• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

You do make a point here with McCay, and even Mobius to an extent - but they are masters at using the same line quality but within different spacing to suggest depth and distance. I would not consider Liefeld's work to be in the same school of inking, and while he does get some sweeping lines in his work, his short strokes is what makes his style 'his'.

His work is "chicken scratchy" like McFarlane's work - much of the fluidity that you talk about with inking is lost in that style, because you cut short the motion to make long, flowing lines. I won't place the entire blame of this style on Liefeld, but it's very prevalent in 90's artists. It was part of that hyper-detailed style that took off during that era. The only person who I think mastered this technique that comes to mind is Art Adams.

:applause:

12jZUzL.jpg

btPoOr9.jpg

Art Adams has done some amazing work.

But I don't hear many people whining about his long legs and questionable anatomy:)

marvel-x-men-longshot-hard-cover-1.jpg

And he sure does a lot of clenched fists, eh?

You should start a thread about Art Adams then. This one is about Rob Liefeld.

:)

-slym

I like how one person seems to be more obsessed with lamps than the person the first is trying to mock.

-slym

Well, to be fair I didn't realize it was a fetish until this thread started, but now I can't get enough of them!!

Found this site and they have almost 9000 to choose from!

http://www.wayfair.com/Lamps-C215429.html

Me and RockMyAmadeus are gonna catfight this mess!

You do make a point here with McCay, and even Mobius to an extent - but they are masters at using the same line quality but within different spacing to suggest depth and distance. I would not consider Liefeld's work to be in the same school of inking, and while he does get some sweeping lines in his work, his short strokes is what makes his style 'his'.

His work is "chicken scratchy" like McFarlane's work - much of the fluidity that you talk about with inking is lost in that style, because you cut short the motion to make long, flowing lines. I won't place the entire blame of this style on Liefeld, but it's very prevalent in 90's artists. It was part of that hyper-detailed style that took off during that era. The only person who I think mastered this technique that comes to mind is Art Adams.

:applause:

12jZUzL.jpg

btPoOr9.jpg

Art Adams has done some amazing work.

But I don't hear many people whining about his long legs and questionable anatomy:)

marvel-x-men-longshot-hard-cover-1.jpg

And he sure does a lot of clenched fists, eh?

You should start a thread about Art Adams then. This one is about Rob Liefeld.

:)

-slym

I would view the hell out of a Art Adams thread! ;)

hm I am starting to think that perhaps Rabid Ferret IS Rob Liefeld!
I'm thinking he's sitting on a load of Liefeld OA hm

I've posted 2 different pages I own, so yeah, I quite enjoy his OA.

If anyone's selling I'm certainly buying:)

Based on this thread, it sounds like anyone stuck with any would love to unload it. Just send me a PM:)

Boom

Yes! Boom Boom art is welcome!

Like this super sexy piece! I know you'll all love it. Now THAT is the female form the way it's meant to be seen!!

xf99pg20.jpg

lol

And how 'bout Quasimodo Domino?

Very appropriately put :applause:

Yup. It's me and this guy collecting all the Liefeld OA nobody wants:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5149

He has a mess collection, huh?

Absolutely :sick:

But if he (or you) likes it, then great ;)

Edited by MR-SigS

Ok, now I think you're really just playing for fun. No one can be this purposely obtuse.

That is precisely what the plot to Swamp Thing #21 is.

Admit it, you're just screwing around, right...?

I'm really not sure you understand the english language at all.

Despite ucleben's gentle post, you seem quite bent on insulting your way out of this.

Have at it, then.

:popcorn:

Don't be ridiculous. The effort RabidFerret has put into this thread is far greater than Rob Liefeld has ever expended on anything.

Great inking? Every single line on this page is the same thickness. lol

The definition of great inking is not simply that there is differing line weight.

Look at Winsor McCay or Herge or the majority of strip artists. If they have more than 2 line weights I'd be amazed.

And let me ask - have you ever inked? It's really not that easy. You can't go slow. You need to move fast to give it life. You really need to sling it to get the sweeping lines and energy. This art has that. His current stuff does not; its very flat. Compare the two and you should be able to see what I mean.

And a good chunk of Art Adams' work goes quite overboard. His best period was about 1987-1989. After that, he got lazy. ;)

Don't be ridiculous. The effort RabidFerret has put into this thread is far greater than Rob Liefeld has ever expended on anything.

:roflmao:

I like how one person seems to be more obsessed with lamps than the person the first is trying to mock.

-slym

Yeah, it's pretty funny.

This is the source of the "lamp fetish" that RabidFerret (an appropriate moniker...?) drew from:

Have you ever read New Mutants #100? If you have, grab a copy and try and count the pages that have recognizable backgrounds. Anything, a wall, a tree, a lamp. Anything.

Seized it with a death grip, he did...

lol

I've posted 2 different pages I own, so yeah, I quite enjoy his OA.

If anyone's selling I'm certainly buying:)

Based on this thread, it sounds like anyone stuck with any would love to unload it. Just send me a PM:)

Boom

Yes! Boom Boom art is welcome!

Like this super sexy piece! I know you'll all love it. Now THAT is the female form the way it's meant to be seen!!

xf99pg20.jpg

lol

And how 'bout Quasimodo Domino?

When did Cannonball turn into a 90 year old Asian woman...?

hm

And look at the page number at the top. Is it page 16? 17? 16 again? 32?

Does it matter?

-slym

Yeah, it's pretty funny.

This is the source of the "lamp fetish" that RabidFerret (an appropriate moniker...?) drew from:

Have you ever read New Mutants #100? If you have, grab a copy and try and count the pages that have recognizable backgrounds. Anything, a wall, a tree, a lamp. Anything.

lol

12612.jpg

-slym

Yeah, it's pretty funny.

lol

12612.jpg

lol

Hahahaha:)

Sad, but true...

I'm not sure ill ever understand the amount of grief Liefeld gets as an artist. I think its pretty obvious that he's made a lot of mistakes, but I also find a lot of his work enjoyable.