• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I'm up because this is the time I typically get up to go to work. You're up because you're full of mess, Mr. Show Stopper.

Can't wait to give you a hug in WW Philly. :hi:

If you approach me physically at the show, a hug will be $5.00.

If I have to walk over to you at the show, a hug will be $10.00.

If you come by my hotel, it will be $25.00 per hug.

If I have to come by your hotel, it will be $35.00 per hug.

Any hugs after show hours, outside of a hotel setting, will be $50.00.

For each additional five second interval you hug me, it will be an additional $5.00.

hm Does that go for everyone?

:wishluck:

I think my hug would cost a bit more.

:cry:

I would imagine that the vast majority of books with notes are golden age and silver age.

I went through 50 of my 9.8 moderns last night and found that 39 of them had grader notes, 11 had none. It was very tempting to find out the notes on one of them to see what the difference was, but I passed.

Although I am now leaning on only cracking blue label 9.8 w/o grader notes for SS ops.

I would imagine that the vast majority of books with notes are golden age and silver age. Let's say for illustrative purposes the average cost of grading gold and silver comics is $50 per book. And let's say someone submits 500 books per year. That amounts to $25000 per year in grading fees paid to The CGC. Let's then guess that those 500 submission generate 50 requests for notes at $15 per request. That $750. 100 requests - $1500. If each book were to get a request - $7500. What if the submitter put one book up for sale on his or her web-site and that listing generated multiple request for notes. Five requests means The CGC makes more off the notes then they do off the original grading fees. That's a ton of money created for The CGC by a comic which is not owned by The CGC and from information which The CGC was paid to provide.

Well said :golfclap:

I'm up because this is the time I typically get up to go to work. You're up because you're full of mess, Mr. Show Stopper.

For each additional five second interval you hug me, it will be an additional $5.00.

I think my hug would cost a bit more.

:cry:

.....how much for the whole night :baiting: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes that's what I meant.

But it's been over a year.....

"Posted on 3/24/2011

Mark Haspel is taking a leave of absense to take care of some personal issues.

Mark Haspel, president of CGC Comics has announced he will be taking a leave of absence but will be rejoining the company within a year. Haspel will be taking the time off for personal reasons and looks forward to returning to the company. Mark will continue to work with CGC as a consultant during his leave."

He'll be back as soon as he's sold all the stuff he's not allowed to sell as a CGC employee hm

Oh, I'm pretty sure Haspel is well aware of what's going on and Borock doesn't give a mess.

I thought his leave was temporary?

I liked him.

Haspel's is temporary. Borock's gone for good.

Are you sure Borock's not still a CGC consultant or something? Because this latest cash grab/scam seems like something he'd cook up hm

Yes that's what I meant.

But it's been over a year.....

"Posted on 3/24/2011

Mark Haspel is taking a leave of absense to take care of some personal issues.

Mark Haspel, president of CGC Comics has announced he will be taking a leave of absence but will be rejoining the company within a year. Haspel will be taking the time off for personal reasons and looks forward to returning to the company. Mark will continue to work with CGC as a consultant during his leave."

He'll be back as soon as he's sold all the stuff he's not allowed to sell as a CGC employee hm

.....actually, the truth is that Mark got Supergirl's phone number at a recent San Diego Con and decided to take a break from grading books....a long, long break. GOD BLESS...

Oh, I'm pretty sure Haspel is well aware of what's going on and Borock doesn't give a mess.

I liked him.

Are you sure Borock's not still a CGC consultant or something? Because this latest cash grab/scam seems like something he'd cook up hm

How blissful your life must be.

I liked him.

It'd be better if CGC actually ever tried to help the hobby instead of squeezing every nickel and dime possible out of it. But I wouldn't expect you to understand, that's your job too.

It'd be better if CGC actually ever tried to help the hobby instead of squeezing every nickel and dime possible out of it. But I wouldn't expect you to understand, that's your job too.

Whoa bud. Careful - regardless of how one makes a living Joe is a long-standing and well respected member of this community and your punk-a-s-s comments are not welcome.

This may sound petty, but I do have a problem with The CGC making additional money off of others for notes related to a book I sent in and paid to have graded. It's not what I feel I agreed to when I submitted the book in the first place. I paid to have a book graded. End of story. If I knew that I was also sending books in to create a pile of information that could be sold at a later date for X amount of dollars I would certainly have to take that into consideration.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because for years I've banged on the OSPG usage drum and it has mostly been fuel for rants or a much larger area of discord over CGC's services.

More specifically, that CGC's service includes elements that borrow from the Bob Overstreet/Gemtstone body of research.

With this recent decision to monetize on graders notes, which amounts to analysis/research enabled through material submissions from a captive customer base, I have to think its open season for CGC to start paying a fee every time they grade a book that notes 1st appearances, the artist/writer, character appearances, cameo's, and any/all data that is used/referenced from the Overstreet Price Guide.

The cab's rolled up to the front door and the meters running. 2c

Whoa bud. Careful - regardless of how one makes a living Joe is a long-standing and well respected member of this community and your punk-a-s-s comments are not welcome.

Sorry, I don't respect someone (anyone) who makes money pressing comics.

Uh-Oh :slapfight:

They should print the graders notes on the microchamber paper inserts. It will be like a fortune cookie and you only find out when you crack it open

:signfunny: .....actually, the only reason I use grader's notes is to find out if the inside covers are tanned or have tape.....so the notes on the microchamber would be redudant for me. I could understand the problem with providing them for free.....there was already enough activity for them to limit the number of inquiries per day. I do think $ 15 is a little steep......$ 4 set up like those paid phone calls in the back of certain magazines would be much better. At 15 bucks, I'm not sure how much revenue will be generated. GOD BLESS....

P.S. Many GA and early SA books have covers that are white on the outside and tan on the inside. Though not necessarily a deal breaker, I do like to know.

You may not agree with pressing comic books, and that`s your prerogative, but to not respect someone because of that is a little over the top.

When there`s a demand for something, businesses usually spring up in those areas. Right now, there is an overwhelming demand for comic book pressing. So new ventures are created to cater to some of that demand. That`s just how it is. You may not like it, and that`s fine, but now you don`t respect someone on a personal level because they`re involved in the trade.... ???

What about me....I`ve had books pressed over the years. Am I to assume that you no longer have any respect for me now, even though we`ve never met.... ???

No, these introductory rates are only good for Philadelphia.

As of today, the turn around time for a hug is six months. You can reserve a hug for Philadelphia via email with a prepaid, non-refundable deposit. Once paid, you should receive a confirmation in 24 hours... or whenever I get around to sending one out. In all honesty, it's meant as a determent to being hugged. If anyone really wants a hug, at least they will be paying for it.

Well, if the hugs aren`t sincere, I think I`ll just pass. :foryou:

I am sure I will lose some sleep over not having you as a friend.