• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

Figure I would ask this question in this thread....

Why are ASM #430 and #431 priced so high?

I understand a cosmic Carnage is kind of cool for a story-line, but there has to be something else.

Do these two books have a low print run?

Thanks!

Low print run. Almost the very end of Volume 1 a lot of collectors had quit by then. Also there is quite a cult following for this book and it has produced a follow up What IF issue that sells almost as well.

Figured.

Thank you for confirming!

I have completed an entire run of ASM from AF15,ASM1-700,and the ones in the 425-441 were some of the hardest to find in high grade.

Wow! Very nice, my man!

My collecting is all over the dang place right now.

I've started to shift over to Carnage and Venom from The Crow, because the well seems to have run dry on those.

I understand a cosmic Carnage is kind of cool for a story-line, but there has to be something else.

Thanks!

Low print run. Almost the very end of Volume 1 a lot of collectors had quit by then. Also there is quite a cult following for this book and it has produced a follow up What IF issue that sells almost as well.

Yeah, I've spotted that one as well.

I believe it is a What If? vs the Avengers.

I need to see if I own that raw. I know I own the Deadpool/Venom What If? raw, but it isn't a high enough grade to slab, and it is another one I want.

Are you saying that you sold a raw NM 9.4 ASM 362 at a show for $50?

If so, you're the effing man.....I usually just put 362 into my $10 boxes at shows, to move them without any hassle.

I've got a raw 9.0 in my $10 show stock boxes and put a raw dead 9.8 aside, priced it at $50.Will probably just submit it. I don't have any conventions til march, anyway and trying to get top dollar for raw books on eBay is a waste of time.

Were you responding to my post? We have been getting $40-$60 or more for raw #361s for a few years now (three years ago it was $40, last year $50 - $60). That being said, I stickered my CGC 9.6 newsstand #361 at $250 last spring and it sold fast, then put up my CGC 9.6 #362 for $150 and it sold fast as well at the same show.

Were those in Canuck dollars? If those sales were priced in US dollars you did really well indeed.

Exchange rate at the time was about 8%.

Remember, we were also getting $40+ for them not that long ago when they were $15 books on eBay and the $CDN was at par or above the $US as well.

Thanks!

Low print run. (thumbs u

Relatively, considering they are issues of Amazing Spider-Man. Not the lowest printed issues of the title if you count v.2 as still being ASM, but close for v.1.

ASM was still approximately a top 20 title around this time. Of course, at this point a top title wasn't what it was in the 80s or early 90s.

Yeah, this book has two glaring issues I hate. The little news print tears along the bottom. And the off center problems especially along the spine.

Yep I see those two all the time. I really think this book has more issues then probably 95% of the modern/coppers I hunt down. Its to this point. When a seller tells me they have an ASM 361 to sell, my first question anymore is whats wrong with it? Because no seller in their right mind would sell a NM+ copy right now. Usually it has one of the two defects above.

Because no seller in their right mind would sell a NM+ copy right now. Usually it has one of the two defects above.

Neither of which will negate the potential of a 9.8 grade.

Edited by darkstar

Because no seller in their right mind would sell a NM+ copy right now. Usually it has one of the two defects above.

Neither of which will negate the potential of a 9.8 grade.

True.

It just negated the odds of me buying one. They can be ugly looking.

What's funny is that everybody's complaining about all the defects this issue has, but without discussions like this, I wouldn't have realized that the terrible miswraps and tears are so prevalent. The only common defect I've noticed on the copies I've owned is the slight looseness at the staples.

I've always like Bagley, especially his various Spidey runs.

#361 is so iconic to me. Gives me chills seeing it to this day because of the good memories.

When you go to pin one down for the PC, it gets pretty hard finding the right one because of these minor (sometimes major) 'defects'.

Figured.

Thank you for confirming!

I have completed an entire run of ASM from AF15,ASM1-700,and the ones in the 425-441 were some of the hardest to find in high grade.

Hey Oakman,

How long did you shop for your AF #15?

I bet a big purchase like that is so fun. Finding the perfect book can take a long time. Or did you get lucky early once you knew you were ready?

I like hearing stories like this....

What's funny is that everybody's complaining about all the defects this issue has, but without discussions like this, I wouldn't have realized that the terrible miswraps and tears are so prevalent. The only common defect I've noticed on the copies I've owned is the slight looseness at the staples.

+1 on the staple looseness, haven't really noticed miswraps out of the ordinary for this one.

Edited by mrwoogieman