• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

There might be some liefeld discussion threads on the internet somewhere..... hm

Ha ha you picked the most unpopular position imaginable no surprise you're getting some flak...but if you like him that's all that matters...

Yeah, I recognize it's a tough position to take. He's been vilified for a long time.

But I just feel like someone needs to defend the guy. Or at least his peak work. He's made plenty of mistakes, and some of his art really is quite bad, but if you can't even acknowledge the quality of his best work, there's just something wrong.

At least give him the credit he's due.

That's fair

Well, I understand where he's coming from.

He likes Liefeld and there's nothing wrong with that - and he was surprised by the negative reaction -which I confess is a little unexpected.

So he's lashing back. Not unusual behavior.

OK, here's what's ridiculous about this whole thread.

The topic was "What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?"

It wasn't a thread about "who don't you like" or "what makes good art" or any of the many places most of the vitriol would fit in. It was an honest question that has now had a small handful of posts related to the topic and about 15 pages of trolls that come out of the woodwork to mock someone they don't like.

Yeah, I'm an unabashed fan of the work Liefeld did when I was a kid. It was great, especially when you have the perspective to remember how formulaic and identical most comics were back then.

I suspect none of you know the guy, I suspect none of you follow his work, and I'm almost certain none of you have done anything with your lives worthy of this soapbox you're preaching from. If you're John Byrne or Sal Buscema or Jack Kirby and know what it's like to actually produce comics for 25 years, sure, your opinion would be interesting to hear. But I doubt any of you have produced even a single comic in your life.

I don't go jumping on a thread for an artist I don't like just to mock him and his fans. It's juvenile. Some of us actually wanted to have a chat about Liefeld art and what we enjoyed. Instead we have the comic book equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church picketing out front..

I don't really see much difference between most of these posts and the same things I see from those vilifying gays and minorities and women. People hiding behind masks and mocking someone to satisfy their own small egos:)

I understand your frustration and sorry if I took things off topic.

If i had to pick a piece it would be the cover to Cable and Deadpool 1. Not because I in anyway think it is great art but because I bought it off the stands as a kid (I still have it) and 7 year old me thought it was awesome.

Edited by The-Collector

I think Liefeld could have made Woodgod popular and-no feet

He likes Liefeld and there's nothing wrong with that - and he was surprised by the negative reaction -which I confess is a little unexpected.

It wasn't a thread about "who don't you like" or "what makes good art" or any of the many places most of the vitriol would fit in. It was an honest question that has now had a small handful of posts related to the topic and about 15 pages of trolls that come out of the woodwork to mock someone they don't like.

Yeah, I'm an unabashed fan of the work Liefeld did when I was a kid. It was great, especially when you have the perspective to remember how formulaic and identical most comics were back then.

I suspect none of you know the guy, I suspect none of you follow his work, and I'm almost certain none of you have done anything with your lives worthy of this soapbox you're preaching from. If you're John Byrne or Sal Buscema or Jack Kirby and know what it's like to actually produce comics for 25 years, sure, your opinion would be interesting to hear. But I doubt any of you have produced even a single comic in your life.

I don't go jumping on a thread for an artist I don't like just to mock him and his fans. It's juvenile. Some of us actually wanted to have a chat about Liefeld art and what we enjoyed. Instead we have the comic book equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church picketing out front..

I don't really see much difference between most of these posts and the same things I see from those vilifying gays and minorities and women. People hiding behind masks and mocking someone to satisfy their own small egos:)

What have you done to make your opinion more valuable than others?

And you keep saying "most comics" as if you've came even close to reading a fraction of a fraction of comics on the market. When you say "most comics" you really mean most comics from within a single genre and a single publisher. That's like watching nothing but pro wrestling and saying the Ultimate Warrior was the best television actor in history, and when people disagree you counter with "WELL, HE WAS BETTER THAN ANDRE THE GIANT!"

Watch different shows.

