• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 cgc 9.6 on ebay....

33 posts in this topic

no reserve on that ASM ?! - someone is getting it ! - and the thing is too, being that it's JP , it's not a scam.

Well, last time it sold to a "legitimate" buyer, also no reserve (a bit over $100K if I recall), but it still unraveled after the deal, which is why this book is back up again. A deal's never done until the money and the book have changed hands, I guess.

As for the last part of your statement, if you go back and look at some of the threads discussing JP's previous big auctions, you'll see that a lot of the conspiracy freaks on these boards would not necessarily agree with you.

Well, last time it sold to a "legitimate" buyer, also no reserve (a bit over $100K if I recall), but it still unraveled after the deal, which is why this book is back up again.

And after that deal died, it got listed again--along with an FF #1 CGC 9.4, if memory serves--and then pulled the last day of the auction. No reason to believe that won't happen again here if the prices aren't working out...

So with 7+ days left to go yet, the bidding is already up to $110,100. None of the names of the top bidders are names I`m familiar with, and doing a few quick random checks of their feedbacks none of them seem to have a history of throwing big money at comics. On the other hand, none of them look like shill bidders either. This will certainly be interesting.

So with 7+ days left to go yet, the bidding is already up to $110,100. None of the names of the top bidders are names I`m familiar with, and doing a few quick random checks of their feedbacks none of them seem to have a history of throwing big money at comics. On the other hand, none of them look like shill bidders either. This will certainly be interesting.

As much as I would love to own a high grade copy, I have already been priced out of the running before I was even aware of the auction. So much for not have deep pockets. confused-smiley-013.gif

As much as I would love to own a high grade copy, I have already been priced out of the running before I was even aware of the auction. So much for not have deep pockets. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, I don't have a problem with the $350K for the Marvel Comics #1. I just can't afford to pay for the $25 shipping cost. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

thats what I mean. seems to me books 'worth' that much are so illiquid it makes we wonder if they really ARE worth that much...? When the pool of willing and able buyers is only 2 or 3 people, and they all pass, ..??

If all the willing and able collectors pass, then there IS no market for the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thats what I mean. seems to me books 'worth' that much are so illiquid it makes we wonder if they really ARE worth that much...? When the pool of willing and able buyers is only 2 or 3 people, and they all pass, ..??

If all the willing and able collectors pass, then there IS no market for the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Until you lower the price to a point where someone is willing to buy... But of course we know dealers don't do that because basic economic principles such as time value of money and opportunity cost don't apply to the comics biz.

Ok here's the deal. We get 35,000 board members to put up $10 each to buy the book. We can then say that "we co -own the MMC 1." We might have difficulties in making decisions such as, where do we keep it? Perhaps we can move it around so each member has it for a day or two. thinking about it the last person wouldn't see the book for 70,000 days or 191 years. Hopefully you'll still remember that the book was partially your's. Do you think everyone will wait? Having so many owners might create other problems with decision making. Suppose 17,501 want the book broken out of the casing and pressed? Will a simple majority suffice? Maybe we should invite Borock into the club and then have the book sent in for regrading. Imagine what another tick might do for the pricing?