• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

I am entitled to a discount because I am a cheap baztard and whatever I am trying to buy from you is probably the stale and unwanted leftovers from your sales thread anyway, cuz that's how I roll.

I sell off my website that I advertise, pay hosting fees etc.

If you are paying electronically you are protected by the cc company or paypal.

I'm sorry I not following the 10% automatic ebay discount and why buyers feel entitled to it. [/quote]

wait, didn't i ask you this in an email last week hm

I have only sold through the board once, and plan to do it again soon. But with no offense to the first poster, I had to groan when I heard that "leave some meat on the bone for me" line. It might be just my personal experience with dealing, but those words get my immediate attention, and wariness, much like one who feels the ned to repeat several times in the same conversation, "Trust me." Not one single person genuinely deserving of confidence EVER says that!

In similar fashion, no one I've ever heard speak the "meat on the bone" mantra would be satisfied by less than the entire animal for himself. Forget "the bone;" you'd best look out for the whole animal!

One other point, in passing. When I sold books here, a guy who I assume to be a reasonably prominent and successful dealer showed up offering me 1/2 of guide on my books. At the time, that was generally far below retail. (Not so sure if that's true anymore.) But my point is, I found that either a bit offensive, or clueless, or both. I am not a professional dealer, which means for one thing that I have not picked up most of the books wholesale.

But even so, in this context I am acting much more as a "colleague" than the folks he's used to dealing with on the other side of his counter. Even if I'm not a pro, I've made an investment, have some financial pressures of my own, and am hoping for fairness, in terms of value exchanged. Some of you have had great and good fortune, and/or been in the game forever, and are sitting on top of a towering inventory of books that you might have picked up for (in relatively terms) a song. But many, many more of us have not, and I guess we're all to some extent under greater financial pressure than we have been.

I just mention that, if for no other reason, to clue some prospective buyers in to the fact that they're insulting their possible business partners from the start. Something that feels more like respect will yield better results.

Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for lending an ear.

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

Is 5% or less the standard seller discount on the boards?

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

I take GPA and knock off 10% because that is what eBay would take. I make the same amount and give boardies a break - and that is just my starting price, I am not above haggling.

:)

-slym

I generally try to sell collector to collector. This means I try and sell it for less than a dealer will pay for it, and that it is cheaper than a buyer can get it from a dealer.

If a dealer wants my books at my price, I've priced cheaper than was intended.

I'll usually discount for multiple purchases, and certain members have bought enough from me in the past that I'll give them a "preferred customer' discount if they ask.

Obviously I'll discount a book that hasn't sold after a few days,but if you email me ten minutes after I post a book and offer 25% less, odds are you'll not get the answer you hoped for.

If you feel that I am looking for the whole carcass you clearly don't know me.

If you are looking for a dealer to pay retail than why did you call a dealer to buy the books?

Oh I'm in business to do this for free.

How exactly does a buy/sell transaction turn into a partnership?

If you are looking for a dealer to pay retail than why did you call a dealer to buy the books?

I get the odd offer where people want me to sell to them at less than GPA but they offer me their trade bait at GPA + 10%

lol

I have only sold through the board once, and plan to do it again soon. But with no offense to the first poster, I had to groan when I heard that "leave some meat on the bone for me" line. It might be just my personal experience with dealing, but those words get my immediate attention, and wariness, much like one who feels the ned to repeat several times in the same conversation, "Trust me." Not one single person genuinely deserving of confidence EVER says that!

In similar fashion, no one I've ever heard speak the "meat on the bone" mantra would be satisfied by less than the entire animal for himself. Forget "the bone;" you'd best look out for the whole animal!

One other point, in passing. When I sold books here, a guy who I assume to be a reasonably prominent and successful dealer showed up offering me 1/2 of guide on my books. At the time, that was generally far below retail. (Not so sure if that's true anymore.) But my point is, I found that either a bit offensive, or clueless, or both. I am not a professional dealer, which means for one thing that I have not picked up most of the books wholesale.

