• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I've posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating in this thread:

Liefeld Kickstarted a Brigade relaunch last year - and it still hasn't shipped.

He's on his FIFTH colorist for the Brigade book

He expects it to be done by JUNE OR JULY - it was funded almost 11 months ago

He admits to producing ZERO comic work in 2013

This only makes his art worse in my opinion. Get something done on time and you won't be as much of a lightning rod for the fanboys.

Has anyone in the industry stood up for Liefeld? Taking pot shots at Scott Snyder via twitter did not help his standing in the industry I'd imagine.

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

Well, it has feet. I'll give you that.

The scale on that drawing is dreadful. It's hard to see everything that's wrong in the B&W version. Someone posted a color version earlier and it's easier to make things out.

Look at Warpath's left leg/thigh (just above Shatterstar's knee) in comparison to his chest/torso. His fist is bigger than his head. His forearm muscle is bigger than his pecs.

What's with the Shatterstar pose? It looks like he should be sitting on a chair.

Cable's left foot vs his right foot. His crotch is wider than his head.

The drawing is a mess.

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

You wanna discuss art....? Fine, let's discuss art:

Look at the background. It's nothing but a poorly drawn "brick" wall.

Look at the feet.

Look at whatever that is Cable is wearing. It looks like a suit someone would put on for space or deep sea exploration. He cannot possibly move around in that contraption.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? And why is it bigger than his HEAD?

And why is his fist bigger than everyone ELSE'S head?

Where is Domino's left foot?

What is Shatterstar sitting on?

Why are Boom-Boom and Cannonball standing on a platform that isn't shown?

Look at Cable's left "foot"....then compare it to his right "foot"

This can go on and on and on....there are endless errors on this piece.

Beat me to it!! (worship)

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Look at the feet.

Look at whatever that is Cable is wearing. It looks like a suit someone would put on for space or deep sea exploration. He cannot possibly move around in that contraption.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? And why is it bigger than his HEAD?

We could do this all day, and not run out of things to critique. ;)

Look at the feet.

We could do this all day, and not run out of things to critique. ;)

The problem here is that you could do this FOR ANYONE. Pick any artist and any piece of art, and if you've already decided you don't like the artist, you'll find plenty of things to mock.

And the reverse is true too, that if you love the artist you'll ignore all the same issues.

Even though I just posted this on another thread yesterday, it fits in well here too.

Want to go through picking apart all the things wrong with this piece?

KirbyAPSigned.JPG

You can't do it with every artist. I'd like to see someone pick apart Byrne, Perez or Garcia-Lopez.

Peace,

Chip

No artist is perfect and you can find something even a little wrong in almost any piece. The difference between Liefeld and lets say...a good artist is that the good artist knows what he's doing and Liefeld obviously doesn't.

Plus, he charged me $140 to sign 7 books (all of 30 seconds), and he couldn't even be bothered to do one little head sketch.

:sumo:

You should've asked for a foot sketch then, just to see his reaction.

Have you ever heard the story of when Art Adams tried to teach him how many teeth are in a human mouth?

At least some of you bought into the hype back in 1991 and were buying his stuff. He didn't make a ton of dough and gain a ton of popularity because people mocked him.

No artist is perfect and you can find something even a little wrong in almost any piece.

That's not what I meant. "Pick apart" is not the same as finding "something even a little wrong." :) I understand your overall point, though.

Liefeld is completely wrong on all levels.

Peace,

Chip

At least some of you bought into the hype back in 1991 and were buying his stuff. He didn't make a ton of dough and gain a ton of popularity because people mocked him.

I remember buying Youngblood #1 back then. To my credit, I didn't buy #2 or any subsequent issue. :)

Peace,

Chip

Thank you, captain obvious.