• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought my first cgc comic, and Hi all

19 posts in this topic

Hello, first time post here, but i have been trolling for several months now and love the information that is posted on these boards.

I have had many failed raw purchases ( the latest was a Fantastic Four #12 that was described as fine but when I got it there was a CHUNK missing from the LRHC and multiple stress marks on the spine. Oh yes it was also trimmed which is my most hated alteration!!) .

Then there was my Amazing Spiderman #15. I even got to look at this one in person. The dealer called it an 8.5 and I have to admit I agreed until I got it home and placed it amongst my other ASM of that time period and noticed it was slightly slimmer and not as tall having had 1 16th of an inch trimmed from the right side and the top. Grrrr!

Anyways, in light of this kind of stuff I decided to buy a CGC Iron Man number 1 in 9.2 grade off of Ebay.

It comes from the Western Penn pedigree. I have not received the book yet but I am getting pretty anxious. This will be my very first slabbed comic purchase.

I tend to be real picky on my grades and was wondering if you all generally have agreed with the CGC grade on the slabbed books? Or is a comic in the higher grade tough to call: one man's 9.2 is another's 9.6?

Thanks all, hope to be a regular poster here.

smile.gif

Artboy99

hi.gif

When you're buying books like Iron Man 1 in 9.2 or Spidey 15 in 8.5, or any book worth more than $200 or so, certification is just the only way to go.

Welcome to the boards.

This is probaly the best advice I've read about buying HG key issues hail.gif

C YA around the boards thumbsup2.gif

Actually I would add or supplant buying from a reputable dealer is the best way to go. A lot of trashing is throw around here about comic book dealers - I think deservedly so, however there are also some real awesome vendors in the industry, a few of them even frequent these boards. thumbsup2.gif

Actually I would add or supplant buying from a reputable dealer is the best way to go.

Which dealers do you trust to detect restoration on raw books like the higher-priced books Artboy was trying to buy?

Welcome to the Boards!!

Lately, I've been getting pretty close to the CGC grades I've received. The thing is, I have a problem with certain defects than CGC does (just personal preferences).

That's why I always request large front and back cover scans - buy the book, not the label! thumbsup2.gif

One of my big beefs with CGC is the off-centering doesnt seem to affect the grade they assign it. I have seen CGC grades of 9.6 on very off centered books.

Sigh..I think I am just too picky.

By the way, thank you all for the warm welcome!

Artboy99

hi.gif

When you're buying books like Iron Man 1 in 9.2 or Spidey 15 in 8.5, or any book worth more than $200 or so, certification is just the only way to go.

If buying over the internet via eBay, Comiclink etc I would certainly agree. If you can handle the books in person and see what you are getting, then these books are fine to buy from a reputable dealer, who usually offer money back guarantees against restioration.

Oh, and welcome to the boards. thumbsup2.gif

One of my big beefs with CGC is the off-centering doesnt seem to affect the grade they assign it. I have seen CGC grades of 9.6 on very off centered books.

Quality of Production (QP) issues like off-centering, miswraps, etc. are discussed on these boards quite a bit, I know that I have become much more sensitive to QP defects since frequenting these boards.

As a buyer, the fact that CGC doesn't incorporate QP into its grading standards shouldn't impact you at all (assuming you're able to view a scan first, which you always should). If you see a 9.6 book but it's got more QP defects than you're willing to accept, vote with your feet (or wallet) and simply don't buy it.

As a seller, the fact that CGC doesn't incorporate QP benefits you, because you'll get the same grade even with bad QP, and then you might be able to sell for "full price" to buyers who don't care about QP. Seems like a win-win situation to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Quality of Production (QP) issues like off-centering, miswraps, etc. are discussed on these boards quite a bit, I know that I have become much more sensitive to QP defects since frequenting these boards.

As a buyer, the fact that CGC doesn't incorporate QP into its grading standards shouldn't impact you at all (assuming you're able to view a scan first, which you always should). If you see a 9.6 book but it's got more QP defects than you're willing to accept, vote with your feet (or wallet) and simply don't buy it.

As a seller, the fact that CGC doesn't incorporate QP benefits you, because you'll get the same grade even with bad QP, and then you might be able to sell for "full price" to buyers who don't care about QP. Seems like a win-win situation to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif