• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow up response from Steve Borock

823 posts in this topic

At this point, I have no choice but to interpret the silence on the matter as confirmation of the many sources of this information I and others have received.

Red Hook

Please enlighten us simpletons(speaking for myself) ont this statement.

Steve has not confirmed or denied this, and you have confirmation from others who have witnessed this being performed?

Chris's pressing skills were definately available to 'select clients' as far back as last year's Chicago con.

I know this....because in a discussion with Steve at that convention, he had asked if I would like Chris to look at one of my books that had suffered from SCS.

Hear hear.

Probably one of the best thought out and articulate posts I've read since I joined.

I wondered tho' why SB felt the need to deflect attention onto anonymous posters.

I personally don't have a problem proving who I am, my name is on my profile...

and from what I have read in the last week there are enough sensible board members who can determine themselves who is scare mongering, and who is stirring it up so to speak.

So I can't see how this has anything to do with the real issue, it smacks of political smoke screening.

He didn't say the names had to be made public, just that your name must be verifiable by a mod. to keep the shills out.

I have no problem with that.

Many message boards do this - keeps the shills out.

Fair question. In my case, there are three reasons:

1. I, like many of the serious collectors that I know, have an influential position (lawyer, doctor, manager, professor, ...). While some people prefer to be open about their hobby (more power to them!), many of us find that it simplifies things professionally to remain anonymous. In some circles, buying valuable comics would be perceived as a weakness that your enemies would try to explore to their advantage.

2. I've found that keeping a low profile opens the door to doing business with people from category 1. I've landed some of my best deals because my contacts know I can be trusted and can keep my mouth shut.

3. To protect my collection against theft.

He didn't say the names had to be made public, just that your name must be verifiable by a mod. to keep the shills out.

Actually FD, that isn't true.

Of all the message boards I've either frequented, or researched for work purposes, whether those be private or public, the only thing they have been able to enforce is a no free email policy to keep shills out. To force someone to register with their real name,and then be forced to display it publicly is not something I've seen or heard used before Steve's message.

Everyone knows who I am, and if you don't it wouldn't be hard to find that out by asking other board members about me. But to force someone to do it sounds a little unusual.

8 minutes after the post is written, Red Hook asks a simple yet important question.

But there is no response. Do we type up this long posts then jump in the car and take the rest of the day off into the weekend? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a Friday afternoon...when all bad/controversial news/statements are released..

8 minutes after the post is written, Red Hook asks a simple yet important question.

But there is no response. Do we type up this long posts then jump in the car and take the rest of the day off into the weekend? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a Friday afternoon...when all bad/controversial news/statements are released..

Well we're all waiting!

poke2.gif

popcorn.gif

Of all the message boards I've either frequented, or researched for work purposes, whether those be private or public, the only thing they have been able to enforce is a no free email policy to keep shills out. To force someone to register with their real name,and then be forced to display it publicly is not something I've seen or heard used before Steve's message.

Everyone knows who I am, and if you don't it wouldn't be hard to find that out by asking other board members about me. But to force someone to do it sounds a little unusual.

I don't think he wants people's real names to be revealed - just to register with real names. Most of the message boards I'm on require a name in your registration. There's no way to CHECK this name, so I'm sure shills would still come in, but its at least a small step. The Byrne Robotics board, for what its worth, does require real names.

I don't think he wants people's real names to be revealed - just to register with real names. Most of the message boards I'm on require a name in your registration. There's no way to CHECK this name, so I'm sure shills would still come in, but its at least a small step. The Byrne Robotics board, for what its worth, does require real names.

As does Millarworld (at least partial) and Warren Ellis' new forum The Engine (full first/last name).

At this point, I have no choice but to interpret the silence on the matter as confirmation of the many sources of this information I and others have received.

Red Hook

Please enlighten us simpletons(speaking for myself) ont this statement.

Steve has not confirmed or denied this, and you have confirmation from others who have witnessed this being performed?

Chris's pressing skills were definately available to 'select clients' as far back as last year's Chicago con.

I know this....because in a discussion with Steve at that convention, he had asked if I would like Chris to look at one of my books that had suffered from SCS.

This isn't really the same thing as a systematic, undercover, institutional method of operation whereby Chris pressed books for select clients, unless you're one of them!! 893whatthe.gif

As I posted in one of the other 100 threads on this issue, Steve said:

"Have I had discussions with clients (large and small) after their comics have been graded at cons and over the phone where THEY ASKED if pressing would help, of course, I talk to collector's and dealer's all day long about every issue this hobby can think of."

If Steve/Chris/PCS isn't going to fess up, I'd like to hear a first-hand account from somebody that has been through "the process"... frown.gif

Honestly, its been so long since I registerred here that I don't even remember if I supplied a first and last name. If it just asks for a username, password and email address (to send your login activation), then I don't have a problem with supplying a first and last name. I was under the impression that this new policy meant making your real name information publicly available, so just as my avatar now says comicwiz, it would say joseph fiore.

If we as collectors are supposedly on the same "level playing field" when submitting books to CGC as everyone else that submits, I would also like to see who from the upper food chain or big shots has benefited with a little "extra help".

Some concrete proof would be real nice juggle.gif

If Steve/Chris/PCS isn't going to fess up, I'd like to hear a first-hand account from somebody that has been through "the process"...

Here's the book in question after being re-holdered in Chicago:

URTTP-1DD158.jpg

If had accepted Steve's offer, the non color-breaking creases that Steve believed were caused by SCS would no longer be there( I've since cracked the book).

dd158bcx.jpg

If we as collectors are supposedly on the same "level playing field" when submitting books to CGC as everyone else that submits, I would also like to see who from the upper food chain or big shots has benefited with a little "extra help".

Some concrete proof would be real nice juggle.gif

Exactly! thumbsup2.gif

kinda surprising quiet has descended on this thread.... lots of well-known posters are still absent.... by design? Are the wheels actually in motion as we speak? As CGC said (dared?) they dont (wont) release data without a subpoena........ interesting?? or is everyone away today?