• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your choice 10k each...

121 posts in this topic

I truly believe both books have been sold by now via pm and heading to their new destination. At this point it appears there is no way Quadman is getting that book. Hope I am wrong though. :(
Unless Rick sells it to him. :wishluck:

I truly believe both books have been sold by now via pm and heading to their new destination. At this point it appears there is no way Quadman is getting that book. Hope I am wrong though. :(

:wishluck:

:wishluck:

Thanks guys. And as much as that's a nice idea, it really wouldn't be fair to Rick. He did nothing wrong, was told he was getting the book and then agreed to cancel the deal in an attempt to keep things fair.

As of now I have no claim on the book and if they do work out a deal I hope Rick enjoys the book.

Also, as I have mentioned in other posts, Rick has made a very kind offer to me in place of this action #23 so he has already gone above and beyond what was necessary.

Interesting situation. Clarity in terms will always help. When I want a US sale only, it doesn't just mean I want to ship only to a US address. That's partly it - I don't want to go through customs, for various reasons. But I also don't want to drop ship to just any US address. Especially if it's a big book, it MUST be signed for on delivery by the buyer. Not the buyer's friend, relative or trustworthy third party.

As to third parties - the trustworthiness of the agent is not the only thing to consider. A prerequisite, certainly, but adding another party to the deal allows for the possibility of a number of very troubling and difficult permutations, having nothing to do with the agent's character. A true escrow process allows for risk management in a straightforward fashion. What is usually talked about on the boards is something very far removed from that.

The whole situation is a mess and could have been handled better, but I am not prepared to crucify and blackball the seller over this one instance. No one on here has ever handled every deal they have ever done perfectly. And if you think you have, PM me so I know to stay away from you.

I am sure the seller will learn from this and if he doesn't then maybe it is best to avoid him.

I agree, I doubt the seller had bad intentions, and I bet the seller will never make this specific mistake again or anything close to it.

I don't think anyone believes the seller had bad intentions. Only a hair trigger on selling the book and some poor decision making that often comes from the pressure of selling big books when more than one person wants an item.

Interesting situation. Clarity in terms will always help. When I want a US sale only, it doesn't just mean I want to ship only to a US address. That's partly it - I don't want to go through customs, for various reasons. But I also don't want to drop ship to just any US address. Especially if it's a big book, it MUST be signed for on delivery by the buyer. Not the buyer's friend, relative or trustworthy third party.

As to third parties - the trustworthiness of the agent is not the only thing to consider. A prerequisite, certainly, but adding another party to the deal allows for the possibility of a number of very troubling and difficult permutations, having nothing to do with the agent's character. A true escrow process allows for risk management in a straightforward fashion. What is usually talked about on the boards is something very far removed from that.

Excellent points. While the buyer paying by check reduces the risk to the seller, shipping to an address other than the buyer's home/business does incur some risk to the seller.

I can understand the seller wanting as a clean a deal as possible, but in hindsight his terms of sale should have been clearer and he should have avoided posting "book on hold" in the thread. That is hindsight, though, and after mulling it over, I don't think a problem like this is what the PL was designed for.

So all settled and the thread is closed?

No! The board demands vengeance! :sumo:

:jokealert::grin:

What took you so long Rick lol? Especially at that price. Wow, what a steal. Congrats to buyer and seller.

-J.

Seller's remorse because it sold so quickly? (shrug) I don't get it.

:whistle:

The whole situation is a mess and could have been handled better, but I am not prepared to crucify and blackball the seller over this one instance. No one on here has ever handled every deal they have ever done perfectly. And if you think you have, PM me so I know to stay away from you.

I am sure the seller will learn from this and if he doesn't then maybe it is best to avoid him.

I agree, I doubt the seller had bad intentions, and I bet the seller will never make this specific mistake again or anything close to it.

I don't think anyone believes the seller had bad intentions. Only a hair trigger on selling the book and some poor decision making that often comes from the pressure of selling big books when more than one person wants an item.

No one believed the seller had bad intentions? In the various threads on this subject, I know the seller has at least been accused of greed. Besides, boycotting someone seems a little presumptious over just one mistake that had no ill-will.

Is it too late to put in my two cents? meh

Seller’s terms:

Normal rules apply

OK- what does this mean to the seller? Does this mean per the Selling Forum Usage Guidelines? Or what the selling forum has evolved to where if you post ”Take It” in the thread it is yours no matter what unless specified otherwise?

USA Shipping only

OK- The seller does not want to deal with International shipping potential problems. I get that.

No Paypal on these

OK- Sellers choice. I get that too.

We can discuss payment/shipping/pickup options

OK- (This would override item 8 in the Selling Forum Usage Guidelines of listing shipping costs, times and method.)

This tells me the seller knows that a discussion might take place prior to a sale and I would assume through a PM discussion.

I have done a few large deals here 5k-20k if you would like boardies names lmk and ill ask them to vouch for me.

OK- Again another indication that the seller might have a discussion before the sale and I would assume through a PM.

I’m by no means a big seller here on the boards and fairly new compared to some of you, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Based on my thoughts above, to me it seems that a discussion would have been eminent. And the lack of the seller requesting a “Take it” overrides everything note, I would assume a PM with a “Take it” in it should override a “Take it” in the thread in this case. Especially after the seller posted an “On hold”. Shipping and payments can always be worked out. :sumo: