• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 3 will be about...

18 posts in this topic

The Dark Phoenix Saga, Lauren Shuler Donner apparently stated in an interview

rottentomatoes

I think the interview is linked in there, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. It's not what I wanted (which was the sentinels). I wonder how they'll change it, because as is, I figure the story in the comics is much to bizzarre for general audiences. I doubt the Imperial Guard will be showing up.

I wish it would be the sentinels because of the way the two previous movies were geared towards mutant hatred and the sentinels would be a nice cap on that. I thought a cool slant on that story would be Magneto discovering the sentinels being made, but not doing anything about it, so when the sentinels start rounding up mutants Magneto can become the mutant savior with his mastery of magnetism being the greatest force against the metal sentinels. Mutants would flock to Magneto and brush aside Xavier and the X-men, until they could reveal that Magneto knew about it all along and could have prevented the whole deal. Then, maybe Master-Mold could lose control and start trashing everything...or something.

Is everyone happy with the Dark Phoenix story or did you want something else?

Is everyone happy with the Dark Phoenix story or did you want something else?

Very happy. And I'm glad they are going forward in spite of Singer's departure. I much rather see the story now than wait many years, and have to rewatch the first two yet again, before seeing the final installment.

Jim

it will be very tough to top the Dark Phoenix storyline or even follow it up Kind of like Star Wars, once you destroy the ultimate weapon of the Empire what do you do? Destroy it again and again and again. Better to continue the anti mutant slant and introduce an extra X-Man or two per film and build up to the huge cosmic storyline

Ya know, the first two were good movies. I guess we will just have to trust the director to bring us another good movie. Not what I wanted to see, but who knows ...

I think it's important to realize that while it may not be what "hardcore X-fans" wants to see, it IS what a lot of the general viewing public wants to see... they can all tell that something was happening at the end of X2, and they're interested to see what comes next with the Jean Grey character.

Just think, if this one comes off even HALF as well as the previous two, future installments will be virtually guaranteed. The idea of "mutant persecution" is going to be a theme in EVERY X-Men movie. The Sentinels will come soon enough. If, in the third installment, the X-Men were battling yet ANOTHER government agency bent on the destruction of the mutant race, wouldn't people kinda pick up on the "theme"? Wouldn't they think it all a bit redundant?

The other practical problem is keeping all the recognizable character actors around for multiple X films. Better to finish the core Jean story off now while the critical cast members are still available.

Then, to continue the franchise, you could decide to bring in a new actor to play for instance Wolverine if you had to, or go off in a New Mutants direction with a younger/cheaper cast if you wish.

I think any comic-book franchise is only 1 stinker away from becoming un-filmable (see Batman & Robin, Superman IV). James Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars get a pass for occasional bombs... I don't think comics movies can count on similar forgiveness.

Strike with your best material while you can!

No big surprise seeing how the 2nd movie ended with phoneix flying over water and prof x saying everything will be all right.

The question is how much will they take from the comics. Jean displayed greater power where her eyes flashed orange a few times in x2. They might just develop the phoneix as a more powerful Jean?

She could just be a member of the team and fight the big robots. Who knowns?

After all the twists and turns the characters have taken over the years, I'll just sit back and hope to see a good movie.

The comics have become mostly writer/artist "interpretations" of how they see the X-men, doesn't seem any different with the movies. Just please, don't ruin the idea/characters - a la Batman/Superman etc.

The other practical problem is keeping all the recognizable character actors around for multiple X films. Better to finish the core Jean story off now while the critical cast members are still available..

Great point and you never know what the future holds so it is best to get the Dark Phoenix story out of the way while there is a chance. There may not even be an X4 at least not as we know it.

They might just develop the phoneix as a more powerful Jean?

But wasn't that what the Phoenix really was when the character was originally introduced? It was just the next evolution of Jean Grey/Marvel Girl. Of course various writers changed that interpretation over the years but there is no reason for the movie to do so.

The other practical problem is keeping all the recognizable character actors around for multiple X films. Better to finish the core Jean story off now while the critical cast members are still available.

Then, to continue the franchise, you could decide to bring in a new actor to play for instance Wolverine if you had to, or go off in a New Mutants direction with a younger/cheaper cast if you wish.

I think any comic-book franchise is only 1 stinker away from becoming un-filmable (see Batman & Robin, Superman IV). James Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars get a pass for occasional bombs... I don't think comics movies can count on similar forgiveness.

Strike with your best material while you can!

What do you mean Superman IV? III was a stinker. The first two were so good, I "allowed" III. But IV was a lot worse.

But wasn't that what the Phoenix really was when the character was originally introduced? It was just the next evolution of Jean Grey/Marvel Girl. Of course various writers changed that interpretation over the years but there is no reason for the movie to do so.

I thought (forgive me in advance not a big x-men comic fan) that it turned out that phoneix was a completely different entity. Hence Jean's story in X-Factor #1.

I thought (forgive me in advance not a big x-men comic fan) that it turned out that phoneix was a completely different entity. Hence Jean's story in X-Factor #1.

But that is what I said. Originally the Phoenix was an enhanced Jean Grey and she died. End of story and as originally intended Jean was dead. What happened later is just a retroactive change to bring Jean back from the grave which is not what Claremont intended originally. You cannot keep up with all the iterations, rebirths, back from the deads, and retcons that have happened over the 40 or so years at Marvel.

Otherwise at the end of the Spider-man movie we would see Norman Osborne jetting to Europe and sleeping with MJ (the movie's Gwen).