a good repeat buyer. For example, Darkowl found my key book for me so he will get more of my business for sure. ;)

I remember back in the day when i first joined I would get books at slightly less then GPA. Now it seems people usually list right at GPA pricing (Which is fine by me) or in some cases way over. The days of getting a deal here on the boards seem to be over but once in awhile I see some boardies (the ones who have been here for awhile usually) list great stuff at great prices.

Never would I pay over GPA for a book on here. If I wanted that I would go to eBay :preach:

I never realized any of this was really an issue. Assuming I do not do an immediate take it, I often make an offer to sellers. I would say 9 out of 10 times we reach a nice deal. I often buy from those sellers again and again. Since I do not sell on the boards, the most I can do in return is be a good repeat buyer. For example, Darkowl found my key book for me so he will get more of my business for sure. ;)

:headbang:

I think there's just too many factors that go into buying/selling prices to have a hard/fast rule regarding discounts including but not limited to:

GPA - short term/long term

OSPG

cost to seller

sentimental value (if any) to seller/buyer

Ebay or other auction house 'sold' prices (fees might also be considered)

Current Ebay availability and pricing

opportunity cost

your reason for buying/selling it (for your collection? for resale? both?, CGC SS?)

rarity (absolute and relative)

payment/delivery method

speculation value

I think there's just too many factors that go into buying/selling prices to have a hard/fast rule regarding discounts including but not limited to:

OSPG

cost to seller

opportunity cost

your reason for buying/selling it (for your collection? for resale? both?, CGC SS?)

payment/delivery method

speculation value

I couldn't agree more. (thumbs u

OSPG

cost to seller

opportunity cost

payment/delivery method

speculation value

Especially this one...

Even at a 10% discount, some of the prices I've seen on the boards lately have so much "speculation value" built in to the price that they're still 90% overpriced.

I typically try and price raw books at E-bay 'sold' and board prices. For slabs, I try and price them according to current GPA +/- depending on the 'keyness', 'hotness', visual appeal, PQ, etc. of the book...sometimes I get it right.

As a general rule, if I list a slab here, I'm pricing it 5-10% off what I think I could get on Ebay. If it doesn't sell here, I go test my theory on whether my Ebay pricing is right. For me, the primary factor for listing here is convenience. It's just easier to list something here. That's why I factor in a discount to what I could get elsewhere.

I tend to factor that same thinking into any offers I make. What's it worth? What are the fees to sell somewhere else to get that price? Can I meet in the middle with the seller on those two numbers?

OSPG

cost to seller

opportunity cost

payment/delivery method

speculation value

I agree that there are too many variables for there to be an actual board discount across the....err....board.

A few more reasons that will likely affect asking prices:

Seller's lack of experience (he might be listing it at 2 times what the book is actually worth without even realizing it)

Seller's extensive experience (hey, I sold my last 15 copies at X privately so I know I can get my price)

How flush or strapped for cash the seller is will often determine what they'll take for it

So many reasons.

If it's a middle of the road book I'm usually willing to discount on the forum. If it's something that moves in a flash (like a Hulk #181 in an easy to move price range) I generally don't...but that doesn't mean I won't discount. All depends on the situation (and the buyer).

I have no problem with "starting points" As branget stated it is the "entitled" that I generally have issue with.

I don’t know if the sentiment is actually growing or if I’m just noticing it more but the “entitled” buyer mentality has been very prevalent and escalating around here, especially in the last year or so. Maybe it was always this way but in my dealings with boardies who have joined within the last two years it has almost been an automatic that they expect to be priced at a certain percentage lower than whatever the starting price is (even when it the asking price is already discounted from what the accepted value is or what the item has proven to sell for in other venues).

Personally I will just about always ask for 10% off the relevant GPA statistics for graded books, and between 15 to 20% off what raw books are selling for in the same/similar advertised condition (to account for the typical inflation of grade or perceived value in other selling venues as well as the subjectivity of grading). I also include all the shipping costs in whatever my asking price is so there is another variable percentage off what you could conceivably get it for in another venue. I do this mostly because when I decide to sell something, I want it to move and I also want to take care of those who have as much of affinity (presumably) for this medium as I do. Do I expect or feel entitled to the same treatment when it comes to buying? Not at all, but I am certainly hopeful that others feel the same as I and I will be afforded the same consideration.

OSPG

cost to seller

opportunity cost

payment/delivery method

speculation value

I think this is an exceptionally well-made point. The biggest problem is the aforementioned feeling of “entitlement” of buyers often renders them completely oblivious to anything other than their own desires or ambitions.

I don't feel like I deserve a discount because I am a board member. If I am interested in a comic for sale....sometimes I buy it....sometimes I make an offer. If I make an offer....it can be accepted or refused. No hard feels no feeling ....I am not like you must sell this to me because I do not intend to sell it in my lifetime. Sometimes people say to me (which just happened to me) I will sell it to you for the price you offered and I am glad it's going to a fellow collector who understands these comics....which is a nice tip of the hat. :cloud9: But I did not say give me 5% off! I offered an amount that would cause me to buy it and the seller took it.

But again I don't feel entitled to any discounts because I am member here.

If the book is not widely traded, then GPA results may be scarce or the only recent recorded sale may be from, say, a HA featured auction or from an SC eBay auction. Those are results that most sellers on here are unlikely to be able to match through their own eBay listings.

So haggling is probably the order of the day on those books. In addition, of course, an offer on the boards is a tangible offer -- as in the seller takes it and the buyer PPs the money right away -- while a potential sale at a higher price on eBay is hypothetical and may not occur for days, weeks, months ....

The books I follow that are listed on the board tend to be snapped up in short order if offered around FMV but sit if priced aggressively.

I've never been embarrassed to offer what I'm willing to pay even if well below the asked for price (perhaps because I'm not buying books to flip them) and I'm not insulted if people offer me a price well below what I'm asking.