• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Dear Popcorn machine maker person (observance of workplace equity in full effect), if you are reading this.

We have performed the requisite research and have our first case subject revealing brain cavity decay relating to the over consumption of popcorn.

Please pull the plug on the Popcorn maker.

smiley-eatdrink022.gif

Porridge?

Dear Popcorn machine maker person (observance of workplace equity in full effect), if you are reading this.

We have performed the requisite research and have our first case subject revealing brain cavity decay relating to the over consumption of popcorn.

smiley-eatdrink022.gif

Porridge?

Stew. Sick of popcorn.

smiley-eatdrink022.gif

Porridge?

Stew. Sick of popcorn.

Nice choice. I'm going with food you can eat with a pitchfork.

We need more pitchorks and torches in this thread.

A mob to carry them couldn't hurt. :sumo:

There's no way Disney would've given them permission. Here's an image from the episode, "The Ring" Season 13 Episode 1:

2411723.jpg

I saw that one--I remember that Mickey Mouse-lookalike being extremely sinister and violent--but my memory is escaping me as to what it was about or what Disney trademarks were in it--I'll look it up. I do know that Matt and Trey are VERY knowledgeable about what they can get away with and what they can't and make a career out of skirting that line, so perhaps they danced around the trademark line as closely as they could get. hm

There's no way Disney would've given them permission. Here's an image from the episode, "The Ring" Season 13 Episode 1:

2411723.jpg

I saw that one--I remember that Mickey Mouse-lookalike being extremely sinister and violent--but my memory is escaping me as to what it was about or what Disney trademarks were in it--I'll look it up. I do know that Matt and Trey are VERY knowledgeable about what they can get away with and what they can't and make a career out of skirting that line, so perhaps they danced around the trademark line as closely as they could get. hm

It's been a month or two since I saw it most recent. Can't recall if they ever called him "Mickey" or not (probably not). I think they called the "the Boss".

However, it's unmistakable (obviously) who it is. The best thing was the voice. When he talked, he always added that little Mickey laugh to the end of his speech. "You better do what I say, Jonas Brothers, of else I'm going to eff you up. Haha." Or something along those lines. It was pretty hilarious.

On the contrary. If tomorrow eBay decided it no longer would allow CGC graded books to be sold on its site because it failed to meet the eligibility criteria required of a 3rd-party authentication company, CGC would be very concerned.

Ifs and butts and all. This discussion about charging for notes or who the notes belong to and ebay dumping CGC is a gigantic leap.

This is what Roy said: "Don't get me wrong, I love CGC and think they are invaluable in the marketplace but CGC has somehow lost sight of it's role in the marketplace as a facilitator of online transactions."

Now this is just my opinion but I think CGC is spending about as much time thinking about this role of theirs as transaction facilitator as a professional athlete about to smoke dope is thinking about his role as a role model.

For CGC this is about convenience and revenue stream.

On the contrary. If tomorrow eBay decided it no longer would allow CGC graded books to be sold on its site because it failed to meet the eligibility criteria required of a 3rd-party authentication company, CGC would be very concerned.

Ifs and butts and all. This discussion about charging for notes or who the notes belong to and ebay dumping CGC is a gigantic leap.

Maybe, but did you happen to catch that thread about eBay's recent mandate requiring coins be graded.

I'm just saying that it isn't that simple to say just because CGC's shown their grabby side that they don't care about their role as facilitator a person-to-person trading community. If the comic hobby is next to follow eBay's pecking order, they're going to care deeply.

It's been a month or two since I saw it most recent. Can't recall if they ever called him "Mickey" or not (probably not). I think they called the "the Boss".

However, it's unmistakable (obviously) who it is. The best thing was the voice. When he talked, he always added that little Mickey laugh to the end of his speech. "You better do what I say, Jonas Brothers, of else I'm going to eff you up. Haha." Or something along those lines. It was pretty hilarious.

