• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you turn in labels when you crack out a book?

29 posts in this topic

I brought this up on another thread, but I believe this is important enough to warrant its own thread.

If you crack out a book, (to re-submit, get it pressed or just to have), do you turn in the label to CGC to help keep the census accurate? If not, then this is an appeal to everyone to send in those labels so the census can be accurate as possible. Doing this can only benefit all of us.

Who knows, maybe that 9.6 book you have is not really 1 of 6 in that grade, but possibly the only one that has been re-subbed 5 times. How much more valuable is it if it's the only one versus 1 of 6? If we don't try to keep the census accurate, then the market looks more diluted than it really is, and that's hurting everyone's bottom line. So send in those labels, and if you threw them away or have lost them, notify CGC anyway, you still might be able to retrieve the old number with a little research and get it removed from the census.

(thumbs u

Yes, that would work. I just put mine in a separate envelope marked "Cracked out labels." and shipped it with one of my submissions. They will take care of the rest.

Even if you just mailed in any loose labels separately, they would know to delete them from the census. All that matters is they get them back.

I put them in the back of the board in the bag with the comic after I crack them out.

I do the same. The book is no longer a CGC grade but the book still exists.

The census for that comic is still incorrect but it is less incorrect than creating the phantom existence of a book by resubmission.

While we're on the topic, why do people crack CGC books? I see absolutely no point in it! (Except for resubmission after a press, a cleaning or something similar.) Why pay a premium for a graded book and then crack it out and lose at least 20% of the value? Why not just buy a high grade raw book if you want it in your collection. If you want to read it, why not just buy a reader copy you can throw around? Man...I just don't get it! MAKES NO SENSE! :frustrated:

I put them in the back of the board in the bag with the comic after I crack them out.

+1

Why pay the premium just to crack a high grade book? I do it cause I want the most perfect copy I can get my hands on. Plus I think a book looks sharper and brighter when it's bagged and boarded.

Keeping a Universal slabbed just does not work for me. (shrug)

FDDF94A7-E07A-4741-A44C-9F7B8650DBC4_zpsvnaecmys.jpg

76CFBA19-CCE4-4514-BA67-6CB0F77DA8D8_zpsrm9jk156.jpg

+1

Why pay the premium just to crack a high grade book? I do it cause I want the most perfect copy I can get my hands on. Plus I think a book looks sharper and brighter when it's bagged and boarded.

Keeping a Universal slabbed just does not work for me. (shrug)

FDDF94A7-E07A-4741-A44C-9F7B8650DBC4_zpsvnaecmys.jpg

76CFBA19-CCE4-4514-BA67-6CB0F77DA8D8_zpsrm9jk156.jpg

That's how I do it. (thumbs u

I buy the big keys slabbed because I know I'm getting the grade I want, as well as knowing that it's not restored, but I crack them out as soon as I get them.

I like to read my books and touch them and smell the pages.

While we're on the topic, why do people crack CGC books? I see absolutely no point in it! (Except for resubmission after a press, a cleaning or something similar.) Why pay a premium for a graded book and then crack it out and lose at least 20% of the value? Why not just buy a high grade raw book if you want it in your collection. If you want to read it, why not just buy a reader copy you can throw around? Man...I just don't get it! MAKES NO SENSE! :frustrated:

Because I'm making the purchase to acquire the comic, not the plastic holder.

Because the CGC inner well isn't of the archival quality of Mylar and I'm not going to pay CGC every few years to re-holder the book.

Because I like keeping all my comics together, not separating the CGC from the non-CGC and buying all the peraphanalia that goes along with storing CGC slabs.

Because I don't buy nose-bleed grades, über-keys, pedigrees or movie-hype books so I don't pay premiums for the CGC books I buy.

I appreciate CGC's opinion on the grade and restoration status but I don't care to drink their kool-aid.

I wonder exactly the opposite: I consider CGC grading a great service, but a book I can’t read is useless to me, so:

1) I would not pay an excessive "premium" – as you say – for a slabbed book;

2) I would buy a CGC graded book because it warrants me professional grading, which – if I buy from a seller I do not know – is never a given thing;

Said this, if I could see books and have them in hand, one can buy them raw, but CGC professional grading became important for those who cannot see the books or are not enough familiar with professional dealers they can trust.

I’d have many examples but one for all: I am in Italy, and if I did not know reliable sellers (which thankfully I do) I would buy more CGC graded books – but again, not at a big premium.

Besides this, I was just looking today at a slabbed book I was tempted to crack out: the case plastic has a slight blue color to it, so – as clear as it is when new, it does not even allow the colors of the book to be seen in their best light.

I understand some collectors enjoy the slabs, but I can’t reduce a printed comic, or book, to an object, regardless. To me, it must be accessible.

I've never paid more for a slabbed book than I would pay raw, but I'm mostly buying low-mid grade Gold and Atom Age. The ones I plan on keeping I crack out. They might be a tad easier to sell later still in the slab, but I find slabs annoying. Even if I never want to leaf through a book, I think they look much better in mylar than in a plastic case that tends to dull the colors.

I usually keep the label with the book when I've cracked it out, as it may be of interest to a future buyer. If I was resubbing I'd send the label back in, but I don't feel an obligation to notify CGC every time I crack a comic out of it's case. For most comics, the census is an inadequate measure of what's out there anyway.

I usually keep the label with the book when I've cracked it out, as it may be of interest to a future buyer. If I was resubbing I'd send the label back in, but I don't feel an obligation to notify CGC every time I crack a comic out of it's case.

I entirely agree, but more than "an obligation" I’d say it would make sense if it helped 100% to make things clearer. But unless you reslab the book it creates a sort of ambiguity, so I think it’s better to keep the label with the book if you plan to keep it, and keep it raw. (shrug)

Similar conversation topic has popped up on the CU forums more than once, cracking and resubbing cards to PSA which both manipulates and skews the pop report and should one send the label back in if you have cracked a card out. I say in the interest of fairness the label should be returned, and the pop report updated as such. I'll say the same for comics. rantrant

I wonder exactly the opposite: I consider CGC grading a great service, but a book I can’t read is useless to me, so:

1) I would not pay an excessive "premium" – as you say – for a slabbed book;

This is complete bull-:censored:. CGC books are almost always more because the the book is "professionally" graded. You pay for the slab in one way or another. In addition, you added "excessive" to my statement. I didn't say excessive, I said a premium. On a ten dollar book, it might be 10 or 20 bucks. On an AF 15, it'll likely be hundreds at lower grade and thousands at higher grades.

2) I would buy a CGC graded book because it warrants me professional grading, which – if I buy from a seller I do not know – is never a given thing;

True, but once you crack it, that grade no longer applies. So, you buy a 9.8 and open it to read it...put a spine crease in it...now it's a 9.4 maybe a 9.6. You just lost 30% on your value. That's like buying a stock high and selling it low. Again, this makes no sense.

Said this, if I could see books and have them in hand, one can buy them raw, but CGC professional grading became important for those who cannot see the books or are not enough familiar with professional dealers they can trust.

I’d have many examples but one for all: I am in Italy, and if I did not know reliable sellers (which thankfully I do) I would buy more CGC graded books – but again, not at a big premium.

Besides this, I was just looking today at a slabbed book I was tempted to crack out: the case plastic has a slight blue color to it, so – as clear as it is when new, it does not even allow the colors of the book to be seen in their best light.

I understand some collectors enjoy the slabs, but I can’t reduce a printed comic, or book, to an object, regardless. To me, it must be accessible.