• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what the uproar is about.

CGC has been "toll collecting" for years now.

FMV walkthroughs were always a way to "share" in the owners windfall even though I've always questioned how a grading company knew what something would sell for. Always seemed like a conflict of interest.

CGC tried to share in the profitable pressing business because frankly there is more money made pressing than grading.

Since that one didn't fly they are trying another way to profit from pressing. Charge the upgraders for the notes that they need when they are on the fence trying to figure if a book is upgradeable. No overhead, pure profit, no more phone calls to the graders.

I respectfully disagree Bob.

It's not just pressers or crack, press, resub people calling for graders notes.

They had to be the catalyst for this change and why it became a problem for CGC...but certainly not all who called for graders notes.

I've called and it wasn't to see what upgrade potential a book has. I called to see if a book I am interested in buying had a detached centerfold, rusty staples, etc.

This change punishes the casual user.

+1

I was going to order for grader notes on 1 book just to see what they look like but was curious about security of credit card data. I signed in but when I came to the page to enter name, address, and credit card info I did not see https in the url like other websites that encrypt data. Should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid?

All I wanted to know is why the three books I submitted,

graded by 3+ graders, received almost identical grades?

mm

All I wanted to know is why the three books I submitted,

graded by 3+ graders, received almost identical grades?

mm

Maybe because they were all the same grade? (shrug)

Is charging for notes going to change anyone's behavior here? There's a lot of hand wringing and :frustrated: going on and I'm just curious if anybody plans to stop submitting books to CGC to try and get them to change course. I don't think complaining or simply not calling for notes is going to be enough to sway them. I think you'd have to stop submitting books and let them know that you've stopped submitting books specifically b/c you're protesting the new notes fees. So is anybody planning to stop giving CGC money?

I had my FLASH COMICS #104 and SUPERBOY #1 ready to

go...guess what? With the poor grades my BATMAN #47...

SUPERMAN #53...& MARVEL FAMILY #1 received and then

not being able to find out why without paying extra, I think I'll

let the Grading go for awhile at least.

mm

The decision for me was made long before this recent decision to charge a fee for graders notes.

That said, further to your point, I feel that it needs to go much further than boycotting their services.

It seems these boards are treated like their own private garden, where they can road test and gauge online temperatures and community response on poorly hatched plans or business changes.

I've held back numerous times from posting/responding to questions because I feel they need to start paying full freight for some of the insights and opinions being shared on these boards.

Businesses pay BIG fees for thinktank consulting. CGC's an all-grown-up-business now and needs to start doing the same.

No more free rides.

And if anyone here helps them with research on rarer stuff like I have in the past, make sure to start charging nosebleed toll rates.

I had my FLASH COMICS #104 and SUPERBOY #1 ready to

go...guess what? With the poor grades my BATMAN #47...

SUPERMAN #53...& MARVEL FAMILY #1 received and then

not being able to find out why without paying extra, I think I'll

let the Grading go for awhile at least.

mm

When you do finally have the books in hand, please show us the scans.

I think you are missing my point.

CGC just like the highway system wants to target the "heavy user" of this service. So they started charging a toll. Yes, casual users are impacted but this is a way to capture a piece of the pressing pie that they don't get now.

Want to save some money? Eventually you will see the Easy Note pass. Just like the State CGC wants to use your money. Swipe it at the CGC terminal and your grading notes are automatically sent to your smartphone.

Look at it another way.

People are paying for proscreens. CGC notes are information that when you are looking to upgrade a book are just as important as the visual.

I agree the price is high but I'm guessing that CGC took the Fair Market Value added information pricing model of pressing when coming up with the prices.

I think you are missing my point.

CGC just like the highway system wants to target the "heavy user" of this service. So they started charging a toll. Yes, casual users are impacted but this is a way to capture a piece of the pressing pie that they don't get now.

Eventually you will see the Easy Note pass. Swipe it at the CGC terminal and your grading notes are automatically sent to your smartphone.

Look at it another way.

People are paying for proscreens. CGC notes are information that when you are looking to upgrade a book are just as important as the visual.

I agree the price is high but I'm guessing that CGC took the Fair Market Value added information pricing model of pressing when coming up with the prices.

I see your point.

Interestingly, I can press one book for their price of one set of graders notes.

Curious Bob....did you call for graders notes before and will you be using this pay service now?

I very rarely called for graders notes unless it was a book I had a dispute with.

I have no intention of paying for this service.

Thanks. So what do you do now when you have a dispute with a grade?

I'm just curious because you are a professional dealer and if you feel a certain way...probably other dealers feel the same way.

Does anyone here support the new fee structure for grading notes?

I have read every post and haven't seen one yet.

What's the next step?

Do we call them (if so then who)?

Email them (if so then who)?

Stop sending in books (doubt that will happen on a noticeable level)?

Or just sit by and take the attitude that someone else will represent our view and :wishluck: that they will change their policy. A lot of people have an issue with this change but will you rock the boat or just wait for the next "improvement" at The CGC?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like to check notes for bigger ($1000+) purchases (because that is a lot of money to me) to make sure that certain defects that I wish to avoid are not present on the book before I receive it in hand. I know it was a free service for 12 years and if there is now a charge then so be it but I will not pay $15 to $30 for such a simple request.

Does anyone here support the new fee structure for grading notes?

I have read every post and haven't seen one yet.

What's the next step?

Do we call them (if so then who)?

Email them (if so then who)?

Stop sending in books (doubt that will happen on a noticeable level)?

Or just sit by and take the attitude that someone else will represent our view and :wishluck: that they will change their policy. A lot of people have an issue with this change but will you rock the boat or just wait for the next "improvement" at The CGC?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like to check notes for bigger ($1000+) purchases (because that is a lot of money to me) to make sure that certain defects that I wish to avoid are not present on the book before I receive it in hand. I know it was a free service for 12 years and if there is now a charge then so be it but I will not pay $15 to $30 for such a simple request.

Somethings gotta give. I know I won't pay for it, so if it's a book I really need to have, the only way the sale will happen is if the seller picks up the cost. I suppose if enough people employ this method, dealers will be the first to complain en masse.

If you want a seller to pick up the cost of grading notes than I hope you are not expecting a big discount. And I hope you are upfront in telling the seller this when you are negotiating the purchase.

It's not my fault CGC is charging for this service.