I remember that one now--it's the one where Kenny was ecstatic that he got a slutty girl to go out with him, she took him to a Jonas Brothers concert, and the Jonas Brothers convinced her to have them both wear purity rings and swear an oath of celibacy--hilarious. lol

I'm not sure how different from the real Mickey this character was either--could have been just enough to not infringe the trademark. He's certainly not acting like Mickey and not wearing the same clothes, maybe there are other subtle differences the lawyers had them bake in as well. That, or the maybe fair use allows more latitude when it comes to social parody--and there's no denying that South Park engages frequently in social parody. You can't parody something or someone in a visual medium if you can't show SOMETHING that reminds you in some way of them. (shrug)hm

This is a huge tangent to the thread--I'm still not seeing how copyright or trademark law applies to anything related to grader's notes. Copyrights are to protect original works of art--nothing that CGC's customers send them is an original work of art they have any copyright protection on, and CGC's notes themselves are so factual and unoriginal that CGC has no copyright protection on the notes--they're essentially data, which courts have upheld is not copyrightable. If someone can suggest any way copyright law can apply here, please speak up, because I'm not seeing it. (shrug)

Having said that, I'm still up for the tangent--obviously I'm fascinated by copyright law. Always good to know what you can and can't steal as a web developer. :popcorn:

Because I also collect as well as buy and sell comics I can sympathize.

There are many defects that won't show up on a label or the exterior cover that serious buyers will want to know...

Brittleness? where is it outer edges or spine?

Detached centrefolds.

Rust

Stains

Missing pieces and rips inside the book

On restored books, where is the resto? Ct, glue, pieces added.

Siamesed pages (people who crack their books out and want to read them)

When the book was graded

Pressable defects (there, I said it)

etc, etc.

What making the grading notes less accessible is going to do is add ammunition to those that believe comics are for reading and that CGC is turning comics into commodities.

Come on Roy we all know the main reason you are mad is that CGC took away your FREE grading notes priveleges and it is not because you are a collector. :baiting:

No more seeing for free if you can upgrade your book to a bindery tear. :jokealert:

The main obvious reason why CGC received most of their phone calls on graders notes is people wanted to know if the book is upgrade-able or un-restorable.

Come on guys keep it real would yea.......

BTW: CGC still notates center folds being detached and for the most part a book will be noted with a green label if the book is missing a page. What else do you guys wants them to do on restored books? Do you want them to note to the exact inch where the glue, brittle pages, or color touch is located. Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Thanks god it is Friday!

Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Bring a bottle of wine signed by Stan Lee and I might warm up to the idea a little more (thumbs u

I always assumed people called for upgrade pontential. I rarely sell books but the the one time I called in the last ten years, was to see if I should press a book before putting it on the market. :sorry:

Jim

I've called for notes maybe 10-15 times over the years. Never once was it about upgrade potential. (shrug)

Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Bring a bottle of wine signed by Stan Lee and I might warm up to the idea a little more (thumbs u

Can I bring some Vodka? :shy:

BTW: CGC still notates center folds being detached and for the most part a book will be noted with a green label if the book is missing a page. What else do you guys wants them to do on restored books? Do you want them to note to the exact inch where the glue, brittle pages, or color touch is located. Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Thanks god it is Friday!

No they don't

I bought a ST from tortoise and he disclosed the detached centerfold but the label did NOT indicate it was detached.

I always assumed people called for upgrade pontential. I rarely sell books but the the one time I called in the last ten years, was to see if I should press a book before putting it on the market. :sorry:

Jim

I've called for notes maybe 10-15 times over the years. Never once was it about upgrade potential. (shrug)

Right, but again most collectors who buy CGC books will never call to obtain graders notes. Mainly the ones that do are looking to upgrade or make money on such FREE information. I would guess a lot of comic book collectors do not even know they used to have that right to obtain such FREE information, so now they are marketing such information to people for what they may think is the first time CGC has ever offered this kind of information.

Maybe Joe Smith is a new collector in Willow Grove, PA who doesn't come on the CGC boards or hang out at conventions maybe did not know he was allowed to call up to obtain grader's notes prior to CGC sending out this new marketing campaign. So for him this is a new service available for a price.

Like I said CGC's pricing structure is way over the top, and one would have to assume they will be lowering it in the future. However people need to get over the fact that CGC is trying to make more money here. That is their job as a LLC is too finds new ways to make money.

Do I agree with it? Not really, but you can't fault them for trying.

CGC is a business to which they are trying to make money. So it is up to you the customer by your actions whether this new money maker will make them a lot of free money or being a complete flop.