And I've done some fairly worthy things in my life; running into burning buildings on a regular basis to protect life and property, then later to help design technology like GPS, ultrasound equipment, and the chipsets that allow your Intel or AMD microprocessors to communicate data with its RAM, graphic processors, and other peripheral buses.

I feel kinda worthy.

That's actually really awesome :applause:

That looks cool too. :popcorn: You should have drew the cover guy....with tiny little spud feet. The doossshhhhnozel guy might have liked it. :popcorn:

Ankles halfway up the leg so the triangle flippers below look like hooves. The faun look was really popular in the 90's too.

I'm still not swayed that RabidFerret is not Rob Liefeld.

Haha, nah, just someone who appreciates his work from the early 90s.

Not saying I dig his current stuff. Not saying I don't think he's done some horrible things in his career(poaching artists, not hitting deadlines, not improving as an artist, etc),

But when he first arrived? He was unlike most of what was in comics. He created a clone army singlehandedly and was the poster-child(good and bad) for comics. If you grew up in that era there's no way you didn't admire him. A young 20 year old kid drawing one of the top selling books?

You can hate him now, but back then he was quite impressive.

Oh, and thanks to all you haters, it just makes his work that much more affordable to buy:) You guys can mock me all you want, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank:)

i grew up in that era...i had zero admiration for Robert Liefeld

There might be some liefeld discussion threads on the internet somewhere..... hm

Ha ha you picked the most unpopular position imaginable no surprise you're getting some flak...but if you like him that's all that matters...

Yeah, I recognize it's a tough position to take. He's been vilified for a long time.

But I just feel like someone needs to defend the guy. Or at least his peak work. He's made plenty of mistakes, and some of his art really is quite bad, but if you can't even acknowledge the quality of his best work, there's just something wrong.

That's fair

I will give him all the credit he's due. He's about the most successful mainstream superhero artist who has the least amount of talent.

How could somebody who embodies everything bad about the 90s be vilified?

Just because he had no formal art training, little storytelling ability, was all about style over substance, couldn't meet deadlines, couldn't run a business properly...

The best thing Liefeld ever did was turning over control of Supreme to Alan Moore. Unfortunately, that was followed by the dumb mess letting his company die before Moore was finished.

I don't hate Liefeld because of his art, but I'm not a fan and couldn't name my favourite artwork offhand.

You are a hilariously entertaining poster, I have to admit...but you really don't understand the difference between "mocking" and "objective analysis." And I'm not sure where you are seeing the "mocking" of his fans. And "formulaic"? The late 80's/early 90's scene that Rob Liefeld entered was one of the richest, most diverse artistic periods in the entire history of the industry. You make odd, uneducated blanket statements and assumptions that are simply false. You've indicated that you don't even know what a strawman argument is.

So, why are you so adamant about telling everyone else that they're wrong...? What do you bring to the table?

If you want to take this as a personal attack on you, you're more than welcome. It is a mistake, but it is a common one.

But for your sake, you should learn how to disagree with people without the emotional, snarky and snide responses. It wins you nothing.

Or don't. Either way, you are immensely entertaining.

:cloud9:

Especially when their own "attempt" at a comic is some seriously horrendous looking mess. Kav? Chuck? Seriously guys? Wow, way to put in a solid weekend on making a comic. The effort and talent really shines through!

Here's a great example of a strawman argument.

You said: "But I doubt any of you have produced even a single comic in your life."

Then, when people posted examples of actual comics they produced, you set up a strawman, which you promptly tore down, by calling it "seriously horrendous looking mess"...completely ignoring the fact that your original contention was wrong.

No one said it was better than Liefeld's work (though it is.) They simply posted examples that proved your original contention wrong. And when your contention was proved wrong, you changed your argument.

PS. No one called Liefeld's work "seriously horrendous looking mess"...so why do you, and worse, right to these people's faces?

Here's a copy of the first issue of one me and a friend did in college. I was the writer.

You can tell it's the early 90's, it's an issue #0!

image_zps81693a32.jpgimage_zpsbed82b95.jpg

I WANT THIS.

