• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I finally just noticed that Liefeld had a terrible time drawing hairlines.

no, no, no, we've learned from this thread that Liefeld's seeming inability to draw proper anatomy is a design choice, not a deficiency in his artistic skillzzzz.

no, no, no, we've learned from this thread that Liefeld's seeming inability to draw proper anatomy is a design choice, not a deficiency in his artistic skillzzzz.

O1OJx9e.gif

O1OJx9e.gif

Don't you believe that this is really Stiltman's wife, albeit with some kind of bizarre curvature of her spine.

Enchantress_(by_Rob_Liefeld)_1.jpg

O1OJx9e.gif

Don't you believe that this is really Stiltman's wife, albeit with some kind of bizarre curvature of her spine.

liefeld_zps766b8223.png797.gifstiltman1.jpg

I understand that taste in art is subjective. What I don't understand is how anyone can look at his work objectively and call it good.

Let me try and get the gist of the "opposing side":

"99% of the artists working today have a terrible time drawing hairlines, and who says Liefeld's hairlines are terrible anyways? They're EXCITING, that's what they are! You just hate Liefeld, and are jealous cuz you've never even looked at a comic book in your life, so how would you know?"

hm

Is that close...?

:whee:

I understand that taste in art is subjective. What I don't understand is how anyone can look at his work objectively and call it good.

No one can, which is what makes this guy's overemotional, uberdefensive posturing on behalf of Liefeld so fascinating...

:popcorn:

i always hate the "can you do better?" arguement, how does that make it good?

Yeah, that's a pretty weak arguing point. It has nothing to do with being "better" at drawing, it has to do with consumer expectations of a professional artist. If a guy gets paid $500 per page, or is making tens of thousand of dollars per issue - as a viewer, I would expect that that page or book has some amazing stuff in it.

Let me try and get the gist of the "opposing side":

"99% of the artists working today have a terrible time drawing hairlines, and who says Liefeld's hairlines are terrible anyways? They're EXCITING, that's what they are! You just hate Liefeld, and are jealous cuz you've never even looked at a comic book in your life, so how would you know?"

hm

Is that close...?

:whee:

hm exciting hairlines? Hadn't considered that hm hm hm

i always hate the "can you do better?" arguement, how does that make it good?

I probabily could do better

I imagine most of us could.

These fallacious arguments, like "can you do better?" (which is easily put down by merely mentioning the existence of "editors"), are standard form for most anyone who is incapable of forming a cogent, rational response to a position with which they disagree.

They also should have been drummed out of people by 10th grade, but we all know that rhetoric was one of the first things to go in a school system designed to turn out drones (just after music and fine art.)

Fully half the "debate" that goes on around here (or anywhere) is composed of little but fallacy, straw men, illogic, and ad hominem. And few people seem to understand what's wrong with any of that, or why that's a problem.

Speaking and writing properly....?

Well....

8my5p.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Well would you call people sheep if they all said they didn't like getting jammed in the eye with a pencil?

half way through making that i bet he was thinking

"this isn't that funny"

but decided he spent way too much time and effort to go back and start over

just like Liefeld does...ironic

Well said RMA, (thumbs u

Not to turn this discussion into a McFarlane discussion, but as much as whatit has been said it’s correct (re: Chuck on Infinity and earlier work), the early McFarlane Spideys are better because of the awesome talent of Bob McLeod.

Even Romita Jr. was transfigured by Al Williamson, so to speak.

Anyway, McFarlane put effort in ASM, not so in Spider-Man (the standalone series).

They should all thank Todd McFarlane every day of their working lives.

Keep in mind that McFarlane, although better, lacks greatly in terms of anatomy et al. he always compensated with the composition, but many things, as much "pleasing" they may look, they are still embarassing (including many Peter and MJ faces, honestly).

The "Spider-Man" series is really bad, at least the first issues. Probably on Spawn got better and better, but I did not follow him afterwards.

Yes, Todd was definitely phoning it in by this point, and it's really sad.

Some of his faces and anatomy towards his later Amazing run are...

...well, they're bad.

But hey, we'll always have Spidey #300!

:cloud9: