• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

His New Mutants covers weren't that bad, and both 87 and 93 are pretty good. It really wasn't until Image and his later (cough) work that he went totally insane.

Nothing. I never liked him or any of the first generation IMAGE artists. Not even McFarlane or Lee. They just don't do it for me.

Many of those guys were plain clueless. All they could do is draw geometric shapes resembling asymmetrical human anatomy without any ability or even concept of what layout or even background is. Look behind the characters drawn by many of those Image artists and all you'll see is almost blank backgrounds or random geometric shapes with a myriad of colour. That's NOT a background. That's laziness and/or an inability to properly draw a scene.

Arghhh....

Edited by voorhees

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

NM 98, NM 100, and X-Force 1 are some of the best covers.

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

Do some searching in the forum archives and you'll find plenty of Liefeld-bashing!

I dislike all of his art equally.

just because it is different does not preclude it from being mess.

But each to their own.

There is a difference between people and people posting on an internet forum. It has become popular for sometime now to make fun of Liefeld (he isn't the only one in this category).

His art is distinctive and you immediately know who's it is, for better or worse. He has done his part to deserve some of the criticism but not all of the piling on that those like to do. I would suggest meeting him in person before you let anyone else sway your thoughts on him.

In full disclosure I am also a fan of Jim Shooters work.

His "art" sucks. All of it. Period.

NM #87 is the closest I can get to accepting because McSteroidBalls made it somewhat palatable regardless of the Kane "homage" (read: ripoff).

Peace,

Chip

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Rob did not destroy the industry by being a bad artist. He contributed to destroying the industry by soliciting books that effectively were vaporware and causing LCS's to tie up money in ordering product that never came out or came out months after it was supposed to.

That's a joke...right? Even Liefeld has called his style " a monthly version of Art Adams".

There is a difference between people and people posting on an internet forum. It has become popular for sometime now to make fun of Liefeld (he isn't the only one in this category).

His art is distinctive and you immediately know who's it is, for better or worse. He has done his part to deserve some of the criticism but not all of the piling on that those like to do. I would suggest meeting him in person before you let anyone else sway your thoughts on him.

In full disclosure I am also a fan of Jim Shooters work.

Rob may be a great guy. No one is saying otherwise. What does that have to do with our dislike of his artwork?

It's not like knowing that he is a really great guy is going to make me want to run out there and buy his art or suddenly become a fan.

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Rob did not destroy the industry by being a bad artist. He contributed to destroying the industry by soliciting books that effectively were vaporware and causing LCS's to tie up money in ordering product that never came out or came out months after it was supposed to.

+1

That's a joke...right? Even Liefeld has called his style " a monthly version of Art Adams".

He wishes!

He wishes!

No kidding!