• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

Updated rant.

1). When I ask a person is there a better price on a book I don't expect "what are you thinking".

I expect a price. It is your book, not mine.

Is the logic that if they give me too low a price I might have paid more.

If I'm selling a book at $100 and it's worth $110...then you already know my price...$100.

When someone asks "What were you thinking?", they are trying to gage your involvement in the deal. If I ask that and the person replies "$20", I'm probably not going to continue haggling, especially if they did not give me a reason why they low balled.

Also because, sellers rarely go with the first offer. If someone says they were thinking $75, I'd more than likely counter and potentially get more than $75.

To the three posters if a buyers asks me what I can do on a book I give them my best price factoring in what I would discount it for.

$75/$65 for example.

My "best price" is not my sticker and frankly that would be an obnoxious response if you gave it to me.

Often I sell books here at a loss...probably 50% roughly I sell books at my cost or a slight loss...usually due to a variety of circumstances but probably mostly that I am an impatient bastid...

But just for good measure I lose on the shipping as well... :insane::tonofbricks:

Often I buy books here at prices equal to and greater than GPA...high-end books at $1000+ because I really really want them and the seller is telling me yeah "I know it's a 9.0 but it's really a 9.2 trapped in the 9.0 case...the colors are just dripping and wait'll you have this book in hand etc..." doh!

Bear in mind when I overpay I really really want them!

Many people will read this and/or know me and categorize me as "the PERFECT board member..." lol

I don't haggle or barter, UNLESS I think the book is overpriced. Then I will offer what I think it is worth. When I do make a low ball offer, I am kind of embarrassed. I have never been refused a sale, after one of my few low ball offers. Probably because my low ball offers are about five dollars less than the asking price, on a $100.00 or more book.

Usually I just hit the "take it" straight up.

I think that most sellers here, price their wares higher than they will actually take. BECAUSE they expect lower offers. Sort of like car dealers.

When I sell. I ask what I want and am not going to go lower. I price as low as I can in the first place.

But, money is not that important to me. Never has been. That may be why I don't have any. :)

On a more serious note...Bob is exceptional to deal with. I have done the following...with Bob's cooperation of course...

Bought books straight up at reasonable market price.

Asked for nominal (5-10) discount and was granted said discount.

Packaged books for similar 5-10 discount.

Bought pricier books at ask price with flexible time payments.

What more could you ask for??!! :headbang:

Often I sell books here at a loss...probably 50% roughly I sell books at my cost or a slight loss...usually due to a variety of circumstances but probably mostly that I am an impatient bastid...

But just for good measure I lose on the shipping as well... :insane::tonofbricks:

Often I buy books here at prices equal to and greater than GPA...high-end books at $1000+ because I really really want them and the seller is telling me yeah "I know it's a 9.0 but it's really a 9.2 trapped in the 9.0 case...the colors are just dripping and wait'll you have this book in hand etc..." doh!

Many people will read this and/or know me and categorize me as "the PERFECT board member..." lol

I think our transaction for a ASM 5 CGC 9.0 is a perfect example. GPA at the time was about $3300 and I put it up for sale for $3000. I had room on the book and was happy to sell it a bit cheaper than GPA. I'm paying lower fees than any of the auction sites and I'm happy to pass it on.

That said, everyone is different and some are generous and some want every ounce of blood. There's no right to expect a discount - the price is the price agreed on by the buyer and seller and nothing more.

I think our transaction for a ASM 5 CGC 9.0 is a perfect example. GPA at the time was about $3300 and I put it up for sale for $3000. I had room on the book and was happy to sell it a bit cheaper than GPA. I'm paying lower fees than any of the auction sites and I'm happy to pass it on.

That said, everyone is different and some are generous and some want every ounce of blood. There's no right to expect a discount - the price is the price agreed on by the buyer and seller and nothing more.

Dave...that is one of my top 5 favorite transactions here on the boards and I appreciate it to this day! Yes the book resides in my box and will be there for some time... :headbang:

If I want a book and I see the sticker price is a bit more than I want to spend, I'll ask if they can do better, if they do, I usually buy it.

As far as Bob's site goes, and this goes for ebay as well. When you place a "best offer" sign next to the price, people are going to take advantage of that cause they know, the price isn't set in stone.

Bob will usually ask you at a show "What do you want to pay"? Of course my real answer is $10 but that's not going to cut it haha I usually pay what I think is fair, what is close to the asking price and what I'm comfortable with...I don't go through GPA and other sales to try and get it down to make sure I'm not overpaying by a $1.

It's really about what I'm comfortable with, I'll make him an offer, if he accepts, great but I'm not going to go elsewhere simply cause he said no the first time.

If I was a dealer, I'd be consitantly asking myself, How can I sell more of what I have? how can I improve my marketing, my print ads, my online ads, my website, my customer service. Is there any other way to sell what I have other than a website and online auctions? How can I improve my packaging? My delivery time? Most people don't realize how much work goes into being a dealer. You don't just throw book on the table at a show and sell everything.

It's a real business with real costs and is very time consuming and you can't have any attachment to anything. Weather you have a 9.8 AF 15 or a 9.6 Detective 27, it all has to go.