• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about letting "internationals" decide if shipping is too much?

235 posts in this topic

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

Because some will bid first and look at the shipping charge later, usually when they receive the paypal invoice. Then guess what...they don't pay! That's why we "Amurrricans" do that. It doesn't help that our postal service has raised overseas shipping rates to ridiculous levels. There also aren't any trackable shipping methods that don't cost an arm and a leg, so it's easy for overseas buyers to open paypal claims and get their $$ back, so we are out the $$ AND the item. You ferrrrreigners just ain't worth the hassle, sorry

since international are not worth the hassle as the above poster says, can I ask board members listing auctions that are ok with shipping to international to add this to the title of the sales threads: Itl Y.

It means you ship to international outside the USA. Why do this? To help your itl customers because I am very tired of opening a sales thread to see that ITL isn't an option.

Even better would be to have a USA only section, that way I don't waste so much time opening all those USA only sales threads.

*ahem*

I've noticed this annoying trend in the marketplace where sellers are saying they'll only ship within Amurrica because it's just too expensive otherwise...

Crazy thought: how about putting up a shipping quote that you know will cover it, and letting buyers decide what's "too expensive"?

Thanks!

Because some will bid first and look at the shipping charge later, usually when they receive the paypal invoice. Then guess what...they don't pay! That's why we "Amurrricans" do that. It doesn't help that our postal service has raised overseas shipping rates to ridiculous levels. There also aren't any trackable shipping methods that don't cost an arm and a leg, so it's easy for overseas buyers to open paypal claims and get their $$ back, so we are out the $$ AND the item. You ferrrrreigners just ain't worth the hassle, sorry

Welcome to the boards!. We need more members who have trouble reading; keeps things interesting.

Well, my auctions are almost over, and I did have one guy from Ireland ask what shipping would cost for one CGC slab he was interested in. I gave him quotes for 1st Class International, Priority, and Priority Express, and haven't heard back from him in over 24 hours.

-slym

I know shipping to Australia is expensive. I pay $70-$80 to ship a slab From HA.

So I always make sure the items are worth the price before bidding on auction and try to win multiple lots.

If E-bay sellers from states don't want to ship that's ok.

I've never bought off a US e-bay seller.

Just looking at prices for vg pre hero non key TTA books. I think the sellers get on the turps and then stumble their fingers over the key boards and price at 3-6 times guide.

My problem is the number of sellers who refuse to ship with anything less than priority international. I understand that it isn't trackable, and therefore buyers can be awful, make a paypal claim and boom - you've lost a bunch of cash. Or if the comics actually get lost in transit - you're both out of luck.Honestly though? Been using First Class International to receive packages up here in Canada. Never lost a single one in transit.

Wanna know why we prefer FCI? Customs doesn't charge us duty/taxes on it. Otherwise you'll be stuck paying $40 of shipping, plus $80 on top of the $500 comic you just bought. Next thing you know, you've paid way over GPA for a book you can go buy from a dealer at your local con for less.

And don't even get me started on ebay's international shipping program... The number of sellers that refuse to ship internationally without it is astronomical these days.

My problem is the number of sellers who refuse to ship with anything less than priority international. I understand that it isn't trackable, and therefore buyers can be awful, make a paypal claim and boom - you've lost a bunch of cash. Or if the comics actually get lost in transit - you're both out of luck.Honestly though? Been using First Class International to receive packages up here in Canada. Never lost a single one in transit.

Wanna know why we prefer FCI? Customs doesn't charge us duty/taxes on it. Otherwise you'll be stuck paying $40 of shipping, plus $80 on top of the $500 comic you just bought. Next thing you know, you've paid way over GPA for a book you can go buy from a dealer at your local con for less.

And don't even get me started on ebay's international shipping program... The number of sellers that refuse to ship internationally without it is astronomical these days.

1st class is fine to Canada, but I wont use it anywhere else.

Anyone shipping a $500 comic without insurance is a fool.

A fool and his money are soon.....

First Class international is fine, for anything under $40 or so. Otherwise, it's Priority with insurance.

First Class international is fine, for anything under $40 or so. Otherwise, it's Priority with insurance.

Nods in agreement.

And believe it or not, had people refuse to ship a book with anything less than priority international even when the book was worth less than that. Oh well - there are some great (or sketchy, depending how you look at it) buyers out there who will write a lesser value on the custom form with no complaints. I stick to those dudes.

When I buy books off HA and metro they always send it fed ex with no problems

I did do a trade with board member from texas and I got him to send the book to my works po-box and I sent his book by Australia post. Not sure the name but it was sent where a signature was required when delivered.

we both got the books with no problems

I wish our postal service was as good as USPS. They take your mail to be delivered !? Free boxes and bubble wrap ! is that correct ? I think Canada posts cheapest box is like 6 or 7 dollars each.

From what I hear, soon the post man wont even come to our houses at all, we will have to pick up our mail down the road on a corner.

We get USPS Priority Mail boxes delivered to our houses for free, but they can only be used for Priority Mail. If found using any part of a PM box anywhere else (say Media Mail) then the adressee gets to pay the upgrade in shipping to PM.

No free bubble-wrap, though.

Also, in some places, the USPS is (or at least, was) considering using "block mail boxes" so they wouldn't have to drive up and down every street. Being one of the atypical Americans, I wouldn't have a problem walking down to the corner to pick up my mail.

-slym