• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Advertising in Overstreet guide really work?

27 posts in this topic

I spent some time this afternoon looking through this past years Overstreet price guide. I enjoy reading it, but the book is flooded with advertisements (actually I enjoy looking at these as well). Of course this doesn't surprise me as someone has to pay for printing and mass circulation of it. However I was wondering, for those who have been running ads in it for years, does it really pay off? I see ad after ad saying the same thing:

"We pay more than anyone"

"Millions of dollars cash available"

"Top prices paid for comics"

ect., ect.

Bottom line it would seem these ads are geared more towards collector's wanting to sell their collection opposed to mom or a grandmom who stumbles across an amazing find. I can't imagine someone with little to no experience buying the price guide and calling a number in one of the ads. This seems like too much of a stretch.

I imagine a color ad is pretty expense and I'm wondering if it's been beneficial to dealers/companies or if it's just more of a "I'm here, this is us" form of marketing?

Yes it does or I wouldn't advertise in it

I pick up new customers and have gotten a lot of leads from it.

I was going to use you as an example. When I got back into the hobby back in 2002, I bought the OSPG and saw Bob's ad. I've been a customer ever since. I try and buy something from Bob every year (usually I buy multiple things from him).

I would have eventually learned about him here on the boards, but the first time I heard of High Grade Comics, it was thru the OSPG.

Yes, the ads "work".

I'm 15 years in a row now I believe. It was really good for first 6-7 years but now not like it used to be with everyone a dealer on ebay.

I rarely have a year where I don't find a collection that doesn't pay for my ad and then every once in a blue moon a good collection comes my way.

My advantage is I really do pay top dollar, and have millions available, and we do pay more than anyone! :insane:

Really my advantage is I'm located in KY and most of my calls are 2-8 hours away from my area. Gives me a slight advantage on marginal collections where I will drive to view the comics that east and west coast dealers won't.

Then on rare occasions you get a box of G/VG reader comics like this yesterday showing up unannounced with a note in the box saying please pay me what you can. :facepalm:

What I want is you to send me $15 so I can return them.

95d3b303-1582-4fc5-a75a-8f1de1b665dd_zpsf0ec7c37.jpg

I get more call from people looking for comics than selling so I make some good connections through the guide.

Leroy

I think the ads work or else people wouldn't pay for them. Having said that, I'm surprised that some of the long standing advertisers don't "freshen" up their ads a little. Dave Anderson at Want List Comics has had the same ad in the guide for the better part of 20 years. Dave's a great guy, but I always wonder why he doesn't change it up a little.

Maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it, who knows.

Cheapskates can go to the library to review the last 2 years of Overstreets to see who renews there ads to determine who to call. Ad worked for Greg Reece to scoop up a SA DC collection from greggy's backyard.

I'm surprised people looking to buy comics respond to ads looking to buy comics. There's no shortage of people advertising comics for sale all over the internet and Craigslist. But if it works, it works.

I was speaking with a dealer last year that had gotten a lead on a large Golden Age collection that was out of this world...Marvel 1 was one of the books in the collection. The woman that called him about the collection was someone who had seen his ad in the Overstreet. The thing that is amusing about this was that even he said "I don't know how she picked me. I have one ad in there and it's not even near the beginning of the book. It's buried among the usual big hitters...Metro, Neat Stuff, Comic Link, etc..."....

We stopped advertising in the guide about five years ago. I just felt that the expense involved in getting placement that would get noticed wasn't worth it to me. We haven't had any trouble picking up collections but who knows what we may have missed out on.

I was speaking with a dealer last year that had gotten a lead on a large Golden Age collection that was out of this world...Marvel 1 was one of the books in the collection. The woman that called him about the collection was someone who had seen his ad in the Overstreet. The thing that is amusing about this was that even he said "I don't know how she picked me. I have one ad in there and it's not even near the beginning of the book. It's buried among the usual big hitters...Metro, Neat Stuff, Comic Link, etc..."....

She thought he had an "honest face" . . . lol