• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So this dude from Houston came to Dallas to pick up his HA auction win...

93 posts in this topic

Rick:

Whats the back story on this piece? How did it survive to be brought forward to this day? So much of the artwork of that time was destroyed, etc.

Congratulations on acquiring this gem.

As it was told to me, Jerry DeFuccio, longtime editor for Mad, was also an avid comics historian. He tracked down Fred Guardineer in the late '70s when the artist was working as a postal carrier in the Long Island area. Guardineer recounted that in the early days of DC the company was very slow to pay their artists. In lieu of payment an arrangement was made for him to have some of his artwork returned so he could use it for a portfolio to try to get additional work. His portfolio included a small number of DC covers. Ultimately Defuccio brokered the sale of the artwork. The Action 15 cover has now had four subsequent owners.

Thanks Ken.

BTW, got it back today, all framed up and ready to hang. Yahoo!

If anyone is in the area and would like to visit...PLEASE COME ON BY!

Thanks Ken.

How will I smell it?

Thanks Ken.

How will I smell it?

That, my friend, is an interesting question...

Rick:

Whats the back story on this piece? How did it survive to be brought forward to this day? So much of the artwork of that time was destroyed, etc.

Congratulations on acquiring this gem.

As it was told to me, Jerry DeFuccio, longtime editor for Mad, was also an avid comics historian. He tracked down Fred Guardineer in the late '70s when the artist was working as a postal carrier in the Long Island area. Guardineer recounted that in the early days of DC the company was very slow to pay their artists. In lieu of payment an arrangement was made for him to have some of his artwork returned so he could use it for a portfolio to try to get additional work. His portfolio included a small number of DC covers. Ultimately Defuccio brokered the sale of the artwork. The Action 15 cover has now had four subsequent owners.

Great cover currently owned by a great guy! Congrats again, Richard. :) Very nice of you to share it with your customers -- hope I can get down to Houston sometime to see it. :)

action15cover.jpg

I'm glad the piece fell into your hands, Richard! It has a good home now and is quite handsome in its new frame!

I well remember the discussion on this piece here on the boards. I think its an outstanding OA cover!