• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name the single best comic shop in your hometown.

85 posts in this topic

A-1 Comics in Sacramento, CA. Clean, well-lit, well-stocked. If a book comes out related to your interests but not on your saver, they will pull one for you and not complain when you don't want it or for more expensive stuff, ask if they should order one for you.

Heh, lived on Mather AFB when I was in 9th and 10th grade (12ish years ago) and at the time my store was some place over by the AFB. "My Favorite Newstand" or something? I think while re-baggingandboarding my books I've come across plenty of boards with an A-1 Comics stamp on the board, or something like it.

easy answer for me:

JC Comics in North Plainfield NJ.

www.jccomics.com

visit it if you're local. Awesome selection of new books, trades and back issues. Strict accurate grading on the back issues, wide selection, very knowledgable staff.

I know we said one, but I have to plug another store:

Dewey's Comic City in Madison NJ.

www.deweyscomiccity.com

Dan Veltre, the owner, is also a friend of mine. Great selection of trades, and one of the nicest owners in comics.

Cards, Comics, & Collectibles in Reisterstown, MD.

That the place that had the 70% back issue sale this past week? They have stuff worth driving 90 minutes to get up there from Dulles?

Yes, without a doubt. It is an easy drive - 65 miles from Reston.

That the place that had the 70% back issue sale this past week? They have stuff worth driving 90 minutes to get up there from Dulles?

If you ride with Chrisco it will be a 180 minute drive. tongue.gif

Alternate Realities in Las Vegas, across from UNLV. Ralph is a true lover of new comics. Not much in the way of back issues, but Ralphs's passion for new stuff is reason alone to go there.

If back issues are your thing in a LCS, you would have to go to Cosmic Comics here in Las Vegas. The store is like taking a time trip back to 70's or early 80's comic shops. The owner even proudly displays his original MMMS certificates!

Yep. He has a good selection of mid-grade SA. Lot's off FF's. 50% off on Trades and 70% off modern back issues. I got a bunch of Alan Moore Swamp Thing's for about a buck a piece. Picked up "From Hell Vol. 1" (1st Print) for $6, Sandman #50 for $1.50, Sandman #75 for $1.25.

Shops that I used to frequent in my area, but are now gone....

Fantasy Illustrated

Superior Comics

The Land of Oohs & Ahs

Comics Unlimited

Fredonia Funnyworks

21st Century Comics

I didn't know how good I had it.

I have visited just about every LCS in the Detroit area. None of them have have high grade silver or gold in any grade. The best store in Michigan is the Collector's Zone in Jackson.

My suggestion to any collectors in the area would be to befriend Harley. He's a good guy and doesn't have a problem with wharehouse visits headbang.gif

My favorites in Eastern/Central Mass, in no particular order

Million Year Picnic

Webhead

That's Entertainment

Comicopia

Comicazi

Harrison's

I also regularly shop for new books at NEC Brookline and Newbury comics on both Newbury St. and at Govt. Center.

Shops that I used to frequent in my area, but are now gone....

Fantasy Illustrated

Superior Comics

The Land of Oohs & Ahs

Comics Unlimited

Fredonia Funnyworks

21st Century Comics

I didn't know how good I had it.

nearmint - I live in Mission Viejo so I feel your pain. I miss all the shops that used to be around. A little did you know info though...21st Century moved to Fullerton really close to where Amazing C & C used to be. I was there last week and they are no where near the old shop size...but still decent. Also, have you been to Comics Toons N Toys on Newport off of the 5 Frwy?

-Brian

Comics Toons N Toys is alright. They provide me with the weekly fix. Problem is that the store is the size of a shoebox and on new book days it tends to get packed. Overall worth a trip to check them out.

The best store though to check out, although I recommend it during the day, not on a weekend is Amazing Comics & Cards off of Bellflower and the 405. It is a 30-40 minute drive up the 405 but they have ALOT of back issues and huge bins. They sell alot of other stuff there (cards, figures, novels, standards...). To bad that it is just far enough away that I can't get to it on my lunch break....

-Brian