• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which copper books cracked the $100 barrier...but not fueled by a movie?

117 posts in this topic

You guys who thumbed your noses at Copper are going to pay a heavy, heavy price... ;)

Guys,

Thanks so much for the list so far.

You're right...which is why I'm crossing over. These books are cool because they were selling when I first got heavy into collecting so I shouldn't have too hard of a time reaquanting myself with them.

I'm tired of chasing books in low grade so that I can afford them. So I'm finding these attractive. FWIW, the reason for my arbitrary cutoff of $100 is because I was looking for books that were moving up, percentagewise, about as fast as Hulk 181 when you factor in that these books haven't been "cooking" as long.

Plus, a $100 is worth thumbing through the dollar boxes for...right?

Keep them coming, and I hope this list helps everyone who contributes to it.

Steve

You guys who thumbed your noses at Copper are going to pay a heavy, heavy price... ;)

Guys,

You're right...which is why I'm crossing over. These books are cool because they were selling when I first got heavy into collecting so I shouldn't have too hard of a time reaquanting myself with them.

I'm tired of chasing books in low grade so that I can afford them. So I'm finding these attractive. FWIW, the reason for my arbitrary cutoff of $100 is because I was looking for books that were moving up, percentagewise, about as fast as Hulk 181 when you factor in that these books haven't been "cooking" as long.

Steve

Oh man ... if you're jumping in now, kiss your money goodbye!

Guys,

Steve

Oh man ... if you're jumping in now, kiss your money goodbye!

Heh...compared to what I've been spending, this will be a breather for me. :) But I will probably collect the grade that comes closest to about $100...whether that is NM/M or VF.

New Teen Titans #2 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2005. #44 was >$100 in 9.8 for most of 2012 and occasionally sales were higher in years prior. Neither of these was driven over $100 because of TV or a movie. First Deathstroke was a semi-key long before a TV appearance.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

Xmen #266 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2002.

See original post

It's a silly distinction. All books are pricier if they're higher grade. No grade min or max was given, just not 9.6 or 9.8 slabbed. Should we only discuss books 8.0-9.2? 6.5-9.4?

He's talking about raw books, dinkus.

No duh. LMK how you would assess the market for non-graded high grade books anyway. Especially without any grade range. Which grade of these non-movie, now non-TV, books should we be expounding on? G, VG, VF?

So we just turn over all the research we have done looking for books just like that?

Pretty much. Which is why this thread has the feel of a thinly disguised, "What's hot now that I can flip?"

New Teen Titans #2 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2005. #44 was >$100 in 9.8 for most of 2012 and occasionally sales were higher in years prior. Neither of these was driven over $100 because of TV or a movie. First Deathstroke was a semi-key long before a TV appearance.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

If you read the original post the person did not want graded books just raw. To everyone please stop adding New Teen Titans #2 or #44 & X-Men #266 to this thread.

Lets watch tonight!

Yikes! Those suckers that are bidding on that are going to be surprised when they get an over graded 5.0 copy. There's not even a back cover scan to help it's case.

doh! except that its donuts book, and probably closer to VF

So we just turn over all the research we have done looking for books just like that?

You know me better than that. Do you think I would give all my secrets. Unfortunately some members said to much. The books that will have real growth in the next 5 years I kept to myself.

You know me better than that. Do you think I would give all my secrets. Unfortunately some members said to much. The books that will have real growth in the next 5 years I kept to myself.

I agree, and thanks for the PM. I do still disagree about that one though.

Yeah, stating simple facts like TMNT 1 and Albedo 2 are (over) $100 books is definitely giving away a lifetime of research. This thread is full of so much :facepalm: , it's not even funny.

Seriously, if you're looking for significant future growth in Copper, look away from the books that have broken the $100 barrier. Oops... is that giving away more secrets?

I'm curious how this isn't akin to the other threads asking for hot books?

I'll give you no-brainers. New Teen Titans #2 and #44. Neither are movie related.

I would think we would throw TV into the classifier as well and with that NTT #2 would be removed.

Also, OP, are you talking graded or raw? Big difference.

What TV fueled NTT #2 prices popping? (Yes, I know current levels are higher than 2 years ago). It started popping a long time ago (though not to the current heights, true). I remember fishing a 4.0 - 4.5 (at best) copy out of a dollar box 9 or so years ago and getting $10 for it on ebay when it was still $6 in NM in guide.

He's talking about raw books, dinkus.

No duh. LMK how you would assess the market for non-graded high grade books anyway. Especially without any grade range. Which grade of these non-movie, now non-TV, books should we be expounding on? G, VG, VF?

There is a grade call NM.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

If you read the original post the person did not want graded books just raw. To everyone please stop adding New Teen Titans #2 or #44 & X-Men #266 to this thread.

Lets watch tonight!

Yikes! Those suckers that are bidding on that are going to be surprised when they get an over graded 5.0 copy. There's not even a back cover scan to help it's case.

doh! except that its donuts book, and probably closer to VF

7.0 sounds about right based on that front cover scan assuming the back doesn't have a pee stain on it or something.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

NTT #2

Just sold a raw NM here (with no inference that it was likely a 9.6 or 9.8 or that it could be pressed into that, although I think it probably could be) for $100 a couple of weeks ago

Didn't think 44 or 266 were there yet raw?

I think a good standard would be books that hit the $100 threshold when described as NM with no claim that it's really a 9.8 or what have you.

Well, $100 is hard to hide other than some 4th prints, wacky newstand variants or unheard of indies (how about strangers in paradise 1? not exactly unheard of though)

Love and Rockets 1 first print must qualify, no?