I WANT AN SS COPY OF THIS!!!

lol well I doubt I have anything close to a 9.8 candidate, but I do have a few copies left of it...

Here's a copy of the first issue of one me and a friend did in college. I was the writer.

You can tell it's the early 90's, it's an issue #0!

image_zps81693a32.jpgimage_zpsbed82b95.jpg

I WANT THIS.

I WANT AN SS COPY OF THIS!!!

lol well I doubt I have anything close to a 9.8 candidate, but I do have a few copies left of it...

Muy excellente!

What have you done to make your opinion more valuable than others?

And you keep saying "most comics" as if you've came even close to reading a fraction of a fraction of comics on the market. When you say "most comics" you really mean most comics from within a single genre and a single publisher.

Wow, way to twist my words into a completely different argument:)

I've never said my opinion was more valuable - but at least I have my own and am not just repeating the same tired old memes and cliches.

What I have repeatedly said since post 1 is that this thread devolved into people bashing one specific artist they all enjoy gangraping - on a thread that was intended to discuss his best work.

I do quite love how you apparently know all the comics I've read, what genres, and what publishers! That's an impressive trick! I'm clearly dealing with some bright folks here.

Even if Liefeld's work was extreme satire designed to accentuate the ridiculousness of the musculature, the over amplification of the female's sexuality, and the latent homoerotic undertones of the characters (not that there's anything wrong with that), it still wouldn't be firmly grounded enough in it's fundamentals to be called good.

I'm not sure anyone who's an Archie fan should be throwing stones about what constitutes good...

For anyone who previously thought you might not know what you're talking about when it comes to an understanding of comics and the sequential art form, you pretty much sealed the deal there.

Wow, tears us down for hating on Liefeld and then turns around and hates on what others like.

"What I like is great. What you like sucks." :eyeroll:

Awesome. Way to fortify and legitimize your argument, rabidferret.

You are a hilariously entertaining poster, I have to admit...but you really don't understand the difference between "mocking" and "objective analysis." And I'm not sure where you are seeing the "mocking" of his fans. And "formulaic"? The late 80's/early 90's scene that Rob Liefeld entered was one of the richest, most diverse artistic periods in the entire history of the industry. You make odd, uneducated blanket statements and assumptions that are simply false. You've indicated that you don't even know what a strawman argument is.

So, why are you so adamant about telling everyone else that they're wrong...? What do you bring to the table?

If you want to take this as a personal attack on you, you're more than welcome. It is a mistake, but it is a common one.

But for your sake, you should learn how to disagree with people without the emotional, snarky and snide responses. It wins you nothing.

Or don't. Either way, you are immensely entertaining.

:cloud9:

I have seen nothing "objective" in your postings yet:) In fact, most of what I've seen is someone who ignores half of what's written to change direction and focus on whatever supports your own next criticism.

I exaggerated about the depth of no backgrounds in comics and gave a variety of examples...to which you simply changed direction onto another argument:)

In no way am I telling people that they're wrong about their opinions - but I am challenging whether most of them truly formed them on their own, as opposed to repeating what the person next to them said in mob mentality - which it's pretty clear this thread devolved to rather quickly.

Treat for you:

Funny-Wiener-Dog-Accent-Lamp.jpg

Wow, tears us down for hating on Liefeld and then turns around and hates on what others like.

"What I like is great. What you like sucks." :eyeroll:

Awesome. Way to fortify and legitimize your argument, rabidferret.

It's called sarcasm pal:)

It just gets a bit tired when a herd of people start running around pointing at one artist and mocking him, while claiming their mess doesn't stink. I was simply pointing out(again and again and again) that the vast majority of artists make the same mistakes(bad feet), cut the same corners(minimal backgrounds), and deliver work that isn't at a professional level(bad perspective, bad deadlines, etc).

But it gets really comical and silly when the people throwing those stones then show that they're not even close to the level of the person they're mocking.