• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Here's a great example of a strawman argument.

You said: "But I doubt any of you have produced even a single comic in your life."

Then, when people posted examples of actual comics they produced, you set up a strawman, which you promptly tore down, by calling it "seriously horrendous looking mess"...completely ignoring the fact that your original contention was wrong.

Sorry, I meant a professional comic book, not a fanmade comic. Ie, something that a publisher released, went through Diamond, and ended up on comic shelves outside your LCS.

My point is entirely valid - I seriously doubt any of the people posting on this know what the day to day job of being a comic book artist actually is, and what the tradeoffs and deadlines actually mean. If you want to take 6 months to publish your own comic that's cool and I encourage the initiative, but that doesn't mean you know what the job is really like.

I was simply trying to give some of the negativity back to the original posters based on a completely superficial look at a cover - not much different from what most people are doing on Liefeld:)

No one said it was better than Liefeld's work (though it is.) They simply posted examples that proved your original contention wrong. And when your contention was proved wrong, you changed your argument.

When did I change my argument?? I was simply attempting to treat others the same way they treat Liefeld and his fans.

PS. No one called Liefeld's work "seriously horrendous looking mess"...so why do you, and worse, right to these people's faces?

Hahahahahahaha, so let me make sure I'm understanding this - it's completely ok to rip someone apart if it's not to their faces and they're not there to defend themselves, but if they're on the thread I should sugar coat it it sprinkles?? Hahahahahahahahahahahah.

You and your lamp fetish are funny...

DuckLampLightArmDeskBirdFowlFunny.jpeg

In no way am I telling people that they're wrong about their opinions - but I am challenging whether most of them truly formed them on their own, as opposed to repeating what the person next to them said in mob mentality - which it's pretty clear this thread devolved to rather quickly.

Why do you keep repeating this over and over?

I looked at his(liefeld) work with my own eyes, and with my own brain I reached the conclusion that it sucks.

Same as most people here did.

Edited by budsbundy

I looked at his(liefeld) work with my own eyes, and with my own brain I reached the conclusion that it sucks.

The guy's done thousands of pages of art, yet it's generally the same handful of pieces people keep pointing to.

I'm not saying there's not plenty of , but there is some good stuff in there that people seem unwilling to give credit to.

I was simply pointing out(again and again and again) that the vast majority of artists make the same mistakes(bad feet), cut the same corners(minimal backgrounds), and deliver work that isn't at a professional level(bad perspective, bad deadlines, etc).

If that is true, then why does Liefeld get crapped on so consistently while others who make the same mistakes, do not.

The guy's done thousands of pages of art, yet it's generally the same handful of pieces people keep pointing to.

I'm not saying there's not plenty of , but there is some good stuff in there that people seem unwilling to give credit to.

Looking at Rob Liefeld he really was like a shooting star.

He came on like gangbusters in about one years worth of work he created Cable,Deadpool and Domino, then he hasn`t done much since.

Really New Mutants 87 to what X-Force 9 was all he really did before he burnt out.

So in less then a year in half he hit major homeruns with Deadpool and Cable, but since then has coasted these last 20 years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

He came out like gangbusters in about one years worth of work he created Cable,Deadpool and Domino, then he hasn`t done much since.

Really New Mutants 87 to what X-Force 9 was all he really did before he burnt out.

So in less then a year in half he hit major homeruns with Deadpool and Cable, but since then has coasted these last 20 years.

Yeah, but I don't care for either of those characters. He hasn't created anything good to me.

All you've said is that you like his work.

You posted what is, in your opinion, his best. We gave you reasons why we didn't like it.

What do you like about it? IYO, what makes it his best?

I posted a few covers from the era when he was at the top. Marvel launched X-Force because of him. It was his book. And he turned out those covers I posted.

He came out like gangbusters in about one years worth of work he created Cable,Deadpool and Domino, then he hasn`t done much since.

Yeah, but I don't care for either of those characters. He hasn't created anything good to me.

Those two characters Cable and Deadpool were probably the last big new characters created by the big 2 in these last twenty years if you think about it.

Interesting. hm

New_Mutants_Vol_1_87_2nd_Printing.jpg

New_Mutants_Vol_1_98.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I seriously doubt any of the people posting on this know what the day to day job of being a comic book artist actually is, and what the tradeoffs and deadlines actually mean.

There are a variety of people here who have plenty of published art who work under various deadlines and never felt the need to krap all over another creators rights, rip people off or act unethically just to finish the job.

You are in an argument that you will never, ever win because you are defending a complete assclown who is reviled by virtually every comic collector who has a tiny inkling of how he professionally conducts himself - and I'd seriously suggest reading a little more about the kind of person Rob Liefeld is.

If you want to know why he gets beat up on his art, read up about him. It's easy to fogive Jack Kirby or Art Adams or whomever because they are artists in the industry who don't/didn't go around :censored: people over and being an :censored: . It's that simple. When you're an assclown in your profession, you get treated like an assclown.

