• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail Acquired: EC KO Punch UPDATED WITH COMPLETE INTERIOR!

57 posts in this topic

It came from a collector in So Cal who knew I needed the book and they reached out to me. The stars must be aligned for me. I consider myself very lucky. (thumbs u

Fantastic find! I know all of these "giveaway" books were produced for David Gaines, M.C. Gaines' brother and Bill's uncle. He was apparently in charge of all "non-newsstand" material which presumably was being produced for various organizations willing to use the medium to sell their message. The VD related books surely would seem to be related to the government, either the military or Surgeon General's office. I'm guessing military myself.

Oddly, I've never heard of what became of David after M.C.'s sudden death. It would have seemed that with his involvement already in place at EC, he would have been the natural successor to take over the company, rather than Bill who had virtually no interest at that point.

The interior of KO Punch. Sorry guys. I did NOT scan the interior pages, as I do not want to put stress on the staples. I will be sending it off to CGC

Enjoy! (thumbs u

KOFC_zpsd6a91d42.jpg

KOIndicia_zps1d0bf4ca.jpg

KOpg2_zps1d00e3db.jpg

KOpg3_zpsd3891828.jpg

KOpg4_zpsb4b240af.jpg

KOpg5_zps5bfe832b.jpg

KOpg6_zps0d68ee9f.jpg

KOpg7_zpsa9f2ccfb.jpg

KOpg8_zps7d571be4.jpg

KOpg9_zpsfc27bb3b.jpg

KOpg10_zps48cd6991.jpg

KOpg11_zpscf6db190.jpg

KOpg12_zpsb428d0de.jpg

KOpg13_zps13ed7117.jpg

KOpg14_zpsafbd38b5.jpg

KOpg15_zpsd3b9371f.jpg

KOBC_zps9981c4a5.jpg

What I love about this, is the story is pretty much a standard romance comic story from the era but deals with pregnancy and syphilis instead of some "misunderstanding".

Very cool! CONGRATS! :applause:

No, I have never seen an actual copy of this book in all my years of collecting ECs either.

Do you also have a copy of Lucky Fights It Through?

photo_zps588107ac.jpg

I would like to share the end of my journey for the acquistion of rare EC comics.

All these years collecting RARE EC comics and I have finally obtained my grail: KO Punch. :whee:

There are no reported sales other than a hole punched copy on Heritage back it the day, and other than the copy that resides in Jim Halperin's personal collection, I know of no other copies extant. I have personally NEVER seen a copy in my 30 years of collecting EC comics, or any comics for that matter.

Would it be stretching it to say that this is the RAREST EC?

photo_zps3339a92c.jpg

Has any other board members seen a copy or own a copy?

Quoted for posterity, I've never seen one. So cool. Wouldn't that be a great Russ Cochran reprint project? :)

Overstreet says Feldstein splash with Kamen art. But it looks like neither to me. Definitely not Kamen's style at all, but a good artist nonetheless. Not one of the EC regulars.

Overstreet says Feldstein splash with Kamen art. But it looks like neither to me. Definitely not Kamen's style at all, but a good artist nonetheless. Not one of the EC regulars.

Call me crazy, but it looks kinda like Milt Caniff to me. hm

Call me crazy, but it looks kinda like Milt Caniff to me. hm

You mean on "Lucky Fights it Through?" That's Kurtzman's work, one of the first things he did for EC prior to the War Mags (and of course, the early MAD.) As well as the occasional sci-fi and horror story. Even though he generally disliked the horror line, and his contribution to it was anything but gory (one of his entries was the "mad recluse hunter on an island, hunting two unfortunate shipwreck victims." Believe that was in an early ish of Vault.)

Others have mentioned, accurately, that it shows a strong Milton Caniff influence, which was true (Harvey was 25 when he drew it.) And after double-checking, it was in fact, his first work for EC. :)

The interior of KO Punch. Sorry guys. I did NOT scan the interior pages, as I do not want to put stress on the staples. I will be sending it off to CGC

Enjoy! (thumbs u

KOFC_zpsd6a91d42.jpg

Congrats on a great score! I know there is nobody else who will appreciate this more! Never saw a copy before.

Thanks also for sharing the pics of the story. An interesting read. Not sure how effective it is as an educational piece...it sort of skirts around the whole issue and then all is well for the straying husband at the end.

As for artist...Warren Kremer / Manny Stallman?

Again, congrats on picking up a really rare book! :applause: (thumbs u :headbang::applause: