• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay to force non-store sellers to use auctions instead of fixed-price listings.

123 posts in this topic

Also I noticed many top-notch sellers stopped using eBay in last few years included WWComics.com and others.

I think IRS wanted money from any eBay sellers who make over $20,000 or 200 transactions a year. That may be the reason of the declining sales on eBay.

I was extremely disappointed that I sold my prized Swamp Thing #1 CGC 9.6 White Pages for only $368 instead of $500+. That was an auction sale. Never again. Co-signers are much safer than this auction company.

Couldn't you just set a reserve and stop that from happening? Is there an extra fee to list a reserve or if your item doesn't sell because of a reserve? That how I listed everything in the early days, but I just use OBO's for almost everything now.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing a store if you are going to be listing the same thing over and over and over again.

Monthly store fees.

It's the price of doing business, if that's how you chose to do it. I guess I started early with eBay, so I was used to auctions.

Also if I had to relist something a dozen times, I'd either just lower the price, or put it in an auction.

Also I noticed many top-notch sellers stopped using eBay in last few years included WWComics.com and others.

I think IRS wanted money from any eBay sellers who make over $20,000 or 200 transactions a year. That may be the reason of the declining sales on eBay.

I was extremely disappointed that I sold my prized Swamp Thing #1 CGC 9.6 White Pages for only $368 instead of $500+. That was an auction sale. Never again. Co-signers are much safer than this auction company.

Couldn't you just set a reserve and stop that from happening? Is there an extra fee to list a reserve or if your item doesn't sell because of a reserve? That how I listed everything in the early days, but I just use OBO's for almost everything now.

Most buyers won't even look at an auction with a reserve. It's the kiss of death.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing a store if you are going to be listing the same thing over and over and over again.

Monthly store fees.

It's the price of doing business, if that's how you chose to do it. I guess I started early with eBay, so I was used to auctions.

Also if I had to relist something a dozen times, I'd either just lower the price, or put it in an auction.

I agree.... if the seller actually relied on selling comics for a living and really wanted to sell it. Many don't and only use ebay's free offerings only in order to list as just a hobby. That way nothing is lost if items never sell. ;) Everything to gain. Nothing to lose.

Just list your item for 30 cents more
You're assuming the item will sell. Therein lies the problem. 30 cents multiplied by 50 listings that may not sell, X 12 months X millions of ebay users...... CHA-CHING for ebay coffers!

I think that may be the whole point.

I think that eBay may want sellers to list items at a price that they will actually sell at.

Most buyers won't even look at an auction with a reserve. It's the kiss of death.

Maybe so now, but what happens when there's no more OBOs, it'll just change the stance on reserves.

I also primarily list at 99-cent start and no reserve, so it looks like I'm getting an extra 50 free listings each month. Sounds great to me. :)

Peace,

Chip

+1 Chip. Plus, just wait for the invite only email that comes every two months or so that gives 100,000 free listings for 9 days, and throw up all those BINs you were holding back. Personally, I stay away from listing big dollar books on eBay. There are way better venues for those. I prefer .99 or 9.99 auctions for the flea market, er eBay buyers.

Just list your item for 30 cents more
You're assuming the item will sell. Therein lies the problem. 30 cents multiplied by 50 listings that may not sell, X 12 months X millions of ebay users...... CHA-CHING for ebay coffers!

Listing stuff on ebay in perpituity that never really sells or is listed too high to begin with is not really in the spirit of what Ebay is, imho.

I roll my eyes every time I scroll past that same overpriced book thats been clogging up my searches for the past 12-26 months. Do sellers just hope that some day some complete blathering mouth-breather is gonna come by and BIN for the absurd price he's asking?

If this means people can't just park their overpriced stuff on ebay in perpituity, I'm all for it.

Reserves cost money too.

I'm an auction guy, but was going to do some BINs

eBay changes the rules every few months. It's been around for a LONG time. Shouldn't they have it figured out by now?

This sucks that fools like this have ruined a great feature-I love buyingg stuff now/best offer now there will be less of that

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

I've always agreed with the above, and usually skip reserve auctions.

And yet, I posted a book on Ebay a couple days ago using a reserve. :facepalm:

I usually just do the 99 cent start & let it ride.

I walked away from eBay a long time ago. I simply got tired of all the overpricing and it was no longer enjoyable or worth my time.

I might consider returning if they implemented something like this:

Free unlimited listings for auction items started at 99 cents or less with no reserve....with a 'buy it now' allowed that would last for the entire length of the auction or until the bid amount exceeds it.

Everyone else pays for their listings (however...if a listing sells, then the listing fee would be credited back to the seller).

If you have an item you don't want to chance with a low starting bid...then you pay the listing fee if it doesn't sell.

When I do an eBay search for slabs, I always block BIN's and just search for auctions because I don't want to get bogged down with all the overpriced BIN's that have been sitting there for months on end.

If the changes are happening on eBay UK as well as eBay US then I'm going to have a lot more results in my searches in the future.

There's still times like with OA where a BIN that lasts a few months is the best way to sell.

How about getting billed for BIN unless it sells, then the amount is deducted. That will clean house.

And if seller relists at lower price, they don't get the previous billings deducted. That'll show em.

No freebies for BS

I noticed that the "Book" category is not one of the categories affected... Can CGC comic BOOKS be listed in this category? They even have a sub-category of "antiquarian and collectible" as well as "magazine back issues"....

Just wondering.

There's still times like with OA where a BIN that lasts a few months is the best way to sell.

How about getting billed for BIN unless it sells, then the amount is deducted. That will clean house.

That would work to...in fact....I'll amend my post to reflect it.