• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I'm up because this is the time I typically get up to go to work. You're up because you're full of mess, Mr. Show Stopper.

Can't wait to give you a hug in WW Philly. :hi:

If you approach me physically at the show, a hug will be $5.00.

If I have to walk over to you at the show, a hug will be $10.00.

If you come by my hotel, it will be $25.00 per hug.

If I have to come by your hotel, it will be $35.00 per hug.

Any hugs after show hours, outside of a hotel setting, will be $50.00.

For each additional five second interval you hug me, it will be an additional $5.00.

What about a discounted membership fee for the year? (shrug)

$39.99 annually for unlimited Doc hugs.

I'll give you the first hug free in Philly.

Why don't you go undermine someone else's business? :sumo:

As someone who de-slabs every CGC-graded book I buy to read and add to my collection (thereby reducing its liquidity) ....

- My goal is to minimize the risk of buying a book that has flaws that bother me, and ideally want to avoid de-slabbing a book, finding a flaw that bothers me and then either having to sell it raw (most likely at a loss) or pay to have it re-slabbed.

- When graders' notes are available, they've often been vary valuable in alerting me to detached or rusty staples, stains, smudges and other defects that would keep me from buying a book if I were looking at a raw copy ....

Pretty much my pattern, also.

I'm up because this is the time I typically get up to go to work. You're up because you're full of mess, Mr. Show Stopper.

For each additional five second interval you hug me, it will be an additional $5.00.

Why don't you go undermine someone else's business? :sumo:

:eek: With all this overzealous hugging going on it sounds like a Cap and Trade bill is needed...

CaptainAmericacologne2.jpg

we can trot out all manner of analogy, but IMO they don't apply here.

Yea, most presented here apply. Charging your customer or your customer's customer a second time at an exorbitant rate for something you've already been paid to do is douchey--end of discussion. People try to do it in lots of industries, and it's a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move in ALL of them. :eyeroll: If their intent was really to discourage, slow, or put a stop to graders wasting time giving out notes on the phone, there are ways to do that which won't off 98% of your customers--which is exactly what this move does. :mad:

Are you coming this year?

:whee:

Are you coming this year?

:whee:

:facepalm:

The Certified product is built entirely on the premise of raising Buyer Confidence during a transaction.

This move undermines that, as have several of CGC's decisions in the last decade. (Removal of notes from the label, the whole SCS/poorly designed inner well debacle, etc.)

At some point, if you don't have buyers willing to pay a premium for your product, you won't have seller's who feel the need to get comics slabbed. The premiums for many of the grade tiers have already eroded (9.2s, 9.4s, and some 9.6s selling for right around Guide) due to a steady increase of supply the last few years. I already have a bunch of nice books that I could sell raw OR slabbed for $50 when the slabbed copy would've paid for itself 5 years ago. Now there is no point in submitting them.

Oh well, at least turnaround times will be better. (shrug)

It's called greed. Plain and simple. Surcharge here, extra charge there, etc., etc. Until a legitimate company arises that can compete on the same playing field, we will all continue to be a slave to the monopoly. It's the only show in town folks, enjoy the performance.

Forgive my ignorance, but they are charging for grader's notes for the submitter only, correct?

That being said, couldn't one theoretically submit their books; wait a week until they come back and then call CGC proclaiming to be a proposed buyer of the said book(s) and ask for the notes of the books in question...or are they not going to allow phone calls either?

I do know that AFA (Action Figure Authority) charges for a print out (meaning a physical copy) of grader's notes on action figures (to my knowledge; I could be wrong). That would be the only other company that I know of that charges for this.

Personally, I would have to learn more. I buy already 'slabbed' books and I do call to get the notes for books I buy or am considering. That being said, this would not affect me as much as true submitters; but I do see both sides of the issue.

Respectfully,

'mint'

It's called greed. Plain and simple. Surcharge here, extra charge there, etc., etc. Until a legitimate company arises that can compete on the same playing field, we will all continue to be a slave to the monopoly. It's the only show in town folks, enjoy the performance.

I don't think CGC is trying to be greedy or even make money here. I just think they are simply trying to discourage queries on grader's notes.

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

Well, it's already happened. I'd bid on this to win if I knew the top staple was attached, but not going to pay $30 for that information. :screwy:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121218&lotNo=10337&lotIdNo=1003

To add, the fact that you took a swipe at other honest and well respected board members, including Joey in this case,

meh

Speak your mind or forever hold your peace.

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

Well, it's already happened. I'd bid on this to win if I knew the top staple was attached, but not going to pay $30 for that information. :screwy:

What a gorgeous book, though.

Glad I have a copy.

Wow. This sucks.

Assuming CGC continues with this course of action, I can see Heritage at some point integrating a complimentary Grader's Notes lookup feature, at least during their Signature auctions. I can see them negotiating a reasonable flat fee for the privilege, which would serve to differentiate themselves from their competitors even more and hopefully keep their bidding pool strong.

Or am I being too optimistic here?

I don't think CGC is trying to be greedy or even make money here. I just think they are simply trying to discourage queries on grader's notes.

If there wasn't a motivation to make money, then why not simply say no more Grader's Notes? That would eliminate all queries.

Wow. This sucks.

Assuming CGC continues with this course of action, I can see Heritage at some point integrating a complimentary Grader's Notes lookup feature, at least during their Signature auctions. I can see them negotiating a reasonable flat fee for the privilege, which would serve to differentiate themselves from their competitors even more and hopefully keep their bidding pool strong.

Or am I being too optimistic here?

Honestly, the grading notes probably discourage people from bidding more than they encourage it.

Has anyone used this? I'm more than happy to pay for the service, but only if it's worth it. The notes better be rich to be worth the price.

There should be a grader notes lookup for free just like there is a

Certification Lookup for free. Common sense. I bet in the future that will happen. There will be a lot of moaning and groaning,but it will be free to lookup within 5 years. ;)