• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a hard decision

47 posts in this topic

I don't understand the whole TV / Film personality photo op thing... my recent experience of a convention where it's also everything Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Star Wars etc etc etc was that it just made the lines for the really popular comic creators so long that you were lucky to see two of them on the day before their panels or interviews started.

Really glad that there are several reasonably sized actual "comic" conventions in the UK that have virtually bugger all to do with other media unless it's to do with concept artists.

http://nicecon.co.uk/guests/

http://thoughtbubblefestival.com/guests/

http://www.comicartfestival.com/guests-of-honour-2/

Alright, I'll explain.

I had VIP tix for Fan Expo Dallas ($300) and bought 7 ops ($460) and I was exited for that show. Same goes with frightmare. Last week I went to see Haim and Vampire Weekend at Stubbs in Austin and I completely loved the scene there, and sixth street.

I came to realize that last year I missed way too many events I wanted to go because of Comic Cons. Just last year, I bought 56 professional photo ops at 5 events and several autographs, same goes with modern comics since my pull box usually has 10 issues per week (sometimes more).

Having already met many people I wanted to meet, I now don't really think I want to go to Comic Events anymore. With the money I was going to use for Fan Expo and frightmare I'm going to LA for two concerts there, and with the money I was going to use for Wizard Austin I'll buy tickets for Austin City Limits and the Formula 1 Grand Prix since I went to the inaugural one but had to skip last year's race.

In other words, I just completely lost interest on Conventions, had a great time at concerts and sports events and since I'm going to college this fall then I will probably be really busy to be reading comics and going to conventions.

I might go back to the shows as soon as I graduate (2020). It was a fun ride.

Why not just stop going to conventions? I just graduated college in 2012 and am still in grad school now. I've been to one con since I started reading. I might or might not go back this year, but I'm still reading for the joy of reading. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than going to conventions :gossip: . And I love going to concerts, so there is money for both.

Good post. It's all about balance. I go to one show a year and usually pick up a certain amount of books per year based on budget.

You can have it all... it just takes more time!

After hard deliberation I've decided to respond to the OP about ....um....stuff...

...naw, I've lost interest....

I'm getting burned out on comics right now. I know I'm never going to truly leave, but I've cut my spending down to about $200 per year, and plan on getting it down to about $150. I spend less time reading comics lately. Priorities change, but I have a feeling after some non hobby related goals are met I'll have a stack of longboxes I don't know what to do with once again.

I honestly don't know. I want to use the money I used to spend on comics to buy equipment for my drum set. Need to replace the 2 Zildjian A customs I broke lol.

I made a similar decision a few months ago. More comics or a new Tele...I chose the guitar. lol

Alright, I'll explain.

I had VIP tix for Fan Expo Dallas ($300) and bought 7 ops ($460) and I was exited for that show. Same goes with frightmare. Last week I went to see Haim and Vampire Weekend at Stubbs in Austin and I completely loved the scene there, and sixth street.

I came to realize that last year I missed way too many events I wanted to go because of Comic Cons. Just last year, I bought 56 professional photo ops at 5 events and several autographs, same goes with modern comics since my pull box usually has 10 issues per week (sometimes more).

Having already met many people I wanted to meet, I now don't really think I want to go to Comic Events anymore. With the money I was going to use for Fan Expo and frightmare I'm going to LA for two concerts there, and with the money I was going to use for Wizard Austin I'll buy tickets for Austin City Limits and the Formula 1 Grand Prix since I went to the inaugural one but had to skip last year's race.

In other words, I just completely lost interest on Conventions, had a great time at concerts and sports events and since I'm going to college this fall then I will probably be really busy to be reading comics and going to conventions.

I might go back to the shows as soon as I graduate (2020). It was a fun ride.

Why not just stop going to conventions? I just graduated college in 2012 and am still in grad school now. I've been to one con since I started reading. I might or might not go back this year, but I'm still reading for the joy of reading. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than going to conventions :gossip: . And I love going to concerts, so there is money for both.

Yeah, or just stop going the VIP route. You can spend way less than that if you just pay general admission and keep a few bucks on your for doing stuff. I have never done the VIP thing, but it doesn't seem worth the money to me because you can only visit one thing at a time. Me, I spend so much time buying books that I scarely have time to meet artists.

Kinda moot if you don't tell us why...
Or, some of will still be able to carry on without knowing.

Are you sure you'll be able to sleep tonight????????????

I haven't had a chance to try after hearing this disturbing news. I'll report back tomorrow unless my napping window opens.

It's always good to step back and evaluate what you are doing every once in a while. If you are going to get more enjoyment out of concerts and other things why would you keep spending money on something you've lost interest in?

Have fun with your new hobbies! (thumbs u

Kinda moot if you don't tell us why...
Or, some of will still be able to carry on without knowing.

Are you sure you'll be able to sleep tonight????????????

I haven't had a chance to try after hearing this disturbing news. I'll report back tomorrow unless my napping window opens.

I'm a bit concerned. Might need some Nyquil.