• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reynold Jay ?

25 posts in this topic

RJ's marketing term was "CGC Prep Service". I'm not taking any sides of this wonderful debate; my point was to simply update you with this information. angel.gif

A link I saw somewhere that talked about removing non-breaking color creases, correcting repeatable defects on the interior of the book, and cleaning it-to answer your inquiry Murph.

Where does it say "pressing service"? The only email I've ever received, which was the intro email for the service, from him called it a "prep service" and was beyond vague about what exactly that entailed.

Assuming you're correct, I'd be very curious to know what service this could possibly be other than pressing. Have you got any ideas yourself? I can't imagine what a "prep" service could do other than press a book...obviously they can't color touch it, add pieces, etc. So what else is there? confused-smiley-013.gif

Reynold has been an amateur restorer for a looooonnngg time. Maybe he's found some things beyond pressing that CGC doesn't consider resto (or maybe doesn't catch)?

I bought a book from him a few years back. I noticed a lot of his books were advertised with resto, so I specifically asked him if this book (JIM 124) had resto which he said didn't. Received book, which of course had color touch. It WAS graded accurately at NM. I think he's restored so many books that he's forgotten which books he's fooled with an which ones he hasn't. I received a FULL refund promptly.

I have, and have always thought, it to be a BS service. IMO, they simply take the book and "clean it up". Put it into a new bag/board, wonderbread any dirt off, perhaps dry cleaning? It could be anything and it could be nothing. He never guarantees a higher grade.

Brian

I'm not familiar with his current guarantees and/or warranties, but I've seen lists of books he's 'worked' on that talk about specific pressing issues and opportunities. It's pressing, please don't be this obtuse, you're better than this.

I've talked about pressing many times before too. So does that now mean I press my books also? Knowing about it and talking about it are different from actually doing it. Does he press some of the books? Perhaps, does he get books that won't benefit from pressing? Most definately.

Regardless, my original point is that not EVERY book is pressed. Despite popular assumption on here, where every time a book gets resubmitted and the grade goes up it's AUTOMATICALLY been pressed according to forum members.

From RJ's latest newsletter concerning CGC Prep Service:

"RJ will no longer offer this service, however we are happy to announce that Patrick Whitson of A-1 comics is offering this service. Write to PATRICK WHITSON TO INQUIRE AND SCHEDULE."

foreheadslap.gif

I had written RJ about the service and recieved a response from him. He openly admitted "working" on the books. He was very straight-forward and honest.

Work involved heat pressing and some form of dry cleaning (although he would not divulge specifics). He also told me that not every book was a candidate for this process. Also, that he could not remove color breaking stress.

He noted the entire process took from 10-20 minutes per book.

I saved the email. If anybody wants to read it, PM me with your address and I will forward it to you. thumbsup2.gif