This thread is awesome. I just read through all of it. It's been extremely entertaining. I'm not able to name my favorite piece by him. But I'm also not really a fan for the same reasons rehashed over the thread.

Here's a copy of the first issue of one me and a friend did in college. I was the writer.

You can tell it's the early 90's, it's an issue #0!

image_zps81693a32.jpgimage_zpsbed82b95.jpg

I WANT THIS.

I WANT AN SS COPY OF THIS!!!

lol well I doubt I have anything close to a 9.8 candidate, but I do have a few copies left of it...

I wouldn't mind reading a copy :shy:

Rob Liefeld was a jerk when I met him, but I think he did some nice pieces as well.

His artwork for the most part feels very rushed and sloppy, I was a fan for a couple years in the early 90's. Not so much anymore.

Edited by Rip

this thread devolved into people bashing one specific artist they all enjoy gangraping - on a thread that was intended to discuss his best work.

I don't believe there is such thing as the "best work" of Rob Liefeld. That's a little like trying to discuss Paris Hilton's "best song".

I personally like Liefelds art. I think he definitely has his own style. I think it's possible that people assume that he cannot draw anatomically correct, instead of assuming that he draws like that on purpose, because that's his style, and that's how he likes to draw. In other words, maybe the long legs, lack of detailed feet, and disproportional body parts are intentional, not because he's incapable of drawing otherwise, but because that's how he likes to draw his characters. I could be wrong about that, but just because someone chooses not to do something, doesn't mean they are incapable of doing it. Some of my favorite guitarists choose not to play difficult solos in their songs, even though they can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Call it odd, call it bad art, call it whatever. I'm not an artist, so I cannot accurately judge Liefeld's work from an artist perspective (and maybe that why I like his art), but I am comic book fan, and I can say that I find his art to be entertaining. I also don't need to take into consideration the type of person someone is, or the politics attached to that person to admire their work. There's a lot of musicians, actors, and other entertainers who I may not completely respect on a personal level, but that shouldn't necessarily get in the way of me appreciating their artistic accomplishments, though I can understand why people would feel turned off by Liefeld's work If he treated them rudely.

All in all, Liefeld is an easy target, and people wont hesitate to take advantage of the bashing opportunity when it arises. Ironically, there are some mainstream artists who I personally think are disgustingly awful (much worse than Liefeld), yet they will never get the amount of dirt Liefeld does.

I'm going to post attach this pic again in case It was missed. I actually think this is my favorite drawing of Deadpool.

Deadpool_Vol_2_1_Liefeld_Variant_zps74a303e0.jpg

Liefeld's "best" work appears to be both inked by and based on the compositions of other artists. If that were all there was, the worst I would say about him is that he succeeded in promoting a flashy mediocrity that captured young fanboy imagination in the early 90s. And I would agree that the work of contemporaries like Larsen and Lee at the time was at the same level of mediocrity.

Liefeld will forever be the poster boy for godawful comic art because when he was bad, he was extremely bad, not just rushed or clumsy, but self-published forgotten copper age by incompetent fanboys bad.

I personally like Liefelds art. I think he definitely has his own style. I think it's possible that people assume that he cannot draw anatomically correct, instead of assuming that he draws like that on purpose, because that's his style, and that's how he likes to draw. In other words, maybe the long legs, lack of detailed feet, and disproportional body parts are intentional, not because he's incapable of drawing otherwise, but because that's how he likes to draw his characters. I could be wrong about that, but just because someone chooses not to do something, doesn't mean they are incapable of doing it. Some of my favorite guitarists choose not to play difficult solos in their songs, even though they can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Call it odd, call it bad art, call it whatever. I'm not an artist, so I cannot accurately judge Liefeld's work from an artist perspective (and maybe that why I like his art), but I am comic book fan, and I can say that I find his art to be entertaining. I also don't need to take into consideration the type of person someone is, or the politics attached to that person to admire their work. There's a lot of musicians, actors, and other entertainers who I may not completely respect on a personal level, but that shouldn't necessarily get in the way of me appreciating their artistic accomplishments, though I can understand why people would feel turned off by Liefeld's work If he treated them rudely.

All in all, Liefeld is an easy target, and people wont hesitate to take advantage of the bashing opportunity when it arises. Ironically, there are some mainstream artists who I personally think are disgustingly awful (much worse than Liefeld), yet they will never get the amount of dirt Liefeld does.

I'm going to post attach this pic again in case It was missed. I actually think this is my favorite drawing of Deadpool.

Deadpool_Vol_2_1_Liefeld_Variant_zps74a303e0.jpg

he actually cannot draw feet and hands, a style would maybe be bigger hands, thicker line work, overusing shadows etc....lack of ability is not a style

If all Rob Liefeld was guilty of creating art that most people didn't like, he would be in the same category as Humberto Ramos, and probably not be hammered on like he is. The problem is that his professional reputation has affected his work, and a great many people have a problem with what he has done to other people in the industry.