But even so, in this context I am acting much more as a "colleague" than the folks he's used to dealing with on the other side of his counter. Even if I'm not a pro, I've made an investment, have some financial pressures of my own, and am hoping for fairness, in terms of value exchanged. Some of you have had great and good fortune, and/or been in the game forever, and are sitting on top of a towering inventory of books that you might have picked up for (in relatively terms) a song. But many, many more of us have not, and I guess we're all to some extent under greater financial pressure than we have been.

I just mention that, if for no other reason, to clue some prospective buyers in to the fact that they're insulting their possible business partners from the start. Something that feels more like respect will yield better results.

I think part of the point that you, and maybe a few others, are missing is the sense of entitlement of many board members expecting a discount, for whatever reason really, and then balking at giving a discount when they are on the other side of a transaction.

Twenty seven reasons for beating a seller down on price but a big, fat no when selling. Do as I say, not as I do.

That is part of what I am taking from Bob's statement.

While the whole shyster / snakeoil salesmen / carnival barker routine can and does apply to many people it certainly does not apply to everyone and even more to the point it most certainly doesn't apply to Bob.

(thumbs u

Whether it is here or anywhere else, I pay what I want to pay and I sell for what I want to sell for. :sumo:

I have to go along with this. :sumo: I absolutely hate it when someone tries to tell me that my $200 book is only an $80 book, and then expects me to sell it to him. lol

I don't mind lowball offers, but if they're completely out of whack, I respond in kind. :grin:

I am entitled to a discount because I am a cheap baztard and whatever I am trying to buy from you is probably the stale and unwanted leftovers from your sales thread anyway, cuz that's how I roll.

:roflmao:

I think part of the point that you, and maybe a few others, are missing is the sense of entitlement of many board members expecting a discount, for whatever reason really, and then balking at giving a discount when they are on the other side of a transaction.

Twenty seven reasons for beating a seller down on price but a big, fat no when selling. Do as I say, not as I do.

That is part of what I am taking from Bob's statement.

that's how I interpret it as well.

It's good business to not bleed the last dime out of every sale.

Buyer gets a discount, then might resell at a rate faster than the original seller would have. Money now in his pocket is more likely to come back to the original seller.

Lathe, rinse, repeat.

Turnover of inventory is the secret of success for many businesses. Especially collectibles.

I've also heard goodwill has some value.

I always try to pay what people are asking on the Boards, because I want people to respect my prices. Yes I have gotten discounts, but most of the time I don't even bother asking.

I have had FS threads where a dealer will come on and offer me 20-30% off of what I'm asking. When I sold, I usually needed the money at the time so I generally ended up having to sell at a loss. Of course I see the same book listed (and marked as SOLD) at 20-30% ABOVE the price I asked for on the Boards. So 40-60% profit on a book I sold them isn't too shabby, especially on a 4 figure book...

Was I taken advantage of? Most likely, but when you are in a bind, you have to do what you have to do...Nature of the beast on here sometimes.

I don't feel like I deserve a discount because I am a board member. If I am interested in a comic for sale....sometimes I buy it....sometimes I make an offer. If I make an offer....it can be accepted or refused. No hard feels no feeling ....I am not like you must sell this to me because I do not intend to sell it in my lifetime. Sometimes people say to me (which just happened to me) I will sell it to you for the price you offered and I am glad it's going to a fellow collector who understands these comics....which is a nice tip of the hat. :cloud9: But I did not say give me 5% off! I offered an amount that would cause me to buy it and the seller took it.

But again I don't feel entitled to any discounts because I am member here.

This. :hi:

Or . . .

I only give discounts to friends (and I don't have any!) :sumo::roflmao:

:sorry:

:foryou:

:jokealert: (but I bet quite a few think it's true!) lol

My post was in jest as well :grin:

I don't feel like I deserve a discount because I am a board member. If I am interested in a comic for sale....sometimes I buy it....sometimes I make an offer. If I make an offer....it can be accepted or refused. No hard feels no feeling ....I am not like you must sell this to me because I do not intend to sell it in my lifetime. Sometimes people say to me (which just happened to me) I will sell it to you for the price you offered and I am glad it's going to a fellow collector who understands these comics....which is a nice tip of the hat. :cloud9: But I did not say give me 5% off! I offered an amount that would cause me to buy it and the seller took it.

But again I don't feel entitled to any discounts because I am member here.

This. :hi:

+2 (thumbs u