• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

And as a dealer how do I track sales that don't happen that gives me a valid argument to call CGC and start "discussing" that this is costing me money?

Just because somebody says they won't buy something?

The way to influence a business decision is with facts, not emotion.

And as a dealer how do I track sales that don't happen that gives me a valid argument to call CGC and start "discussing" that this is costing me money?

Take that type of inquiry (graders notes request) to email, and ask each person to extend you the courtesy of notifying you of their decision upon receiving the notes, with an explanation if they decide to pass.

I'm still parsing the opinions offered by Bedrock and a few other legal minds in this thread.

Recently a US based box store (Target) started buying out Zellers stores in Canada. Certain Zellers stores sub-lease to Pharmacists, and during the time the Target buyout occurred, when Target declined to offer what Zellers was asking for patient records, it decided to sell these records to Metro and Loblaw (two large Canadian grocers).

Zellers decision to sell patient records angered the Pharmacists who believed they had final say on what happened with the patient records, and they had pretty strong grounds of how this act invaded patient/client privilege, not to mention how the decision to sell patients records infringed on privacy rights (i.e. privacy act).

The courts recently sided with Zellers, so that means anyone who filled out their prescriptions will likely be solicited by a wide-range of companies in the medical industry, who now can target these customers via patient history, medicinal uses, etc.

I understand how CPR was able to use submissions and their grading history to make money, but the thing that keeps running through my mind, especially in light of what's happened with Zellers, what other things are company's doing with customer information to generate revenue streams?

Back in 2003 how did dealers convince CGC the "minus" sign was a "negative" for sales, or that label notes hurt sales?

Or was that just company spin, so dealers took the fallout over their label changes?

No offense but this makes no sense.

I do not capture "customer sentiment" or decision when they come into my website to look at a book and decide not to buy.

How do I identify the guy who doesn't even let me know that he is looking but won't anymore because he always called for notes? Except for Chris I wouldn't even know that.

Since customers didn't ask me for graders notes before why would I be the contact now?

A you assuming that the transaction path is -

1). Customer looks at the book

2). Customer likes the book but wants to know if it internally has any hidden defects he doesn't like

3). Customer doesn't want to pay for notes

4). Customer calls or emails dealer stating that in order to buy the book he/she needs the notes

5). If the Dealer agrees to pay for the notes the transaction doesn't resume until the notes are received

6). Customer gets the notes and 2 days later may decide to buy the book

Can you see the potential for customer service issues as far as the dealer goes?

1). Dealer doesn't want to pay, customer is basically holding the book over his head unless he does.

2). Transaction is held up until notes are received.

3). When is the price of the book negotiated? Before or after this request? And if I state that I'm paying for grading notes do you think that dealers will be more negotiable on their discounts? Doubtful and there will be more threads complaining that dealers don't discount as much as they used to.

I do not capture "customer sentiment" or decision when they come into my website to look at a book and decide not to buy.

Buyers never needed to when they could call the notes. Now that notes have a cost associated to them, I expect the level of buyer/dealer interaction to rise exponentially on this matter.

Buyers never needed to when they could call the notes. Now that notes have a cost associated to them, I expect the level of buyer/dealer interaction to rise on this matter exponentially.

+1

Especially and most importantly on big ticket books

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet...but has anyone paid

for the Grader Notes?

mm

Yes. There are a few people in the thread that tried it out.

Oh look. This thread is still going.

At what point do we determine that the horse is dead and stop beating it?

Let me clear up this myth.

Label changes were made by CGC without a lot of input from dealers. If somebody tells you different I would like to see that memo I didn't get. I never consider a NM- label to be negative. I still use alpha grades on my raw books and it doesn't stop people from ordering raw books from me.

Jay Perrino of "The Mint" who was a big buyer of CGC books complained about label notes. If you spend the most money you can influence how CGC operates. Label notes would NOT BE A PROBLEM IF CGC CLEARLY STATED THAT THE LABEL NOTES ARE REFLECTED IN THE GRADE. Not publishing grading standards also supports the problem with notes because everybody feels different about a certain defect. Some accept it, some downgrade it. Therefore you see a 9.2 with a arrival date and you buy it or you see a 9.2 with a date stamp and go "I wouldn't grade that more than a 9.0".

In CGC's defense after the above label change the only time future label changes were considered is when Steve Borock was considering a label change for restored books. Based on feedback it wasn't implemented.

And what did the notes do?

Confirm the grade?

Identify an upgrade candidate?

Identify a perk you don't like?

Bob, with comics, you can't base the decision strictly on what's happening on the front and back cover alone. Whatever the reason CGC decided not to continue noting defects like rusty staples on the label, the notes are the only option left to know what's happening inside the comic.

I'll say it again, as is the CGC label isn't a standalone selling tool. Period.

And what did the notes do?

Confirm the grade?

Identify an upgrade candidate?

Identify a perk you don't like?

They identified or informed me of certain defects that were present. I'm not big on detached centerfolds, stapes, covers etc.

Copyrights?...has anyone ever asked permission from the

publishers to scan all the comic book covers shown on this

site?

mm

We are indeed in violation of copyright. Amazon.com is as well by showing book covers, album covers, etc etc etc for products on their site. What company would sue its customers using their copyrighted content in the exact way they're intended to be used? None in their right mind.--it'd be like preventing STDs by cutting off your wanker. :blush:

Because I also collect as well as buy and sell comics I can sympathize.

There are many defects that won't show up on a label or the exterior cover that serious buyers will want to know...

Brittleness? where is it outer edges or spine?

Detached centrefolds.

Rust

Stains

Missing pieces and rips inside the book

On restored books, where is the resto? Ct, glue, pieces added.

Siamesed pages (people who crack their books out and want to read them)

When the book was graded

Pressable defects (there, I said it)

etc, etc.

What making the grading notes less accessible is going to do is add ammunition to those that believe comics are for reading and that CGC is turning comics into commodities.

I can't speak for whether they do or do not care (well, I would say that most employees do as they are good people) but I can tell you that you can care and also remain profitable. Only being concerned about the dollars is short lived.

That is the secret behind the lasting success of any business beyond just a stone's throw.

I agree. I'm just spit balling that their actions indicate they don't particularly care about the role you identified for them.

None of these changes they're making seem to be aiding in that role. Hence my speculation that they aren't particularly concerned about filling that role.