• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 3

2,686 posts in this topic

However, this "police" force seems to come in with "He's guilty because we say so".
Again I don't think anyone is saying YOUR guilty confused.gif

But what I got was that whether Bob performed the work or not, people were inferring that he's "guilty" for having the book on his site in the first place.

That was my issue, and apparently I was wrong and got bent out of shape for no reason. My apologies for getting everybody's panties in a wad. sorry.gif

Wow, someone please save this posting for future evidence!! poke2.gif

You know....even I think you guys are getting a little carried away.

I think you're the one getting carried away. A simple question was asked, and I answered - nothing more, but if you actually think the FBI is going to visit Bob, then screwy.gif

Joe, you have me confused with someone else. FBI? What are you talking about? confused-smiley-013.gif

You drinking too? gossip.gif

Joe, you have me confused with someone else. FBI? What are you talking about? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just you reading into my answer. I simply stated that there IS a way of finding out who submitted it, if needed, not that the gov't would descend on CGC HQ in black choppers.

If someone did perform some *work* on this book, then CGC definitely knows who submitted it the last time.

Yes, that would be right. thumbsup2.gif

And if you plug in the cert. # of the FF3 on Bob's site into the CGC search engine, you can find the other books that were submitted in the same order, by just advancing numerically forward and backward in sequence. I use this all the time for locating Green River pedigrees that haven't ever come up for auction. If I have the cert. # of one Green River, I've often found other GR submissions by using the technique described above.

And if you plug in the cert. # of the FF3 on Bob's site into the CGC search engine, you can find the other books that were submitted in the same order, by just advancing numerically forward and backward in sequence.

Interesting that the last book in the submission did come back "All three sides Trimmed".

It was a serious submission, but also interesting that one of the books was a Pacific Coast Daredevil #2 that came back CGC 9.4. That would make me believe that it was a resubmit also.

My guess (and this is just SPECULATION FOR THE FUN OF IT), was that most of this submission was for books that had been purchased (mostly likely already CGC'd) and then PRESSED.

Why are people still focusing on pressing when there`s a blatant case of undisclosed and undetected trimming here? This is much more bothersome to me. Much as I hate NDP, it ranks very low in the scale compared to trimming, which is the most extreme form of restoration because it can`t be reversed. And of course, unlike pressing, CGC very clearly DOES consider trimming to be restoration.

And how does a book get trimmed, presumably to clean up a deficient edge, and then get a LOWER grade? This whole situation is just bizarre. I don`t know whether to be more freaked out by CGC`s inability to detect trimming or their erratic grading. Is this the first example of Chris Friesen`s handiwork in his new job, restoring books in a way that HE KNOWS can`t be detected by CGC, except that some sharp-eyed individual here realized it was a book that had previously been sold and was therefore able to compare it to the "before" copy?

It was a serious submission, but also interesting that one of the books was a Pacific Coast Daredevil #2 that came back CGC 9.4. That would make me believe that it was a resubmit also.

Well, here's the PC Coast DD 2 9.4 0069982002

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=815&Lot_No=2405&src=pr#Photo tongue.gif

Why are people still focusing on pressing when there`s a blatant case of undisclosed and undetected trimming here? This is much more bothersome to me. Much as I hate NDP, it ranks very low in the scale compared to trimming, which is the most extreme form of restoration because it can`t be reversed. And of course, unlike pressing, CGC very clearly DOES consider trimming to be restoration.

And how does a book get trimmed, presumably to clean up a deficient edge, and then get a LOWER grade? This whole situation is just bizarre. I don`t know whether to be more freaked out by CGC`s inability to detect trimming or their erratic grading. Is this the first example of Chris Friesen`s handiwork in his new job, restoring books in a way that HE KNOWS can`t be detected by CGC, except that some sharp-eyed individual here realized it was a book that had previously been sold and was therefore able to compare it to the "before" copy?

personally, i think trimming is destruction, not restoration, but that's just me.

and as for your second paragraph... 893whatthe.gif

"bizarre" doesn't even begin to describe it

personally, i think trimming is destruction, not restoration, but that's just me.

Dude's. How about the fact the CGC can and does make mistakes.

Why are people still focusing on pressing when there`s a blatant case of undisclosed and undetected trimming here?

I'm not focusing on pressing as I totally agree that trimming is a serious issue.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if ALL the books in the SUBMISSION were RESUBMITS with them being pressed. I would be SHOCKED if anyone tried to trim the PC Daredevil #2 which was already a CGC 9.4. I could see someone pressing it and resubmitting it.

The plot thickens!!!

Dude's. How about the fact the CGC can and does make mistakes.

dude. never said they were infallible. never said they should be burnt at the stake, or sued, or any other of a myriad of things.

if (IF!) this book was trimmed, and it wasn't detected, that's worrisome to some. not saying never buy again, but just worrisome. you're allowed to think that CGC offers a heck of a lot to the collecting community and still be worried about a case or two or six or ten of missed resto detection. just ask whathisface at the company that shall not be named what a rep of missed resto detection is doing for his bidness

I think there are dealers out there getting bitten in the asss right now too. It's a very tricky time to be trafficking in high grade books. The temptation for someone, somewhere along the line to slip one by is great. Add to that the variance in grading and you can have a pretty confusing situtation.

Still much, much better than the pre CGC days. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, thank God they've gotten rid of the pissant overgraders and resto artists who were stealing hundreds to make room for the highly organized mercenaries who are playing the system to steal thousands!

tonofbricks.gif

somebody dig up before and after pics of the PC DD#4 and we'll see what was done if possible.

how many Pacific Coast Daredevil 2's were there?

There's that one on Heritage that sold in Feb and was a 9.4w and there's one on Pedigree that's a 9.8 ow-w.

how many others? anyone with the original PC list?

or is this too witchhuntlike

Why are people still focusing on pressing when there`s a blatant case of undisclosed and undetected trimming here?

I'm not focusing on pressing as I totally agree that trimming is a serious issue.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if ALL the books in the SUBMISSION were RESUBMITS with them being pressed. I would be SHOCKED if anyone tried to trim the PC Daredevil #2 which was already a CGC 9.4. I could see someone pressing it and resubmitting it.

The plot thickens!!!

Steve, enough with the pressing. Think outside the box for a minute. How about if all or most of the books in this submission were TRIMMED?

I`ll leave it for Brad to provide the next revelation, but perhaps you should ask your bud Doug about one of the books on his site which apparently came from the same submission and which also appears to be trimmed?