• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you ask yourself before committing to a $++ book?

42 posts in this topic

When you're on the fence on if it's the best time to buy a book, what helps you make up your mind?

I struggle with hype and fear based motivations, so it's tough to know if I'll really regret not buying now, or I'm just falling for it like everyone else...

In the past these questions have helped me, but I'm curious on other strategies.

"If this book prevented you from buying the book you REALLY want tomorrow, would you still buy it?"

"What books from your collection would you trade for this?"

"Would you rather have 10 of these or just 1 of these?"

"How low would I need to price this book if I had to sell it tomorrow?"

"I regret saving the extra just $$$ by not buying this now?"

"If I still want this in a few years, am I OK with paying double?"

thx

1)How long has this been on my want list?

2)That's a kick cover!

3)Its a 'key'. And it's a good deal

4)You don't see this 'one' very often. better jump

5)Three auction houses running simultaneous auctions with books i want from each. how do i choose?

6)What are my other financial commitments right now

7)How many are on the CGC census

*****(not necessarily in that order)

Number one how understanding is the wife on your addiction :)

^^

I have the same issue, so I chose a different path.

A. What time is the FedEx truck delivering it, and sneaking out of work to get the package and hide it from the wife.

B. save enough secret money so wife does not notice it

C. Tell wife "I already had the book, you have a bad memory"

:tonofbricks:

I've had enough gf's turn from slow witted make-up mannequin's, to Gestapo interrogation experts, with a memory bordering on sublime when it comes to 'discussing' my inappropriate decisions.

Number one how understanding is the wife on your addiction :)

^^

I have the same issue, so I chose a different path.

A. What time is the FedEx truck delivering it, and sneaking out of work to get the package and hide it from the wife.

B. save enough secret money so wife does not notice it

Three rules to collect by.Very Good!

:tonofbricks:

I've had enough gf's turn from slow witted make-up mannequin's, to Gestapo interrogation experts, with a memory bordering on sublime when it comes to 'discussing' my inappropriate decisions.

Hahahha I used to think my wife didnt pay attention, then one day at Kohls the topic came up when she wanted an impulse buy. Heritage/Clink have a buyer prem, my wife gets spouse ad valorum credits

You don't so much ask yourself anything - you just ignore your better judgement, your survival instincts, and the consequences, and pull that trigger, ensuring that if everything goes belly up later in a miasma of buyer's remorse, at least you enjoyed that solitary and brief rush of excitement and adrenalin when the book instantaneously, through the enabler that is the internet, became yours.

You don't so much ask yourself anything - you just ignore your better judgement, your survival instincts, and the consequences, and pull that trigger, ensuring that if everything goes belly up later in a miasma of buyer's remorse, at least you enjoyed that solitary and brief rush of excitement and adrenalin when the book instantaneously, through the enabler that is the internet, became yours.

:golfclap:

Oh yes, this needs to be preserved in amber!

I thought you just raised the taxes on the serfs working on your estates?

When you're on the fence on if it's the best time to buy a book, what helps you make up your mind?

I talk to Delekkerste. Afterwards, I feel so depressed and anxious that I spend the money on guns, ammo and canned food instead.

"Is it worth the price to me?"

Not guide, or GPA, but to me. If it is, then I buy it. If it isn't, then I don't

Can confirm. I've seen Bill flip through a book, smell it, weigh it in his hands, and say "This feels like a $10,000 book..."

hm