• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

For further simplification.....

It is not on the label because 99 % of the market does not see it as a noteworthy factor.

to quote ciorac....

period.

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think if 99% of the market saw the book that started this thread, they might feel differently. 2c

This thread for about 3,070 posts now...

saupload_lather_rinse_repeat.jpg

Did you miss the guy wishing he were dead?

It was semi interesting.

Yes. Link please. :foryou:

On my phone so linking is a pain but it is about a dozen or so posts before mine.

This depresses me almost to the point of wishing I were dead.

Comics haven't made me feel that way since I was subjected to Liefeld's New Mutants.

Here you go Dicey!

It is not on the label because 99 % of the market does not see it as a noteworthy factor.

to quote ciorac....

period.

GOD BLESS....

I think if 99% of the market saw the book that started this thread, they might feel differently. 2c

..... you mentioned earlier that you're not that familiar with all this...... my suggestion would be to have a couple of your books pressed and see for yourself. The vast majority of pressed books do not look anything at all like the few books in this thread. I've had several of my books pressed because they look better. They're in mylars in my collection. Do some more research before you form your final opinion...... not all books will benefit from pressing..... but some of your books might. Don't close a door based on "he said, she said..." GOD BLESS....

It was semi interesting.

I wonder how's he going to react when he discovers that the very example that made him wish he was dead - the DD #7 jumping from an 8.5 to a 9.6 and loosing its "freshness" in the process - was completely made up hm

I shall not be responsible for Captain Hyperbole bursting an important blood vessel so I am gonna take a pass on guessing.

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

Cover shrinkage is a common consequence of improper pressing. The actual shrinkage will vary depending on several factors — but, without intervention, any shrinkage can lower the book's overall grade.

Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved.

Common shrinkage ranges from 1/64 inch to 1/16 inch, and excessive shrinkage up to 1/8 inch. Because it is difficult or impossible to always tell whether shrinkage occurred naturally or from pressing, CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

Cover shrinkage is a common consequence of improper pressing. The actual shrinkage will vary depending on several factors — but, without intervention, any shrinkage can lower the book's overall grade.

Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved.

Common shrinkage ranges from 1/64 inch to 1/16 inch, and excessive shrinkage up to 1/8 inch. Because it is difficult or impossible to always tell whether shrinkage occurred naturally or from pressing, CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

CGC doesn't downgrade for manufacturing defects.... :facepalm:

to quote ciorac....

period.

GOD BLESS....

..... you mentioned earlier that you're not that familiar with all this...... my suggestion would be to have a couple of your books pressed and see for yourself. The vast majority of pressed books do not look anything at all like the few books in this thread. I've had several of my books pressed because they look better. They're in mylars in my collection. Do some more research before you form your final opinion...... not all books will benefit from pressing..... but some of your books might. Don't close a door based on "he said, she said..." GOD BLESS....

Appreciate the advice. And I have no doubt that there are many situations where the intervention could be beneficial. I just hate seeing nice books handled badly. (thumbs u

. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

Would love to hear an explanation of this. I assume this means that CCS will roll the spine forward until the cover matches up with the pages again. :facepalm:

It was semi interesting.

I wonder how's he going to react when he discovers that the very example that made him wish he was dead - the DD #7 jumping from an 8.5 to a 9.6 and loosing its "freshness" in the process - was completely made up hm

I shall not be responsible for Captain Hyperbole bursting an important blood vessel so I am gonna take a pass on guessing.

Another factor to consider is that it was very possible that the book was not pressed again and just resubmitted.

If there are no pressable defects, there is no need to have a book pressed.

I've bought books that I know went through Doug's hands and know for a fact were not pressed by him (or whomever presses books for him).

Jumping to conclusions isn't going to get a discussion anywhere.

Of course they do, and they always have.

They just do it differently than some of us might.

It was semi interesting.

Another factor to consider is that it was very possible that the book was not pressed again and just resubmitted.

If there are no pressable defects, there is no need to have a book pressed.

I've bought books that I know went through Doug's hands and know for a fact were not pressed by him (or whomever presses books for him).

Jumping to conclusions isn't going to get a discussion anywhere.

Ridiculous hyperbole is awesome.

I just glanced through the rest of your post, longhair.

Enlighten me.... :popcorn:

The following production defects are not allowed in certain grades - meaning, CGC does downgrade for them:

Marvel chipping, pre-chipping, printer marks, printer wrinkles (greggy nutsack creases), miswraps, staple tears, siamesed pages, bent staples, miscut books, trapezoidal miscuts. There are more, I just can't remember them all.

You may not agree with the grades they do happen to allow these defects in but it's not accurate to say that CGC doesn't downgrade for manufacturing defects. They clearly do.

The rationale for the reason that they might grade many of the defects the way they do is not always a mystery but you can reverse engineer many of them and when you analyze it, a lot of it makes sense.

Fingerprints on the cover when the inks were wet are downgraded.

I just got a batch of books back. Not happy.

Amazing that when I submit books the back cover is the issue.

I didn't think CGC graded those anymore.

bob

Enlighten me.... :popcorn:

The following production defects are not allowed in certain grades - meaning, CGC does downgrade for them:

Marvel chipping, pre-chipping, printer marks, printer wrinkles (greggy nutsack creases), miswraps, staple tears, siamesed pages, bent staples, miscut books, trapezoidal miscuts. There are more, I just can't remember them all.

You may not agree with the grades they do happen to allow these defects in but it's not accurate to say that CGC doesn't downgrade for manufacturing defects. They clearly do.

The rationale for the reason that they might grade many of the defects the way they do is not always a mystery but you can reverse engineer many of them and when you analyze it, a lot of it makes sense.

Ah yes. The CGC cut-off

So what....shrunken covers aren't allowed in 9.8 or better? Fantastic.

Ah yes. The CGC cut-off

I believe that production defects can also cumulatively affect the grade on books have potential marginal grades (or tweeners).

I have no idea what grades the shrunken covers will garner.

It was semi interesting.

What depressed me was not the DD#7, but rather this statement from bomber-bob:

"... if you ever ever [sic] owned books from certain pedigrees that have outstanding color you can see a deterioration in the color after a pressing.

It's a subtle thing, only noticeable in hand, but that sharp brightness, fresh off the stand look is diminished. I can only imagine that multiple pressings will completely destroy the freshness factor."

Ah yes. The CGC cut-off

I believe that production defects can also cumulatively affect the grade on books have potential marginal grades (or tweeners).

I have no idea what grades the shrunken covers will garner.

9.6 apparently. :tonofbricks: