• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

re: Trimming of Comics and CGC

23 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just got my first CGC comic today and I have to say that upon very casual and immediate first glance I could tell the book had been trimmed.

I measured it comparatively against other comics of the same time period and it is indeed 1/16th of an inch less in width than the other 20 I measured.

My problem is this: It is in a CGC encapsulated holder with the grade 9.2 blue label on it.

As i am new to purchasing CGC'd comics I must ask:

1. Is CGC soft on trimmed comics?

2. If it was indeed trimmed wouldnt CGC detect this and then note this on the label ( IE it shouldn't have the blue label )

3. Or am I just overly paranoid and this comic is a legit untrimmed 9.2 since it is in the CGC holder?

I will post a pic as soon as I can ( figure out how to do it )

Artboy99

You've got a few options available here:

1) The book is not trimmed and is simply a bit smaller than other books of the era.

2) The book is trimmed and CGC missed it.

3) The book is trimmed and was such a great job or done so long ago that CGC could not confirm the trimming 100%.

I would place my money on either 1 or 3.

Newt - how's pre-pre-pre-grading going? Or do they have you sweeping the floors in the vault??? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I'm enjoying myself. I still have a lot to learn though. I'm happy coming to work everyday so that's a good change in my life.

I espechially enjoy the pin the tail on the donkey wall that has numeral comic book value grades on it. It was fun to spin around blind folded and pick grades for people's books.

I'm kidding of course. yay.gif

Edit: Yes, it was the pin the tail on the donkey part of that I was kidding about. Geez 27_laughing.gif.

Newt - how's pre-pre-pre-grading going? Or do they have you sweeping the floors in the vault??? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I'm enjoying myself. I still have a lot to learn though. I'm happy coming to work everyday so that's a good change in my life.

I espechially enjoy the pin the tail on the donkey wall that has numeral comic book value grades on it. It was fun to spin around blind folded and pick grades for people's books.

I'm kidding of course. yay.gif

Edit: Yes, it was the pin the tail on the donkey part of that I was kidding about. Geez 27_laughing.gif.

So, you just have the blindfold? poke2.gif