• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay to force non-store sellers to use auctions instead of fixed-price listings.

123 posts in this topic

It's .30. Hardly forcing anyone to do anything.

0.30 * 12 * number of listings per year

Free unlimited listings for auction items started at 99 cents or less with no reserve....with a 'buy it now' allowed that would last for the entire length of the auction or until the bid amount exceeds it.

:takeit:

I will simply list an auction then at a BIN price...

(shrug)

This would have got me maybe $50 for an OA piece I sold for BIN $120 after 4 months

I don't like it

Am I the only one that does not oppose this?? Might clear up a ton of junk listings on ebay.

I'm fine with it. I thought about the junk listings as well.

It doesn't say you CAN'T do fixed price listings, just that it will cost you 30 cents if you do.

Didn't it use to cost thirty cents for a fixed price listing before they went to the free thing?

From the original article at ecommercebytes

One seller said they would list in auction format to get their free listings, but would start the bidding at a high starting bid. (Whether eBay may try to close that loophole is anybody's guess.)

What this really means then is that our golden/silver/bronze area of the forum is about to be flooded.

What it also means is that I will look for every loophole within the eBay system while still abiding by their rules.

The following categories are affected by this update, and will no longer be eligible for free fixed price listings* to sellers without an eBay Stores subscription:

Antiques

Art

Baby

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories

Coins & Paper Money

Collectibles

Dolls & Bears

Entertainment Memorabilia

Health & Beauty

Jewelry & Watches

Pottery & Glass

Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop

Stamps

Toys & Hobbies

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/04/sellers-updates-to-fees-in-select-categories-could-mean-more-free-listings-for-you/#sthash.1r0yaGmW.dpuf

I sell lots of books on ebay at auction style only start off with .99 cents.

For those fearful of not having the fixed price safety net, you have to learn how to sell on ebay. You don't just throw something on ebay, take a picture with your cell phone camera and expect it to sell for over or close to GPA. Then say "Well ebay doesn't work"

There is a certain way ebay works that most people don't understand. It goes by search results.

You have to build you title a certain way, write your description a certain way. Nothing sells itself, even comics. Even have to end the auction at a certain time/day.

I'm not going to get into it all right this second, but all I see is one terrible ebay ad after another.

I sell lots of books on ebay at auction style only start off with .99 cents.

For those fearful of not having the fixed price safety net, you have to learn how to sell on ebay. You don't just throw something on ebay, take a picture with your cell phone camera and expect it to sell for over or close to GPA. Then say "Well ebay doesn't work"

There is a certain way ebay works that most people don't understand. It goes by search results.

You have to build you title a certain way, write your description a certain way. Nothing sells itself, even comics. Even have to end the auction at a certain time/day.

I'm not going to get into it all right this second, but all I see is one terrible ebay ad after another.

This

I time my auctions to end on weekend afternoons, throw in every descriptor possible and use great pics. I answer every question.

And I have great success on ebay.

Some of the sparse lame listings I see blow my mind.

I'm confused. Are the free auction listings only for auctions starting at 99 cents? I didn't see that in the eBay press release.

My interpretation is, "no". Admittedly I will sit down tomorrow to comb through it but as of now you can start an auction at any price you want. If I am going to list things then I will list it slightly below BIN prices as I believe a BIN sales allows eBay to take a bit more out of the final value.

It's nothing crazy in reality. It's more of the way they did things ten years ago.

Just have the auction start at your BIN price :) Only need 1 bid

No best offer feature-sigh

All Ebay is doing is forcing someone like one of us to create another Auction site with better rates and less hassle. Seriously getting sick of Ebay and their never changing high premiums.

There already are other auction sites with better rates and less hassle, ebay just has a bigger audience.

Ebay is actually pretty good, it gets easier as you lean how to post ads on it, I get free listing and fixed price offers all the time. Being a top rated seller has it's perks. Again you still need to learn how to post ads correctly to be able to take advantage of the site.

Am I the only one that does not oppose this?? Might clear up a ton of junk listings on ebay.

I'm fine with it. I thought about the junk listings as well.

It doesn't say you CAN'T do fixed price listings, just that it will cost you 30 cents if you do.

Didn't it use to cost thirty cents for a fixed price listing before they went to the free thing?

I think it was 0.50 before. So this is nothing new.

It's .30. Hardly forcing anyone to do anything.

0.30 * 12 * number of listings per year

Only if your books sit there for a whole year.

In that case you might want to look at adjusting pricing, or you probably don't care that you're not selling it.