• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 3

2,686 posts in this topic

CGC needs to get this book back and label it restored. It is obviously trimmed. No "ifs" about it, sfilosa.

well, i'm no forensic scientist but considering that the stain and blue dot above the IND are identical, i BELIEVE it's the same book.

if you save the blue label PIC which is a pretty decent resolution already and blow it way up, that bottom edge "business" on the left corner seems to have been mostly trimmed away and is now absolutely straight.

if you move up to the spine edge directly opposite the fantasti-car lettering, there are two obvious stress lines in the heritage pic and they can't be seen in the blown-up blue label pic.

having said all that, it's possible that the blue label scan just isn't sufficiently sharp to bring out the detail that the Heritage scan could and things are actually the same. AND, it's a mystery to me how the book could have dropped in grade IF (note the emphasis here, please) the edge had been ever so slightly trimmed and the stress marks somehow pressed out.

and don't even get me started on the staple issue insane.gif

Nice looking book, BTW............. thumbsup2.gif

I bought this book as a CGC 8.5 from Jason Ewert/Tom Brulato. I have long relationships with both of these sellers, long before CGC. I also have long relationships with a lot of other sellers. I do not have the time to go back and research where the book comes from or what has been done to it. So obviously now I have to make a phone call since the CGC forum police obviously have a bug up their .

And lastly where was the email or phone call?

I bought this book as a CGC 8.5 from Jason Ewert/Tom Brulato. I have long relationships with both of these sellers, long before CGC. I also have long relationships with a lot of other sellers. I do not have the time to go back and research where the book comes from or what has been done to it. So obviously now I have to make a phone call since the CGC forum police obviously have a bug up their .

And lastly where was the email or phone call?

it doesn't look like the same book to me.

confused-smiley-013.gif

"We" can tell? Who exactly is "we". I've already sent a note to Tom and Steve.

As far as what other "speculation" you can attach to this book goes I'd rather you deal with facts.

I do not have to provide scans so that the "self elected comic forum police" may bless that the book is not trimmed.

No question, its the same book!!

As for trimming,...hm

If Bob would give a larger scan we could tell for sure.

While I know I will get flack for this, Bob doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to.

Me personally, I wouldn't. He bought a book with a Universal CGC label 8.5, and probably paid a reasonable sum for the book and has TRUSTED CGC to do their job.

If he does call up CGC and the people he got the book from, I think he's going above and beyond what most dealers / collectors would do.

Regarding the possible trimming (I'm not even concerned with the staple issue since I personally think that isn't restoration, a la the Qualified Label), I'm sure CGC has missed a few of these before. Of course we wish that would never happen, but since all books are in theory trimmed when manufactured, it's not perfectly scientific that you can tell with absolute assurance if it was done during manufacturing or later.

Good Luck Bob.

"We" can tell? Who exactly is "we". I've already sent a note to Tom and Steve.

As far as what other "speculation" you can attach to this book goes I'd rather you deal with facts.

I do not have to provide scans so that the "self elected comic forum police" may bless that the book is not trimmed.

Facts? [embarrassing lack of self control] facts. Innuendo and conspiracy theory are MUCH better.

First off, threads dedicated to books on my site with innuendo that maybe I replaced a staple or trimmed a book is something I take very seriously. And considering I was sold a book that has "some questions" associated it with it make my job selling books that much harder. For if somebody whispers that Bob may have done this to this FF #3 what else has he done?

So that being said I've sent my emails and will make some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the great Sunday morning!

First off, threads dedicated to books on my site with innuendo that maybe I replaced a staple or trimmed a book is something I take very seriously. And considering I was sold a book that has "some questions" associated it with it make my job selling books that much harder. For if somebody whispers that Bob may have done this to this FF #3 what else has he done?

So that being said I've sent my emails and will make some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the great Sunday morning!

I agree that this thread was unnecessary and that someone should have called you and given you the heads up instead of making a public scene. But having read this thread, I don't see where anyone has insinuated that you were the one who trimmed the book or even resubbed it. You may be a grouch, Bob, but everyone knows you're an honest grouch.

I don't think anyone here is implying you did anything. Instead of being angry at the posters in this thread, you should be thanking them for finding a book you got ripped off on. Now you can return it knowing it has been restored. You should be pissed at the sellers, not us. No one is obligated to call or e-mail you about anything that goes on here.

I'm surprised there are not more comments about this book. If it was a PGX graded book, everyone would be going crazy. If CGC can't detect trimming consistantly, then it should not be considered restoration (a la pressing), right? insane.gif

No question, its the same book!!

As for trimming,...hm

If Bob would give a larger scan we could tell for sure.

While I know I will get flack for this, Bob doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to.

Me personally, I wouldn't. He bought a book with a Universal CGC label 8.5, and probably paid a reasonable sum for the book and has TRUSTED CGC to do their job.

If he does call up CGC and the people he got the book from, I think he's going above and beyond what most dealers / collectors would do.

Regarding the possible trimming (I'm not even concerned with the staple issue since I personally think that isn't restoration, a la the Qualified Label), I'm sure CGC has missed a few of these before. Of course we wish that would never happen, but since all books are in theory trimmed when manufactured, it's not perfectly scientific that you can tell with absolute assurance if it was done during manufacturing or later.

Good Luck Bob.

So if you were Bob you would sell the book as an 8.5 unrestored, knowing full well it has been restored? Remind me never to buy anything from you.

I don't see where anyone has insinuated that you were the one who trimmed the book or even resubbed it. You may be a grouch, Bob, but everyone knows you're an honest grouch.

I agree, in fact I have mentioned Bob's site to many forum members.

His grading and service for me has been nothing but top notch. thumbsup2.gif

Better to be CGC Police than CGC Sheep, eh Bob?

Same book, 8.5 has been pressed. No big surprise. I'll look at the possible trim next. When are you guys gonna' learn? 8.5 on top. 9.0 on bottom.

2ffs.jpg

My opinon is that it is no big deal that the book looks like it was restored. The label is a blue label. And their are PLENTY of label chasers in this hobby. It should be absolutely no problem pawning this book off to somebody who loves the label. It is after all - A VERY NICE LOOKING LABEL. Vintage 2003 CGC I think.

8.5 has been pressed. No big surprise.

How do you know this? Do you have the book in front of you? Have you seen the book? Have you seen the pressing? The answer is NO to all of these questions. You're just trading on rumor and innuendo.

You're welcome to your opinion, and feel free to investigate the book.

Maybe it has been pressed. Maybe it has been trimmed. But to emphatically state these things as fact is just [embarrassing lack of self control].You don't know if the book has been altered and until you do, stop saying it has.

908160-test1.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Basically did the same thing.......

2ffbottom.jpg

Okay.....I'll be diplomatic. There "appears" to be less "image area" at the bottom of the "alleged" 8.5. Just making a comparison between 2 scans that were posted on the boards.

Good?