• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay to force non-store sellers to use auctions instead of fixed-price listings.

123 posts in this topic

eBay Restructures Fees to Revive Ailing Auctions

By Ina Steiner

EcommerceBytes.com

May 01, 2014

The day after eBay CEO John Donahoe revealed that auctions were down 9% in the first quarter, the company announced fee changes designed to revive them. eBay is basically forcing lower-volume sellers in certain popular categories such as collectibles and clothing to list in the auction format.

The fee changes only impact those sellers who don't pay a monthly fee to subscribe to an eBay Store. The new fee structure goes into effect on May 15, 2014.

In a nutshell, eBay is taking away the 50 free listings that non-Store subscribers could use towards auctions or fixed price listings in almost any category; and instead it is giving them 100 free listings - but 50 of them can only be used to list in auction format in 14 categories including Clothing Shoes & Accessories and Collectibles. The other 50 can be used to list in auction format in any category, or in fixed-price format - but only in other categories - they can't be used to list fixed-price goods in the 14 categories listed.

That means non-Store subscribers no longer get 50 free fixed-price listings in Collectibles, Pottery & Glass, Sports Memorabilia, etc.

For sellers who list collectibles or clothing in auction format, it looks like excellent news - they get 100 free auction listings instead of 50. For sellers who list fixed-price in those 14 categories, it looks like bad news. One seller said they would list in auction format to get their free listings, but would start the bidding at a high starting bid. (Whether eBay may try to close that loophole is anybody's guess.)

Sellers reacted on the eBay boards, some panicking, some pointing out that eBay broke its promise to give them 60 day's notice of major changes - in this case, eBay is giving sellers 2 weeks to prepare.

When asked why eBay chose not to give sellers 60 days notice about fee changes, instead giving them 2 weeks' notice, eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore said, "While we strive to give sellers as much notice as possible, we wanted to make this change as soon as possible to benefit our sellers in these specific categories." :roflmao:doh!

Auction-style listings are the best way for many sellers to sell in popular categories like Fashion and Collectibles & Art, according to eBay's announcement on Wednesday. The problem eBay doesn't mention is that if a listing gets few bids, an auction listing could sell at a price far lower than the value of the item.

The standard insertion fee for fixed-price listings remains at 30 cents per listing. That means sellers who choose to continue to list in the fixed-price format in the 14 categories affected by the fee change will see a fee increase of up to $15/month, or $180/year.

During Tuesday's first-quarter earnings call, eBay's CFO Bob Swan said, "Fixed price represents 76% of our business grew 19%, but auction volume declined 9 points due to changes in consumer preferences and slower consumer selling." The fee changes are clearly meant to revive auction listings.

Attention ebay: the more money your sellers make, the more money you make.

Let them do their thing.

Does ebay make more fee's off an auction vs BIN, assuming the prices would be the same? By that I mean, if I have a BIN for $100 or an auction that sells for $100, do they make more off the auction in some way?

People will just set their starting bid at their BIN price right? The only downside I see for people is they will have to wait out the auction time period for the item to sell, the upside being maybe someone comes and bids more on the item than they expected.

Seems like it's not really that big of a deal assuming I understand everything.

So as long as I do 50 listings or less a month, which is really all I have time for, I can do my thing and continue fixed listings.

Does ebay make more fee's off an auction vs BIN, assuming the prices would be the same? By that I mean, if I have a BIN for $100 or an auction that sells for $100, do they make more off the auction in some way?

People will just set their starting bid at their BIN price right? The only downside I see for people is they will have to wait out the auction time period for the item to sell, the upside being maybe someone comes and bids more on the item than they expected.

Seems like it's not really that big of a deal assuming I understand everything.

I usually accept Best Offers, so this cancels that out too, I guess. I just don't see anybody placing a starting bid at my BIN price.

Also I noticed many top-notch sellers stopped using eBay in last few years included WWComics.com and others.

I think IRS wanted money from any eBay sellers who make over $20,000 or 200 transactions a year. That may be the reason of the declining sales on eBay.

I was extremely disappointed that I sold my prized Swamp Thing #1 CGC 9.6 White Pages for only $368 instead of $500+. That was an auction sale. Never again. Co-signers are much safer than this auction company.

I do autions about 95% of time, but IDK if i like this. Also says I've made 5000 for the month and can't sell anything, which is total , cuz if I had 5000 from ebay selling I would of already have a nice high grade silver age comic.

So as long as I do 50 listings or less a month, which is really all I have time for, I can do my thing and continue fixed listings.

No.

"In a nutshell, eBay is taking away the 50 free listings that non-Store subscribers could use towards auctions or fixed price listings in almost any category; and instead it is giving them 100 free listings - but 50 of them can only be used to list in auction format in 14 categories including Clothing Shoes & Accessories and Collectibles. The other 50 can be used to list in auction format in any category, or in fixed-price format - but only in other categories - they can't be used to list fixed-price goods in the 14 categories listed."

"That means non-Store subscribers no longer get 50 free fixed-price listings in Collectibles, Pottery & Glass, Sports Memorabilia, etc."

In a nutshell, eBay is taking away the 50 free listings that non-Store subscribers could use towards auctions or fixed price listings in almost any category; and instead it is giving them 100 free listings - but 50 of them can only be used to list in auction format in 14 categories including Clothing Shoes & Accessories and Collectibles. The other 50 can be used to list in auction format in any category, or in fixed-price format - but only in other categories - they can't be used to list fixed-price goods in the 14 categories listed.

I'm assuming, no.

Am I the only one that does not oppose this?? Might clear up a ton of junk listings on ebay.

I'm fine with it. I thought about the junk listings as well.

It doesn't say you CAN'T do fixed price listings, just that it will cost you 30 cents if you do.

Just list your item for 30 cents more
You're assuming the item will sell. Therein lies the problem. 30 cents multiplied by 50 listings that may not sell, X 12 months X millions of ebay users...... CHA-CHING for ebay coffers!

Dang

Just list your item for 30 cents more
You're assuming the item will sell. Therein lies the problem. 30 cents multiplied by 50 listings that may not sell, X 12 months X millions of ebay users...... CHA-CHING for ebay coffers!

The whole free listing thing is relatively new. It's pretty much ruined it for those of us who used to list auctions only.

When I list an auction, it's usually for a 99 cent start. I used have a lot of fun with those. Never made a ton of money, but I got to get rid of my doubles, upgrade, not lose money.

I also met a lot of collectors (because we got to see names, etc;)...

I'll still list at a 99 cent start, but I hold my breath because there are so many listings, it's hard to find anything.

I barely shop on eBay anymore for that reason. Most of the listings are WAY overpriced.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing a store if you are going to be listing the same thing over and over and over again.