• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midtown Comics for New Comic Books?

63 posts in this topic

I recently switched over to DCBS on my last couple preorders and have a question for those of you who use their service.

Do any of you order your books without paying for the bag/board? I've heard really good things about DCBS books being damage free but wondering if any of those stories are without bag/boards?

I did pay the extra fee on my orders but I buy a lot of books each month and had considered going without. Just wondering if their packaging of raw books with no bag/board is still pretty safe.

Thanks for your time.

mmcomics.com packs extremely well, books arrive in NM/MT condition. They usually mail out media mail so when you need those hot books right this second, you have to wait and by the time you get them, they aren't hot anymore

mmcomics.com packs extremely well, books arrive in NM/MT condition. They usually mail out media mail so when you need those hot books right this second, you have to wait and by the time you get them, they aren't hot anymore

(tsk)

Ordered 4 copies of Invincible #111 Ottley Sketch Variant from Midtown...

All four had a creases in the spine in the same spot.

Ordered 2 copies of Manifest Destiny #7 Variant from Midtown and 2 copies from a Random guy on ebay...

Creased up from Midtown and NM/M 9.8 candidates from random Ebay guy.

I recently switched over to DCBS on my last couple preorders and have a question for those of you who use their service.

Do any of you order your books without paying for the bag/board? I've heard really good things about DCBS books being damage free but wondering if any of those stories are without bag/boards?

I did pay the extra fee on my orders but I buy a lot of books each month and had considered going without. Just wondering if their packaging of raw books with no bag/board is still pretty safe.

Thanks for your time.

I only made one order from DCBS and it was a large one. The books just came in every few months and I only had to pay a one time shipping fee of 6.95, which is a huge positive.

I ordered with bags and boards and I don't think I would try otherwise. 95% of the comics were in great shape. The bags and boards are a lot cheaper on DCBS than what I have experienced on other online shops, or local shops for that matter.

What I would recommend though to any new customers; There was a coupon for I believe 15-25% off an entire first time order from them (which is why I splurged on 4-figures of books). I found the code/coupon googling it, so it can't be that hard. That also made the bags and boards go from 0.08 a piece to 0.06 a piece. Not too shabs.

Thanks for your time.

I used to order from DCBS before I found a new local comic shop literally a block away from me, which I've had amazing experiences with so far thankfully lol, and I pretty much never paid for bags and boards from them and everything always came in great shape.

I will say though that their prices for bags and boards are pretty good. $0.12 for regular bag and board, $0.30 for mylites and half-backs or $0.50 for mylites2 and full-backs. The mylites2 and full-backs are only about $0.05-$0.10 more than actually ordering them yourself from E Gerber (at least in bundles of 200 anyways, if you order in thousands then the difference gets a bit bigger).

I just made my 1st mid-town online order. They were nice enough. I asked for everything to be shipped in a box and they put that into my order.

Got my books and most of them were damaged (5 out of 6). We shall see how the return / replacement process goes.

Took a while, but they did replace all 6 of the comics and sent me back 6 9.8 candidates.

Which makes me wonder if they cherry pick for themselves.

Midtown is fine for me. They did change their shipping some years back. It was probably when they started getting more customers. I believe originally they put peanuts into the boxes. And might have even wrapped the comics in bubblewrap. Now they just use the larger sized bubblewrap in boxes. And the cardboard mailer for smaller / few comic orders.

They've always sent replacements when on occasion I get a damaged order or not NM comic.

I just received my first comic from Midtown....not good.

I bought 1 comic (Limited Comix ASM 1 Adi Granov Variant) and it was listed as NM. It arrived in a flimsy cardboard envelope with one super thin piece of cardboard. The cardboard envelope had a kink it in even before I opened it.

Looking at the comic...sure enough it has a nice spine impact bend. doh!

My last purchase from them. :(

I just received my first comic from Midtown....not good.

I bought 1 comic (Limited Comix ASM 1 Adi Granov Variant) and it was listed as NM. It arrived in a flimsy cardboard envelope with one super thin piece of cardboard. The cardboard envelope had a kink it in even before I opened it.

Looking at the comic...sure enough it has a nice spine impact bend. doh!

My last purchase from them. :(

Those envelopes for comics are sketchy. I think Mile High Comics uses them as well. But they put more cardboard or tape the comics to a stronger board. It's always worrying to me as if my usual Postman isn't delivering the replacement guy always puts that envelope in my mailbox and it takes a 2 to 3 foot fall.

I try to order at least 4-5 comics from Midtown. Usually that's automatic box. I've seen a few eBay sellers that use small boxes that are better to ship a few comics. But the envelope is probably cheaper for Midtown.

8 comics gets you a box at Midtown. If you order 7, good luck !

I just asked as part of my order in the notes (and followed up with Customer Service) and got them so ship my under 8 comic order in a box.

Very nice.

I've only had a problem with 1 book from Midtown. Southern Bastards 1 showed up with a bent corner (all other books in the shipment were fine). I emailed customer service to see what my options were. They said keep the book and they would credit the account. I have a big pull order coming today so we'll see if the track record holds up.

Despite having a really good experience with my ASM 1 order, my most recent ASM 2 variants came damaged. The damage was not from transit, but by whoever placed a comic in the bag and board. They caught the back cover so it folded half way.

I contacted midtown and after a lengthy delay they are sending me a new one. On a side note, they put a note for all of my future orders to be shipped in a box.

I have contacted all of the companies mentioned in this discussion and as you all know none of them offers a "raw" 9.8 service. I know there are a couple of people/companies that offer 9.8 CGC subscriptions but does anyone offer this for "raws"?

You would have to think that there would be a market for this type of service but after months of trying i have pretty much given up hope. I have 7 LCS that I called recently and not one of them would do a 9.8 candidate pull for me. I even told them I would pay a premium and nobody was interested.

Currently I have a CGC 9.8 subscription for the Walking Dead and I have to pick out my moderns at my LCS. There are times I'm lucky to find one 9.8 candidate for some of the titles I collect but IMO that's the best option I have. I'm not going to waste time and money returning over graded comics to places like Midtown.

Agree with this.

I buy a few of each book I'm going to slab myself from DCBS. The cost of slabbing 1 myself and the cost of 5 copies is still cheaper then then normal 9.8 cgc slab service. Plus then you have a few extra left overs for down the road.

Just got in an order yesterday from Midtown, all moderns mostly Image books, couple of the DC Bombshells and a restock on blanks. Of the +30 books I ordered 90% had enough damage to knock 'em down to 9.0-9.2 territory.

I'm not a happy camper.